News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 crate engines?

Started by Fitz73Chrgr, February 23, 2009, 11:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

In the interest of time, I think we may be opting to put a crate engine in our 73.  I, however, did not realize that the Mopar crate 360s had been discontinued, apparently for quite some time now.  What other options are out there for 360 crate engines?  I am not having much luck searching on my own. 

Thanks
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Challenger340

I think there are still a few Shops offering versions of 360 based Crate deal, I'm sure somebody else will chime in with "who" and "where", but sorry, I personally don't have specifics.

I think the Mopar Crates were "OK", but alas, they didn't seem great in the "longevity" dept., if a guy decided to "Drive it like you were MAD at it". Lotsa "failures".

"You get what you pay for" it seems.

What was your attraction to the Mopar Crate Engine ?
Value for Money ?

Mopar is BROKE !
They are cutting ALOT of the "less profitable" stuff, much more Performance stuff to follow on the chopping block.
If nothing else, if Chrysler ain't making enough Money on the stuff( and 360 crates), how can smaller entity Shops at THAT pricing ?

GM performance Parts Div. was also just announced as "closing", will return "when profitability returns" as in the announcement.

Sad times for sure !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Fitz73Chrgr

Yeah the main reason for looking into the Mopar crate engines was the price.  The car isn't going to be run too hard, so it doesn't necessarily need a heavily built engine. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Challenger340

If you're looking for just a "solid" type 360 engine for street driving, then I'm sure you can find a local Reputable Machine Shop in your area, capable of satisfying those parameters, probably even much better than the Mopar Crates.

Lots of resources on this Board for parts selection assistance or "suggestions", but, work with a good Local shop for Machining/Assembly etc. Get their opinions as well obviously.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat