News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I cannot sell my 69 Charger.

Started by deputycrawford, February 17, 2009, 12:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputycrawford

My family and I spent time at my Aunt's house after I started the Charger a couple of days ago. I told the family of an article in this months Hot Rod magazine about peoples first cars and how one man wrote about his dad driving the car to one last car show and smiling all day. We reminisced about the family having a good time in my car. It was also the last car my Uncle drove before his cancer took him at 55 years old. I'll never forget the smile on his face as he put it to the wood on a country road next to his house. I was worried he wouldn't feel well enough to handle the car at speed, but it brought all the life back in him for that moment and I couldn't stop looking at him during that drive. That is how I wanted to remember him. My family knows how hard I worked to keep that thing through my divorce and my friends know that car as my identity.
      My aunt offered the barn as storage as long and as much as I want for years to come. My father offered to front the money down on a house, if I can find one I like in my price range with a million car garage. My closest friends, most who own car businesses, all offered to fix the small things on the car for the price of parts. Long story short, I'm pulling the sale of the car. It's no longer for sale. I feel relief that I don't have to sell it and can move on with it in my life. It has been my lifelong dream to own one and I get quite a bit of attention and notoriety from the car.
      I can't help but feel a bit sad that I cried "wolf" and hope some don't think I did it to see how much It is worth. That's why I posted a money amount and would have taken fair offers. I got calls and emails on the car but had not had any offers. I hope I stopped the sale early enough to keep from offending anyone. I would like to apologise to to Bob from Clevland for driving all the way to see the car for nothing. It was getting it running for him that started me down the road of excitment again. That and the magazine article cemented the realization that I must keep the car. It runs and drives. I'm almost there. I'll keep going. I hope others will post thoughts and comments about cars they let get away or cars they didn't sell for the same reasons I am not. I have not posted on here in quite awhile and have a lot of catching up to do. When it came down to it, I just couldn't say goodby again.

Again, I apologise Bob.

Jerry
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

captnsim

Well the way I see it is, Thank god things worked out so you can keep it. Too many people sell things that later on in life they regret. And as short as life is, who needs that? 

68charger383

I always hate reading the I had to sell my car stories, I like reading yours alot better!

Good luck
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

440charger68

great story, sounds like the car is almost like family in a way
life's a garden, dig it.

TexasStroker

I thought this was going to be one of those "horrible economy, no one has $ to make a decent offer" threads  :lol:

Having something "For Sale" by no means suggests you are 100% obligated to SELL it.  I can't imagine why anyone would think you were just 'fishing for a value' either. 

Cars like that are truly part of the family and you'd do nothing but regret it would you have made the sale to anyone...The fact that your friends and family pitched in to help entice you to keep it means they all know how much the car means to you and enjoy having you around, if nothing else to have the car around   ;)

I'd count your blessings to have friends and family like that!

Idk you or Bob from Cleveland but I'd imagine a steak dinner or something might make up for the trip he made if you feel bad about it.

Great story nonetheless!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

CB

Jerry
I feel great that you can keep your Charger. It means that this car is meant to be staying with you!
Don't feel sorry or appologize for pulling it off the market. It's is your car and your decision!
Have fun with it, drive the heck out of it but keep it safe!
And, I hope reading more interesting stuff you'll post in the future!

Mopar to you!
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Charger Aficionado

Well it's good you're not selling now.  With the economy in the pits, it looks like prices are waaaay down.

tan top

Quote from: CB on February 17, 2009, 02:36:28 AM
Jerry
I feel great that you can keep your Charger. It means that this car is meant to be staying with you!
Don't feel sorry or appologize for pulling it off the market. It's is your car and your decision!
Have fun with it, drive the heck out of it but keep it safe!
And, I hope reading more interesting stuff you'll post in the future!

Mopar to you!
CB

:iagree:   good you have kept your charger  sorry to hear about your uncle :angel:

good story thanks for posting
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: deputycrawford on February 17, 2009, 12:39:00 AM
      My family and I spent time at my Aunt's house after I started the Charger a couple of days ago. I told the family of an article in this months Hot Rod magazine about peoples first cars and how one man wrote about his dad driving the car to one last car show and smiling all day. We reminisced about the family having a good time in my car. It was also the last car my Uncle drove before his cancer took him at 55 years old. I'll never forget the smile on his face as he put it to the wood on a country road next to his house. I was worried he wouldn't feel well enough to handle the car at speed, but it brought all the life back in him for that moment and I couldn't stop looking at him during that drive. That is how I wanted to remember him. My family knows how hard I worked to keep that thing through my divorce and my friends know that car as my identity.
      My aunt offered the barn as storage as long and as much as I want for years to come. My father offered to front the money down on a house, if I can find one I like in my price range with a million car garage. My closest friends, most who own car businesses, all offered to fix the small things on the car for the price of parts. Long story short, I'm pulling the sale of the car. It's no longer for sale. I feel relief that I don't have to sell it and can move on with it in my life. It has been my lifelong dream to own one and I get quite a bit of attention and notoriety from the car.
      I can't help but feel a bit sad that I cried "wolf" and hope some don't think I did it to see how much It is worth. That's why I posted a money amount and would have taken fair offers. I got calls and emails on the car but had not had any offers. I hope I stopped the sale early enough to keep from offending anyone. I would like to apologise to to Bob from Clevland for driving all the way to see the car for nothing. It was getting it running for him that started me down the road of excitment again. That and the magazine article cemented the realization that I must keep the car. It runs and drives. I'm almost there. I'll keep going. I hope others will post thoughts and comments about cars they let get away or cars they didn't sell for the same reasons I am not. I have not posted on here in quite awhile and have a lot of catching up to do. When it came down to it, I just couldn't say goodby again.

