News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how much better will the charger hook on 275/60 DR's vs 295/50 street BFG's?

Started by 73TXRallye440, February 21, 2009, 01:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73TXRallye440

Going to get the 275/60 Drag Radials installed this afternoon. Currently running 295/50 BFG street tires. Will I notice much of  difference? :shruggy:

Steve P.

You will definitely see and feel a difference. The 275/60's are taller and thinner, but they will hook your power to the road MUCH better than the BFG's ever thought about.

What size wheel are they going on?? 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

73TXRallye440

471_Magnum

Depends which DR's. I presume BFGs?

I made a switch from BFG T/A's to Nitto 555Rs and noticed a HUGE difference. I still had to modulate the throttle through first gear, but not near as bad. First gear was pretty much worthless in with the T/A's.

This was way back when I was running the automatic w/ 2800 stall, and 3.55 gears behind the 471 and no traction aids other than the factory pinion snubber.

They generally need a quick burn out to clean them off to realize much benefit. The Nittos were soft enough to pick up small sandy aggregate, and were actually a bit slippery under normal conditions, particulary on cold days.

You won't mistake them for slicks.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

73TXRallye440

Steve P.

I don't have any info myself on the NITTO DR's. I know of very many using the M/T drag Rad's and love them.

The only potential trouble I see is the recommended rim width for the 275/60 is 9.5" max.  In the "OLD DAYS", the tire companies always said it was best to try to match the rim width with the tread width. Much has changed in tires since then so flip a coin... The 325/50 would be your next shot if you have the room for the additional width. I take it you have figured in height already since you're looking at the 275/60's.. The 325/50's will fit your rims... Don't know about the car...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

471_Magnum

Quote from: 73TXRallye440 on February 21, 2009, 01:40:42 PM
they are the NITTO Drag Radials.

My feelings on the Nittos are pretty well documented. You can check the archives both here and on Moparts.

I ran them on the Charger during two different periods. First behind the auto w/3.55s, and later behind the 5 speed with 4.10s. I put a lot of miles on them, including a Long Haul on a very wet 2007 Hot Rod Power Tour. I think they are by far the best choice if you plan to put significant highway miles on the car. Nothing else has a comparable UTQG for load, wear and temp, or speed rating.

I'm sure you've already done the homework though.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

FLG

Sorry to hijack, but is there a good drag radial out there with white lettering? besides hosier tires