News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any of you Trekkies want to weigh in on the Star Trek movie?

Started by bull, February 26, 2009, 06:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrdEe95Hs0

First off, I'm wondering what you guys think of the cast? There's a couple of surprises from my perspective such as Simon Pegg playing Scotty and Karl Urban playing Bones. Pegg can no doubt do drama but in some ways he seems a bit too much of a comic for the role. Maybe not, I guess we'll see. On the flipside Karl Urban seems a bit too serious. But hey, they're actors so maybe it will work. On a side note, I guess there's going to be a Tron 2 out in 2011 in which Urban is rumored to star in. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/

Meanwhile, Majel Barrett is dead but is still doing the computer voice. Her voice sounded pretty rough seven years ago in Nemesis so I can only imagine how it sounded just before she died.

Other than that I know little about the plot other than it follows the beginnings of Kirk and Spock (and to a lesser degree the other main crew members). And then they apparently fight against Eric Bana's character (a Romulan maybe?). Looks like they're going to be a lot of action which is always good as long as the story is strong. Anyone know any more about the storyline?

BTW, I'm not a huge GM fan but I really hope they didn't actually wreck that Corvette as shown in the youtube clip above.

A383Wing

I will reserve my opinion until after I see the movie....

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on February 26, 2009, 10:04:26 AM
I will reserve my opinion until after I see the movie....

I think it's well within our American rights to share opinions about movies before they come out. :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

BB1

Delete my profile

captnsim

I'm hoping it's going to be good...The franchise needs a boost. As well as a step away from the lovey dovey Next gen cast.

chargerboy69

I am not a Trekkie, but I  am looking forward to this one. It looks great in the trailers I have seen. I was glad to see Eric Bana in it, I think he is a really good actor. Good thing George Lucas is not involved with this one. He has a bad habit of making really bad pre-quils and ruining the series.  :rotz:

This might be a good summer for movies with Star Trek and Transformers II.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Mike DC

I'm not a Trekkie but the movie looks kinda cool to me.  (And this seems to have been their whole outlook for making this one.)

Old Moparz

I guess when actors get too old to play a part, or their character is killed off, a "prequel" is the way to go. Star Wars & a few other flicks did it & made a lot of money, so why not Star Trek? I'll probably go see it, it looks okay to me.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

defiance

I really want it to be good, and I'm looking forward to it ... but the "alternate timeline" aspect makes me pretty apprehensive.

Musicman

I hope it's good, but from where I'm standing at the moment it just looks like yet another sad edition of "Pretty People in Space".

400/6/PAC

KS71owner

I'm looking forward to it. I think Zachary Quinto will make a great Spock, and I am interested in seeing what JJ Abrams can do with a franchise that is not his. I've got the Enterprise from this movie as my wallpaper right now..... :2thumbs:

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

Mike DC

QuoteI hope it's good, but from where I'm standing at the moment it just looks like yet another sad edition of "Pretty People in Space".

Yeah, but that's about all "Starship Troopers" was.  And that one turned out to be pretty amazing. 

patrick

Saw both trailer's and, I think it's gonna be another classic! :2thumbs:
Didn't mind watching that vette, Fly either. :smilielol: Glad it wasn't a mopar!
Columbia Gorge 340 Rallye Dude

bakerhillpins

Looks like it is getting good reviews!  :2thumbs:

The wife and I plan on seeing it this weekend for our 11th anniversary.  :popcrn: Our first date was a Trek Movie! Her choice even.   :cheers:

:hah: Yes, we are geeks.

Here is the review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/06/AR2009050603913.html?hpid=topnews

Bryan

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

KS71owner

Going to see it tomorrow with one of my hot female geek friends. Can't wait!  :D

mikesbbody

Is it not on over there yet? it is here but I havent seen it (never have been into ST)

Khyron

I posted it in my thread... I really enjoyed the hell out of it!

Worth the money.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

mikesbbody

TruckDriver

I have no clue whatsoever who any of the new actors are. Never heard of any of them :shruggy:

Going to see it when its out on dvd.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

defiance

lol - spock is sylar from heroes, which is really going to mess with me - I never watched that show until about a week ago, when I noticed it available instant on netflix, and now I'm completely hooked - almost completely through the first season now, and I just realized this morning that spock was sylar.  Now when I watch that movie I'm going to be thinking, "look out kirk! He's going to take out your brain!  nOOOOOO! :P )