News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fiberglass replacment parts

Started by BPTRacing, February 24, 2009, 07:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPTRacing

Any opinion on which fiberglass parts are better quality??

More specifically Showcars vs. Janak.

I am likely purchasing a clone project which has ShowCar parts, but i have Janak parts already.

Just looking to get some input as to which is preferred by the critical masses on this board.

That being said, I am probably going be in the market for some steel headlight buckets and wing washers if I can get this deal completed. 
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

mauve66

found several more writeups, even 1 that tried to get a sticky with all the vendors in 1 place but it didn't happen

i couldn't find any wing car stuff on the VFN website

i saw where someone said Janak was fiberglass, i thought they were aluminum???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

moparstuart

use the janek stuff much better fit
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Almost all of Janak's stuff is fiberglass. The only steel items that he has are the wing braces as far as I know. Janak's parts are far superior to the Showcar stuff, but Dayclona's stuff far outshines Janak's stuff. My best advice is to try to buy the best parts that you can afford and you won't be disappointed. Wherever possible buy the steel and aluminum stuff. You'll spend about 6K more but you'll end up with a much nicer car. That cheap fiberglass stuff will shake loose and fall off the car at some point. The good fiberglass stuff will hold up pretty well, except for the z-braces and headlamp components. A good round figure for really good parts for a Daytona clone is around 10K altogether.
By the time I had started on my clone, I pretty much had replaced everything that I had originally purchased. Learn from other's mistakes.  :yesnod:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Janak.    :yesnod:  better then showcars  :yesnod:  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Rene...you never call...you never write... :icon_smile_big:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BPTRacing

Thanks guys -  :2thumbs:

Pretty much what I figured.

Nascarxx29 thanks for the links.

now for the REST OF THE STORY.

Most who follow this portion of the forum know that I have been "in the process" of creating a clone. 

I have a complete kit from Ted Janak, new partial rear 1/4's and a WAY rusty Satellite. Yes, I have nearly 9K in parts alone.

My bodyman and I have been at odds for awhile, with my 70 GTX having been sitting for 3 years in the shop, still no paint other than primer. I have finally went and picked up the GTX, so no more body man. Of course, it am still out the 416cid SB stroker that made 610hp to the rear wheels which he dropped in his AAR Cuda clone.

Reminder - this is going to be a RACE/STREET/SHOW car - in that order. NOT a concourse mantel piece. 512cid twin turbo street car. I want it GOOD, but don't need perfect.  I was already planning on fiberglass hood and deck lid, but got bolt-on quality rather than pin-on race parts.

I found another mans project - already in primer "ready to shoot". But it has a Showcar wing and nose which he spent time on and insists they now look "great". He didn't like the fiberglass plug and made a copy of it in steel, then sold the glass plug.  Made his own fender extension and valance - look nice in the pictures. new metal 1/4 patch panels. Pin-on glass hood, pin-on glass deck lid. Includes 4-speed, dana, RR dash, and most of the interior. He is asking only a little more than I have in conversion parts alone. Mine may be better parts, but it's just a pile of parts right now - no body. (OK I gave $500 for a body but its barely there) 

If I get his deal, I skip a large portion of the bodywork/conversion which could move the completion time up a year or more. Hopefully, I could then re-sell most of my parts to offset some of the costs of the project car.

My Dilemma - I REALLY want this car to look good enough to pass the scrutiny of "MOST" self-proclaimed Mopar general experts with a  :2thumbs:. The project car is 2400 miles away and I don't have a good way of checking it out, and transports costs aren't going to be cheap. Another 12K out of my pocket is a severe pinch, especially in todays economy. But I REALLY want to play with you guys and have a car to drive again. Getting it done for Talledaga is a pipe dream, but I'm dreaming it!  Wandering around the wing cars at Monster Mopar  :drool5: really has me wanting to finish this toy! :brickwall:

(even on a flat bed I got several photos of the Birdible!)

I have grown to respect the opinions of most of the members in this portion of the board, and thank everyone one of you for taking the time to answer the questions I have had. I hope once completed, I will get an approval pat on the back from you guys for creating one wicked clone!

OK - done ranting  :brickwall: :brickwall:

On another note!

I did get confirmation from a buddy to allow me to take one of his 3 wing cars to Talledaga if I come up with an enclosed trailer, so I will be there with or with out my own car.  :2thumbs: Now I need to decide to convoy down through St. Louis or Indy.

"Soon to be a pretend Bird owner"
Scotty

Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

moparstuart

If you can afford it , buy the new project . Sound like a faster way to get what you want .

Old Moparz

From what I have read on this forum, & based on my past research & contacting Showcars personally, I'd be very, very, cautious about the quality of their parts. They used to sell through ebay many years ago under a different name that had feedback so bad, I was surprised they were allowed to remain on ebay. They had a rating of about 65% or so, with hundreds of sales. I never saw their parts in person, but I've read enough complaints about poor fit, finish, & lack of detail, so I'd never buy a part unless I can hold it in my hand & examine it.

It does sound like the semi-completed project is the way to go, but there is absolutely NO WAY I'd consider spending thousands on something without seeing it in person first. One person's opinion of good quality work, might be a pretty nasty hack job to someone else. The biggest worry to me would be the fit & finish of the nose cone & how the headlight set up fits & operates. If the less expensive Showcars cone had been prepped well & made to fit correctly by the current owner, then it might be fine. If it wasn't, then you might be spending a ton of hours & labor getting it right.

By the way, I actually have Janak's parts for my replica Daytona project & they appear very nice. I haven't assembled it yet, so I can't comment on fit.

(Nose in the bottom of the pic)

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BigBlockSam

QuoteRene...you never call...you never write... icon_smile_big

hey Mister , yea , this winter has kicked my ass, money wise and cabin fever wise . I'm kinda cranky these days . once i can start playing with my cars again . I'll be alright . I'll talk to ya soon Rene

that nose on that superbird looks good . if he's done all the hard work getting it to fit right . i would go with the parts on the car they look like they fit right . plus Janak's parts will need contouring to get them rite anyway . looks like a good project from here . Rene

kinda sad to see another replica project being sold . that was someones dream . most never make it to completion  . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on February 25, 2009, 11:23:55 AM
QuoteRene...you never call...you never write... icon_smile_big

hey Mister , yea , this winter has kicked my ass, money wise and cabin fever wise . I'm kinda cranky these days . once i can start playing with my cars again . I'll be alright . I'll talk to ya soon Rene

that nose on that superbird looks good . if he's done all the hard work getting it to fit right . i would go with the parts on the car they look like they fit right . plus Janak's parts will need contouring to get them rite anyway . looks like a good project from here . Rene

kinda sad to see another replica project being sold . that was someones dream . most never make it to completion  . Rene
I got one down , one in the works ,i'm slow but i get them done  LOL

pettybird

Quote from: BPTRacing on February 25, 2009, 02:20:11 AM
I have grown to respect the opinions of most of the members in this portion of the board

well, there's your first mistake...

RTDaddy

BP,
I used Janak's stuff, relatively good fit, but you will have to tweak anybody's stuff.  If you want to look ,go to www.wwnboa.org, the the table of content, and look at Barry and Rita's Daytona feature car.  Took 3 years of "spare" time.  The rist year it went to Carlisle, a guy was just sure it was one of the first Daytona's built.  I would say you would be ahead of the game to buy the partial project, as you will get to see how the stuff goes together as you take it apart.  I have looked over a lot of clone 'birds, as I was looking at doing one, so PM if you have any more questions or just want to ask.  I also hang out in the chat room on occaision, (when there's someone else to talk to.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

moparstuart

Quote from: RTDaddy on February 25, 2009, 06:53:06 PM
BP,
I used Janak's stuff, relatively good fit, but you will have to tweak anybody's stuff.  If you want to look ,go to www.wwnboa.org, the the table of content, and look at Barry and Rita's Daytona feature car.  Took 3 years of "spare" time.  The rist year it went to Carlisle, a guy was just sure it was one of the first Daytona's built.  I would say you would be ahead of the game to buy the partial project, as you will get to see how the stuff goes together as you take it apart.  I have looked over a lot of clone 'birds, as I was looking at doing one, so PM if you have any more questions or just want to ask.  I also hang out in the chat room on occaision, (when there's someone else to talk to.

Nice JOB & great clone barry , did I see the car and meet you at the chrysler dealership in north carolina two years ago  ?

RTDaddy

Stuart,
You talking about Smith-Stokes Farmington meet, or maybe the show at Spencer, N.C.  or maybe the winged warrior meet at Marberg Dodge in Charlotte?

moparstuart

ww meet charlotte , I was checking out your car  then your trailer   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  if it was you , you had a v nosed trailer and you built up the floor to let your door open out the side door  ?

RTDaddy

YUP,
That Would be me.  The show at Tim Marberger Dodge.  You going to make the June Winged Warriors meet?

moparstuart

Quote from: RTDaddy on February 26, 2009, 06:26:49 PM
YUP,
That Would be me.  The show at Tim Marberger Dodge.  You going to make the June Winged Warriors meet?
That is the plan , I say that because the economy has been aweful and my luck with the birdible has been bad .  Your planning and activitys look great  and we are looking forward to driving out east to see ya .
  I can see why people think your car is a real daytona you did a fantastic job on it.  I love also that you rescued a salvage yard car and made it so beautyful. Most of my cars are rusted out rescues also .

billssuperbird

janaks is what i put on my clone. :2thumbs:

RTDaddy

Stuart,
If you like that, if you make it out, wait till you see the 70 Challenger T/A.  Had to replace the cowl, firewall, floorpans, trun floor, and left rear quarter.  Only reason I went through that is because the original running gear was still in it.  Also, as far as the trip, I have a deal worked out with a fellow mopar guy who has a rollback service, "just in case."

moparstuart

Quote from: RTDaddy on February 27, 2009, 03:11:28 PM
Stuart,
If you like that, if you make it out, wait till you see the 70 Challenger T/A.  Had to replace the cowl, firewall, floorpans, trun floor, and left rear quarter.  Only reason I went through that is because the original running gear was still in it.  Also, as far as the trip, I have a deal worked out with a fellow mopar guy who has a rollback service, "just in case."
thanks   :smilielol: :shruggy: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick:

here is a good shot of the rust birdible