Again, I apologise Bob.

Jerry
Well written, and I'm sure anyone with a beating heart can feel for you.  One thing you said hit me though.  " and my friends know that car as my identity."
I was telling someone the other day I don't know how to put it, but I love my wife and family with all my heart, but my Charger is my soul mate.  How sick is that?  :icon_smile_wink:  Point being we Charger owners can truly understand the connection between you and your charger and changing your mind to sell it.  If anyone truly wanted it, it would of been sold, be glad it didn't sell and never forget how close you came to selling it and relax and take it for a ride.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nh_mopar_fan

Jerry,

That would explain why I never got any pics!  :yesnod:

Congrats. Glad to hear that you can keep it.

Hey, ignore my email from this morning....  :icon_smile_wink:

firefighter3931

Well, that is great news Jerry !  :2thumbs:

My heart sank when i first saw your "For Sale" ad and knowing many who have gone through the big "D" it's sometimes inevitable that the most treasured posessions end up on the auction block  :icon_smile_blackeye: Thank God that this wasn't the case !  :angel:

I sold my first car (68 Charger) to fund university tuition and it made me sick. Years later i still regret selling the car but really had no other options at the time. It was the right decision but it still hurts. I've since replaced the car with something nicer and gone over it top to bottom but it will never be the original car i owned. You have good family and friends....be very thankful for their generosity and willingness to help.  :coolgleamA:

OK, time to make plans for Norwalk. You've got months to get ready and we need to get together and line em up...Guns 'N' Hoses style !  :poke: :devil:  :lol:

Win or lose you'll have to drink some Canadian Brew  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

triple_green

Great News...great Family and Friends...you are very lucky!

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

hemi68charger

Jerry...
That's great you're able to keep the car.. Like others have stated here, the car is not only part of your psyche, but it's part of your family's as well.. If you can get the help from family and friends, do it. I'm sure you have given before and all good things come to those who help others... I hope you can continue to create fond memories in the car with your family.... My mopars are etched into my bones and who I am....... Although they don't define me, they are a part of me......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Forza

That is fantastic that you're keeping your Charger! Glad it worked out for ya in the end. Here's to better times  :cheers:

Stay Safe
Chuck

69*F5*SE

Good story. It's cool that you decided to keep it.   :2thumbs:  Ted

deputycrawford

Thanks for all the understanding. I truly worry about what you guys think of me here so I was stressing about the decision. I don't have any of the stress in life I used to, so when the car started, I saw it in a whole new light. Everyone around me was supporting my original decision but got pretty vocal when they knew they had the power of persuasion to help me keep it. I will also answer my e-mails. I just worked 18 hrs of overtime in three days. I took a few minutes to put these posts together and still have to catch up on the personal emails. I will have to buy a steak dinner. I will even drive to him.  Firefighter, I will make it my goal to have the car drivable for the Norwalk meet. Just charge your phone before then.  :nana: I'll have to start looking around in here again and post my progress. I have almost no stress left and even lost 35lbs so far. I feel the better than I have in over ten years. I'm ready to dive into this project again.

Thanks everyone,

Jerry
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

CB

Quote from: deputycrawford on February 17, 2009, 05:40:57 PM
     Thanks for all the understanding. I truly worry about what you guys think of me here so I was stressing about the decision. I don't have any of the stress in life I used to, so when the car started, I saw it in a whole new light. Everyone around me was supporting my original decision but got pretty vocal when they knew they had the power of persuasion to help me keep it. I will also answer my e-mails. I just worked 18 hrs of overtime in three days. I took a few minutes to put these posts together and still have to catch up on the personal emails. I will have to buy a steak dinner. I will even drive to him.  Firefighter, I will make it my goal to have the car drivable for the Norwalk meet. Just charge your phone before then.  :nana: I'll have to start looking around in here again and post my progress. I have almost no stress left and even lost 35lbs so far. I feel the better than I have in over ten years. I'm ready to dive into this project again.

Thanks everyone,

Jerry

:2thumbs:

Yea, keep us posted on your progress!!!
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

d/ur/t

Quote from: deputycrawford on February 17, 2009, 12:39:00 AM

Again, I apologise Bob.

Jerry

Jerry I wish I had of done that.Would have saved me a hell of a lot of heart ache.

As you can see my charger isn't perfect but people realy swung around and smiled.This was the 75th homologation special to be built for racing in Aus.

Miss this old girl heaps.

cheers