News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'72 subframe connectors and torque boxes

Started by defiance, February 24, 2009, 01:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defiance

So I've got my car floating right now, trying to finish up the entire underside.  The rear end, gas tank, engine, tranny, and rear suspension are all out of the way, so I figure this is a good time to do a super-thorough cleaning and put on some raptor liner.

Then I remember: I need to put on subframe connectors.  Oh yeah - Shoot, better get those on there before I do the liner.  ONly makes sense.

Now the thing is, I do NOT want the us car tool / xv style connectors.  You see, I've got sound dampening material in the interior, and that stuff is a freaking HUGE ordeal to remove (I put it in long ago, before I knew I would want connectors).  So I can't weld on the floor pan without risk of fire.  So, I prefer the mopar performance style connectors (welded in, though - I'm cool to weld on the frame rails)). 

The problem is, I've been searching threads here, looking at pics, trying to get ready and make sure I have the right thing, and I realized that none of the pics I'm finding here seem to look like mine.  The MP connectors slip over the rear rail in a spot that doesn't seem to be exposed, right in front of the front spring mount, but that spot is covered with a plate with a hole in it on mine.  Is this a factory (or otherwise) torque box, maybe?  Can't think of why it would have had factory torque boxes, but whatever...

If so, how should I go about putting frame rails on here?  I assume it would destroy the effectiveness of the box if I cut it open to slide the rail in place, right?

defiance

metallicareload99

I initially stayed away because I have a 68, U.S. Cartool connectors and Auto Rust Technicians torque boxes.  But it sounds like you do have at least rear torque boxes (then again I don't know much about 72's).

Here is what was done on mine, they apparently installed the rear torque box first and then cut off part of the subframe connector and welded it to the rear torque box.  Looking at the photo, you can see the weld joint between the subframe connector and the torque box heading down from left to right at about a 45 degree angle.  I would have preferred that they installed the frame connector first, and then fitted the torque box, but I think this will be all right.

Second photo is looking forward from the rear.

I would think that you would be able to cut a slit for the frame connector to go through and then weld it all back up together.  Or you could remove the rear torque boxes all together, weld in the frame connector and then put torque boxes back in.  I think others here would have better ideas than me.  I have some more photos if needed.  Good luck
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth