News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Year one rant...

Started by Silver R/T, February 20, 2009, 06:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Who do you recommend for discount mail order speed parts for Mopar Bull? (a serious question btw)

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on February 22, 2009, 06:53:14 PM
Who do you recommend for discount mail order speed parts for Mopar Bull? (a serious question btw)

No one. :shruggy: Get what you can from Summit and suffer through the rest is about all I can tell you.

472 R/T SE

For the detail & restoration crowd, I've found A & M high tech auto (Bill) pretty hard to beat.  For some reason his site is down.  :shruggy:

Silver R/T

Quote from: bull on February 22, 2009, 06:47:35 PM
Quote from: gordo1968charger on February 22, 2009, 04:16:04 AM
i ve always thought the customer service was good with year one,had about 3 items wrong,they are expensive though and the shipping is too.
seat kit i got off them was PUI,front seat seam stitching is coming away after 3 years and very little use.

i think summit are the best out there,good price and cheap shipping.
an electric voltage regulator was 50 dollars from year one and 30 dollars from summit!

Summit? Summit is pretty good if you own a Chevy or a Mustang. I don't think Summit is a very good example considering their catalog has only 4-6 pages of stuff dedicated to Mopar out of 434 or so pages total. Sure there's some Mopar stuff mingled in with the other stuff but you'll get pretty frustrated trying to build a Mopar if you rely much on Summit.

Don't get me wrong, Summit has probably the best customer service and shipping in the business. They're just not that interested in helping the Mopar guys out.

Agree, Summit is not a company dealing in resto parts.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jaak

Anything Goodmark sells is available through summit... http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=Dodge+Charger&N=700+115+400463&rsview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Type in Dodge Charger then click on year 69, 3277 items match, they sell more then most think they do. It isnt listed in catalog, its on website. Now I know they dont have everything, but they have more than most think.

Jason

tommymac

I've bought a lot of parts from YO but lately I can find things a lot cheaper elsewhere,like Rock Auto,Jegs,and Summit.They got Greedy!

gordo1968charger

i ll be getting my forward light  harness from year one then i ll probably not bother using them again.
when i phoned up year one for my ssbc conversion they were more expensive than jegs,but when i told them this they matched the jegs price.
THEN FU***D ME ON THE SHIPPING!!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: jb666 on February 21, 2009, 08:33:40 PM
He says "We drop ship from various warehouses to make it more convenient for you".

:scratchchin: That's an interesting statement for them to make.

Knowing that they are mostly just a middle man, I read that and think that they're just taking your order and turning around and placing orders with the manufacturers.

There's nothing wrong with a drop-ship model for a business - unless the consumer can order from the same sources. Then, the only value that YO brings is a single place to spend all of your money - and spend more of it.. Sure, you save some time, but with everyone on the Internet, it doesn't take THAT much time and effort to find other or the original source of products. Maybe there's some value in that they can help make sure you get the right part, but so can the other sources...

Ghoste

Its sad to keep seeing these sort of statements over and over because they started off as so much more.  They were one of the pioneers of warehousing restoration products for Mopars (yes, they started with Pontiacs first but they moved quickly to include Mopar and did it before anyone else) and then it seems they grew into this.  I've used and recommended them many times in the past but it looks like that is over.  I only that whatever the locked arrangement is with M&H ends soon and the wiring harnesses are opened up to the other suppliers as well.

BROCK

Quote from: Ghoste on February 23, 2009, 10:27:32 AM
Its sad to keep seeing these sort of statements over and over because they started off as so much more.  They were one of the pioneers of warehousing restoration products for Mopars (yes, they started with Pontiacs first but they moved quickly to include Mopar and did it before anyone else) and then it seems they grew into this.  I've used and recommended them many times in the past but it looks like that is over.  I only that whatever the locked arrangement is with M&H ends soon and the wiring harnesses are opened up to the other suppliers as well.

