News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's wrong with my 383 in my 68 Charger

Started by Sjarger, February 18, 2009, 02:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sjarger

Please copy and paste link      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKZCUbPdk5Q
My 383 is not running right when I just started it. The squeeki noise is my coolerfan I guess or one of the beltdrives.  :-\

When starting, the whole car is shaking and there is a cloud coming out the exhaust that smells like gasoline. It seems that the engine is only running on a few cilinders instead of eight. When I push my pedal the engine is shaking wildly and the whole car is shaking as well but it keeps running and you can't hear a hard backfiring noise.

When I just started it I can not drive it. It only rolls slowly ahead or reverse. I already changed the rotor en distributorcap.

After like 5 minutes idling when it gets a little heat I can drive the car. When I drive it your hear a sound from the exhaust/engine like: bof/plof and then the car has a hickup for a half second and than runs further to the the next Bof/Plof etc. But it runs quit nice. The choke is comig off as well after like 10 minutes.
When I drove the car and park it for like 2 hours and drive it again, I don't have to idle it for like 5 minutes. I can hop in and drive BUT the car is still giving the BOF sound and the engine hicks-up.

Finally after many years getting some change togehter to buy me my dreamcar, the car isn't running well and I can not just hop in and drive it. The former owner did not say anything about it. I bought the car as a good runner/daily driver.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my 383?  :shruggy:

THANKS from Amsterdam, The Netherlands in Europe  :2thumbs:
Greet Barry

FLG

Pull the valve covers and inspect everything. Dont keep running the engine until you figure out the problem.

adrian1

Quote from: FLG on February 18, 2009, 03:05:33 PM
Pull the valve covers and inspect everything. Dont keep running the engine until you figure out the problem.

Exactly :2thumbs:

adrian1

Once you pull them off run the engine for a second if you don't see the problem right away. Watch for the oil spilling out

Sjarger

When I pull off the valve covers and inspect it, where should I look at? What can be the problem underneath the valvecovers?
Can't it be something like the timing of the engine?

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

FLG

Check the valves, rockers, push rods, lifters. The timing may be off but first figure out what that sound is. Bad timing might make it run like crap but you shouldnt be hearing anything like that. Donsnt sound like its running on all 8.

62 Max

From what I'm reading and your inexperience,find someone that knows how engines work and don't keep guessing! :Twocents:

Musicman

Sounds like the choke and Idle Mixture circuit of your carburetor is way out of wack and in need of adjustment ::)

oldschool

CHECK THE FIRING ORDER. 18436572 DIST. TURNS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

FLG

I agree with max, but it cant hurt to take a look before hand  :yesnod:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 62 Max on February 18, 2009, 05:38:56 PM
From what I'm reading and your inexperience,find someone that knows how engines work and don't keep guessing! :Twocents:

:iagree:

It sounds like you need someone that can work through the traditional steps:

Compression first if there is any doubt about the history of the engine
then ignition
then carburation.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

adrian1

Taking off the valve covers is simple. It can be done in minutes and then you can check what that noise is. It sounded like Valvetrain noise. Therefore check for extremely loose rockers. Something must be way outta wack if its running like that. This only takes about 30 mins of your time. ::)

adrian1

You gotta do it once to learn. If you do it post pictures and we can walk you through it. Me or FLG

warlock

A couple of things to check. Do you have a Holley Carburetor? The power valve may be blown causing an extremely rich idle and black smoky gas smelling exhaust and no power and stalling.

also if you are still running points, the dwell may be incorrect, and this also causes a rotten idle and no power, especially if the points are too close, not so much stalling though, unless you step on the gas

flyinlow

When was the last time the engine ran normally?

In cold weather with the symptoms you describe I would think the choke  pull off is not working right.

Take off the air cleaner with a cold engine. Open the throttle 1/2 way . The choke should be closed. You should be able to open it with your fingers , but then it should close again as soon as you release it.

Start the car . The choke should open slightly just  after the engine starts. The choke should open fully with in 10 minutes.

If you have already fouled the plugs ,they will need to be cleaned or replaced first

If you run the engine with out the air cleaner on the engine it is a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy.

Sjarger

Thanks for all the good advise.  :2thumbs:

The choke is comig off as well after like 10 minutes.
When I drove the car and park it for like 2 hours and drive it again, I don't have to idle it for like 5 minutes. I can hop in and drive BUT the car is still giving the BOF sound and the engine hicks-up.

This weekend I will try to install new sprakplugs and wires.
Also I will have a look at the firing-order.
The distributorcap and rotor are brandnew. The sparkplugs and wires I have sprayed with an anti-moist spray but that did not work.

For the squeeki noise : I guess thats my coolerfan ar one of the pouli's (is that an English word, I mean the round beltdrives, it is a squeeki noise)

What I think is stange is that after idling for about 5 minutes it runs well exept for the slight BOF sound and while hearing that sound the engine has an hick-up.

I will definetly try all the good advise because I just want it to run fine so I can hop in and drive !

six-tee-nine

Hey buddy,

I guess you mean puley's....

Did you try the Dutch mopar forum? You have a language advantage over there www.mopar.nl
You might even find someone who lives nearby to come and give you a hand...

Groeten....Koen
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

CB

Hi Barry, did you get your car running okay now?  :scratchchin: :popcrn:

Groeten uit Antwerpen
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500