News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How can I get rid of my rear shackles?

Started by 73TXRallye440, February 25, 2009, 07:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73TXRallye440

After looking at my rear-end, I noticed that the rear shackles stick out and take away from the look/shotgun exhaust tips. How can I keep the rear height what it is and get rid of those exposed shackles?

Rolling_Thunder

are they the factory shackles or aftermarket adjustable ones ?  If they are aftermarket remove them and cut off the un needed portions....      if they are stock then ummm....    no idea...      new leaf springs and sliders maybe ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

73TXRallye440

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 25, 2009, 09:00:17 PM
are they the factory shackles or aftermarket adjustable ones ?  If they are aftermarket remove them and cut off the un needed portions....      if they are stock then ummm....    no idea...      new leaf springs and sliders maybe ?

here is a pic--

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

mauve66

how long have you owned it?? were they put on by PO? probably due to weak springs causing rear to sag but still needed to get up off tires, like they said you can cut the extra but if it still sticks out you might need new springs if you go to a stock hanger
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

73TXRallye440

Quote from: mauve66 on February 25, 2009, 09:44:30 PM
how long have you owned it?? were they put on by PO? probably due to weak springs causing rear to sag but still needed to get up off tires, like they said you can cut the extra but if it still sticks out you might need new springs if you go to a stock hanger

owned it a few months now. No, I dont know if Paul put them on.

Charger-Bodie

install new springs for the height you want and factory shackles.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 25, 2009, 10:23:41 PM
I agree, what about using coil shock too ??

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 25, 2009, 11:15:22 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on February 25, 2009, 10:23:41 PM
I agree, what about using coil shock too ??

I don't like coil shocks. I think the spring and the shock should each be an independent part.  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Back N Black

Paint the shackles black, less noticeable.  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Yep, new springs with new shackles and make sure they're black.  The car will probably perform better too because if the longer shackles are there to compensate for a sagging spring they aren't helping the spring performance, just the cars appearance.

73TXRallye440

Quote from: Ghoste on February 26, 2009, 09:42:48 AM
Yep, new springs with new shackles and make sure they're black.  The car will probably perform better too because if the longer shackles are there to compensate for a sagging spring they aren't helping the spring performance, just the cars appearance.

thanks. where online would i go to order both? is there one vendor I could support?

Ghoste

There are a few and pricing is a factor too of course.  I got mine from Eaton Spring in Detroit but I don't think they're the cheapest.  I'm 100% happy with the quality though.  Espo is a company that others on this site have used and have been pleased with.  Mancinis offer springs through mail order but I think they only offer the Mopar Performance replacement ones which you canorder through your own dealer.  A lot of people, myself included, dislike the MP ones based on a reputation for sagging early but many others can report no problems with them at all.  If you have a good sprign shop in town, they may be able to custom assemble a set for you or perhaps even re-arch your current set.  Personally I'm not a huge fan of re-arching but thats just me and I'm certainly no suspension engineer.
I'm not sure if your 73 requires anything unusual at the rear for springs but if it does, someone wil chime in here shortly.

73TXRallye440

Also, while im under there I might just replace the shocks too.

What rear shocks would you go with?

Ghoste

73TXRallye440

Quote from: Ghoste on February 26, 2009, 11:02:06 AM
What kind of driving do you do?

weekend cruising and redlight to redlight racing. :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

I would think you'd be happy with any name brand gas charged premium shock.  I know everyone seems to have their favorite and I do too but for the most part I think once you get into anything better than the bargain shocks you end up with a good shock for cruising.
I'm another one who isn't crazy about the shocks with the coils on them but thats an opinion.  I guess I'm just saying that if you aren't doing a specialized style of driving, do you need a specialized shock?  Some would say yes and some will say no.

Hows that for a generic answer?

73TXRallye440

wow, that was very politician-esque. :rofl:

can i get your top 2 suggestions?

Ghoste

Lol, fair enough.  The shocks I run on my car for general driving around are just plain old Monroe's.  For more spirited use, I have a pair of Competition Engineering shocks for the back and a pair of worn out ones for that go on the front for even more spirited driving.  Ideally, I would like to get QA1's for the car but it isn't currently in the budget.  I have used Gabriel in the past as well and they worked fine for me.  There are others who have been raving about the Edelbrock IAS shocks but I really no nothing about them.
It's almost like asking whats the best oil or spark plug.  Everyone has an opinion and until they have a problem with what they are using they tend to prefer it.

73TXRallye440

On the QA1's would it be the STREETERS or STREET STARS?

Ghoste

I want a set of the Stocker Star double adjustables.

Ghoste

Yeah, thats why it isn't currently in the budget.  :lol:

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Mike DC

Trying to buy shocks is extremely frustrating because it's basically impossible to measure one against the other in any way on paper. 

Imagine if the camshaft industry operated like this. 

Ghoste

Not only measuring against each other but defining them for every drivers perception of ride quality.  What I call firm you may call soft or harsh.

73TXRallye440

quote from eaton springs--

Rear springs are $479.00 for the pair and the installation kit is $85.00 plus shipping. In order to provide shipping cost's, we require the "ship to" zip code.

Ghoste

They went up quite a bit in 4 years and I thought they were on the high side before.  Did you check any other sources?

73TXRallye440

Quote from: Ghoste on February 27, 2009, 10:41:14 AM
They went up quite a bit in 4 years and I thought they were on the high side before.  Did you check any other sources?

no, still googling and not finding any other alternatives- weird.

Ghoste

Here's one, I don't see leaf springs listed but I'm sure there are people on the site that have bought them from them.  :shruggy:

http://www.espo.com/

This is another source.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/extraheavyduty.html

Mike DC

I've heard so many stories of repro springs sagging too quickly and heights being off from where they should be.

I think I might still rather just pay for Eatons and get what I want on the first try. 

73TXRallye440

QA shocks said to measure my height so i know what shock to order. My question is am i getting a good measure with those springs? :shruggy: or would spring replacement come first, then measure shock height?

Ghoste

Spring replacement first.

You know, have we determined for sure you need springs?  It's been an assumption all along but have you looked at them to make sure?

73TXRallye440

Quote from: Ghoste on February 27, 2009, 07:37:36 PM
Spring replacement first.

You know, have we determined for sure you need springs?  It's been an assumption all along but have you looked at them to make sure?

ive looked but dont really know what im looking at-- it all looks fine and normal. I mean, no cracks. :shruggy:

Ghoste

73TXRallye440

ill go take some detailed pics tomorrow. :cheers:

i appreciate all of your help btw.

Ghoste

73TXRallye440

Quote from: Ghoste on February 27, 2009, 08:58:51 PM
Too cold here to work on my own car.  :cheers:

LOL well it's 68 here, but ive got a 2 year old and a 2 month old both crying and getting ready for bed so thats my excuse :rofl:

doctorpimp

http://www.firmfeel.com/b.htm

They have everything you need for a 73 + car!  Bilstein adj rate shocks too.
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

73TXRallye440

doctorpimp

:coolgleamA:

My pleasure!

You can really make your car TIGHT with FFI!  It'll handle like a new Challenger when done!!

That'll be my next major purchase...  that and rims and tires. 

I already have the MP Hemi/440 HD (not SS) rear leafs and shackles with poly bushings.  I like the way it sits - but I've only had them on for a year... can't comment on the sagging issues with them.

Here's some pics:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,45513.0.html

73TXRallye440

doctorpimp

I was talking to one of the guys at FFI just yesterday and he reccommended Bilstein. 
They're not cheap but better than the KYB GR2 (they don't make gas-a-just fronts) - don't think Koni makes em for the 73+ fronts either.

73TXRallye440

got this from firmfeel today:

We don't have a direct bolt in (stock isolator style) leaf spring setup. We have the springs that would work with out the isolator setup, they are $260 set.

We recommend Bilstein shocks, they are $425 set 4, ($225 rears). Same shocks W/ or W/O rear isolators. 

Thanks Dick