IF YO continues on this trend....the wiring harnesses will be available from other sources soon enough.  I bought a trunk floor for my 70 from YO 10 years ago.  It arrived with shipping damage, so I got on the phone with their customer service.  They were more than ready to swap out the part!  So, I dug a bit deeper - because the beedrolls
looked more like a drunk day laborer used a planishing hammer over a crappy form.  They went & pulled another trunk floor from their werehouse for a comparison.  Long story short....the easiest thing to fix on that trunk floor was the shipping damage :eek2:  Back then, their motto was "If a better part were available, we'd offer it".  Just makes me
mad.  If a better company worked with the drunken day laborer....everyone would win - including the new, found a
purpose in life, employee that quit drinking :yesnod:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

bull

Quote from: jaak on February 22, 2009, 11:21:30 PM
Anything Goodmark sells is available through summit... http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=Dodge+Charger&N=700+115+400463&rsview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Type in Dodge Charger then click on year 69, 3277 items match, they sell more then most think they do. It isnt listed in catalog, its on website. Now I know they dont have everything, but they have more than most think.

Jason

That is more than I thought but type in 69 Camaro and you get 11837 parts. :o

ACUDANUT

Try 67 Camaro. They are better anyway.  :smilielol:

Troy

Quote from: bull on February 23, 2009, 11:32:12 AM

Jason

But that's not Summit's fault - I bet there are more parts produced by more manufacturers for the Camaro.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I tend to agree with you Troy because I doubt that Summit stocks every single one of those items they list no matter which car its for.  To be sure, they stock an enormous warehouse but I'd bet there are a lot of things that they order after you order.  Its no sweat to them to offer more, its the dollar they like not the auto brand.

RTDaddy

I used to buy a LOT of stuff from Y1, my tactic was to get a list together, have a discount card, drive down, fill out the list, which almost always generated at least 25% off.  And if the part wasn't in stock, they shipped free.  Well, that was before the internet, and before they closed the free shipping loophole.  Their shipping habit are pitiful, I recently got a dor lock rod clip, (the little plastic one) in a 12" cube box, RIDICULOUS.  They were one of the early suppliers for Mopars, but are getting beaten out by the more user friendly guys, (until they get too big to).

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: Troy on February 23, 2009, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: bull on February 23, 2009, 11:32:12 AM

Jason

But that's not Summit's fault - I bet there are more parts produced by more manufacturers for the Camaro.

Troy

It would be interesting to see though how many parts carry the actual Summit name for each different model. Theoretically, IMO anyway, there shouldn't be any more Summit-made parts for a Camaro than a Charger.

Ghoste

I don't think Summit make anything do they?  I thought they were strictly a mail order warehouse hawking other peoples products.

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on February 23, 2009, 10:43:02 PM
I don't think Summit make anything do they?  I thought they were strictly a mail order warehouse hawking other peoples products.
I'd say you're correct.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on February 23, 2009, 10:43:02 PM

Maybe, I don't know. If not they are rebadging parts because they have a big list of stuff with the Summit brand name on it:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=1968+charger&N=700+115+400304&Ntk=KeywordSearch

superduperbee

My main problem with YO was they refused to ship to a post office box. I live in a crappy area, stuff not safe being delivered to the house. I had to have a Go-Wing shipped to the storage company where I kept my car. Shipping was over $90

Ghoste

No, they're not actually making any of those parts Bull, they're just rebadging them.  Mancini's do the same thing.  There's a small chance that they could be making some of the easier stuff but I'm 99.9% sure it's all rebadged.  Like generic drugs or no name groceries.

694spdRT

Quote from: 69hemi on February 21, 2009, 06:54:21 AM
I use Mega Parts www.megapartsusa.com and deal with Roy & Jamie Stephens.  They are a father & son duo that has built that company up to a real nice place to do business and they will make you the deal you need without any coupons etc.

:Twocents:

I will second that Mega Parts is much easier to deal with. Most of the stuff for my '69 resto came from them and they offer even more parts now.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi