News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing new pitman arm on a steering box

Started by Blakcharger440, February 20, 2009, 12:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Hey is there any trick to installing a new pitman arm on the steering box for a 70 Charger RT? Can you just tap the pitman arm on with a ruber mallet and then snug it down with the nut and washer until it seats?

70sixpkrt

I would like to know also. I'm going to install my new pitman arm tomorrow.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Chatt69chgr

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on February 20, 2009, 12:13:31 PM
Hey is there any trick to installing a new pitman arm on the steering box for a 70 Charger RT? Can you just tap the pitman arm on with a ruber mallet and then snug it down with the nut and washer until it seats?

Yes - Make sure the box shaft is centered in its left-right travel and line up the splines properly first. It should slide on far enough to put the washer and nut on without tapping with a mallet. Then torque it down to the specified torque.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 21, 2009, 11:31:37 PM

Yes - Make sure the box shaft is centered in its left-right travel and line up the splines properly first. It should slide on far enough to put the washer and nut on without tapping with a mallet. Then torque it down to the specified torque.
:iagree:  Also make sure wheels are on the ground when torquing
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

70sixpkrt

I just installed my pitman arm and nut. I have to buy a socket to torque down the nut. I did not think about torqueing it down when the wheels are on the ground.

Blakcharger440

Too make sure the box shaft is centered in its left/right travel would you just mount the box,place the pitman arm on without torquing it and then swing it back and forth to check where center is and if needed then adjust the arm on the splines?

70sixpkrt

I put the steering wheel with coupler on instead of the pitman arm first that way you can count the turns by turning the steering wheel. If it is a new box your steering wheel might not be dead centered. If that is the case, like mine, you will have to adjust the toe in buy adjusting the tie rod sleeves. Mine was off by a 1/4 turn.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on February 22, 2009, 09:42:51 PM

Too make sure the box shaft is centered in its left/right travel would you just mount the box,place the pitman arm on without torquing it and then swing it back and forth to check where center is and if needed then adjust the arm on the splines?

You can do that or if the steering column is attached do it with the steering wheel as stated already. If not attached you can turn the coupler shaft by hand and center it by going full left and right counting how many turns and split it in half. The notch in the spline should be straight up. I think the pitman arm goes on 3 different ways so pay attention there.

The70RT

Mine would only go on one way.... :shruggy: I just centered the wheels and it fit right on. mine is on jack strands so don't tighten what end?....or both?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maxwellwedge

Quote from: The70RT on February 23, 2009, 01:40:35 PM
Mine would only go on one way.... :shruggy: I just centered the wheels and it fit right on. mine is on jack strands so don't tighten what end?....or both?

Tighten and torque both ends and you are good to go. A torque check with the car on the ground is a good idea but usually more important if it was the lower control arms and strut rods that were installed. Don't forget the cotter pin on the one end. Make sure your alignment is good before any 12 second 1/4 blasts!

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free