News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just Another 69 Build... with a long story and pictures

Started by Long Island RT, February 16, 2009, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeahitsgotahemi!

Great job!! I love that custom dash, very nice work!

I was wondering how the brakes feel/work? I would like to use manual 12.19 wilwoods front/back as well. Did you use anything special, like a residual pressure valve?

Gorgeous Charger!
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

six-tee-nine

I like the subtile mix of old and new.

Really nice job  :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Long Island RT

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on June 25, 2010, 12:12:23 AM
Damn that thing looks bad ass! Great work.  :2thumbs:  so are you keeping those wheels or going with another set?

Thanks - its been a great experience building this thing.
My original plan was to put some chrome or polished 18's all around, but I've sorta got to liking the black steelies.  I think it makes the car even more unique.  Besides - I don't have the $$ needed for the new wheels and a still can't even decide on the style.

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on June 25, 2010, 03:10:32 AM

I was wondering how the brakes feel/work? I would like to use manual 12.19 wilwoods front/back as well. Did you use anything special, like a residual pressure valve?

Gorgeous Charger!

The brakes are still something I'm working out the feel on.  The pedal still feels a little soft - so when I have the alignment done - I'm going to have them power bled. I'll follow up later when I can really drive it.
Going to discs - I was told you don't need a residual valve however I did use a proportioning valve on the rear line.  I'll have to adjust with that to get even tire "lockup".

Thanks
LIRT
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

autodynamics

Real nice.I was wondering how it was coming along. The Headliner looks good. I see the windows are still out..... :icon_smile_cool:    let me know if you need help..... :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Looking REALLY nice! I'm not usually a big fan of Chargers modded to far from stock,but You did a great job pulling it off to where it doesn't look gaudy. Great Job!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Long Island RT

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on June 25, 2010, 09:38:00 AM
Looking REALLY nice! I'm not usually a big fan of Chargers modded to far from stock,but You did a great job pulling it off to where it doesn't look gaudy. Great Job!

Thanks 1HD - that means a lot coming from you.  Your "other" car was an inspiration for me early on to get back in the garage (I like the new project too - however I'm biased towards black non-wingers).
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Long Island RT

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on June 25, 2010, 03:10:32 AM

Gorgeous Charger!

Any update on yours? - I've got it bookmarked but haven't seen anything in a while.
What'd ya end up doing with the dash?

Foreman72

I jsut spent my lunch break reading and drooling all over this thread...my good man, you have an amazing charger that showcases amazing DIY work.  You truely have a piece to be proud of.  I LOVE THIS CAR!! :2thumbs:

also...that windshieldless ride must have been...wild  :lol: to say the least...

can't wait to read more!
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

FLG

Seen this car in person...pics dont do justice!

BTW didnt need to use the front sway bar, so will be giving it back to ya when time permits, so whenever your free one weekend just give me a hollar and ill come on by!

Thanks again!

Long Island RT

Finally I can say that I've driven this thing after all these years so I figured I finish this post up with my personal road test.
I'm about 150 miles in and other then a few problems - It's been pretty frigging amazing.

I had timing issues that included pinging and run-on.
I needed a new timing gun and set the timing at 35° total at 3000 rpm and put a gallon of toluene into a full tank.  That woke it up!  I'm running real close to 11:1, but now no pinging and no run-on.

I also have a bad oil leak up front - I posted about it in the engines section.

I have a vibration that starts around 60 mph - I can feel it real bad in the shifter handle.  At 80 my rear-view mirror is not even usable.... :rotz:
I'll probably start with a driveshaft check (even though it's brand new) and possibly re-install a new seal in the rear-end.  I've noticed a small drip from the front, and it's one of the few things I didn't rebuild from this car originally.  With 4.10 gears that thing is spinning probably close to 5g's at 80-90 mph.

I also had alignment problems.  With the all the aftermarket stuff in there the jackasses at my my local tire and alignment shop (supposed mopar muscle experts) used my adjustable struts to dial in the caster.  After a few hours back and forth on the lift, I took it home and got the lower control arms back to the right spot and did a quick "self" alignment. and it actually drives well with no pull whatsoever.

I also ran out of money and still can't decide on the wheels.  For now I bought some cheap black steelies and mounted my old cooper tires - the look is....different.

Enough with the negative!  Here's the good news:

Performance:
This thing is an Animal!  :o  I've not been able to open the secondaries in any of the 1st three gears.  I'm sure my old 275/60-50 Cooper radials have something to do with it, but the torque of the stroker motor anywhere over 3000 rpm is truly unbelievable (for the average joe shmo like myself).  From memory - there is absolutely no comparison to the basically stock 440 with auto trans that she used to sport.

I also forgot how loud and obnoxious this car is.  It actually surprised me at first - especially after driving regular old street cars for the last dozen years.  I've stuffed sound dampening insulation just about everywhere possible inside the car, but it's a tough conversation on the highway - and when you get on it - Holy Screamer!  The 3" exhaust and Dynomax Ultraflows can be heard for miles..... :yesnod:  Eventually I plan on some Mickey T ET Streets and this thing will go from dangerous to stupid fast (and even more dangerous).

The handling of the upgraded suspension is truly remarkable.  It blows away my 2005 Magnum RT (which has a lowered eibach springs and upgraded sway bars on 50 series tires with 18" rims).  It is a lot lighter than the magnum, but the steering response is excellent and body roll is non-existent.  If anything, it has a slight under steer (I think - the back will come around if pushed to the limit).

I lightly dropped the clutch from a dead stop in second gear at about 3000 rpm.  At first I though the damn thing was in neutral - until I started crawling forward.  At this point I can do a non-braking burnout for blocks.  Useless - but fun :icon_smile_big:.

On the highway - 40 to 80 feels like about 2 seconds and I can't even give it all she's got, because the tires will break loose at even 70 miles an hour (effin scary).

Some pictures:

The car is so black that at night you can't even see it..... ::)

Maybe get some shorter bolts and spacers on those sway bar ends.....

I gotta figure out how to get the drivers grill door to fit a little better.  I will say the the grill was one of the hardest most time-consuming, patient-wearing tasks, But they make these cars what they are.

Future plans:
Wheels (have no idea yet but I'm leaning toward 17" or 18" polished aluminum).
Front air dam.
Lowered about an 1" up front and 1/2" in back. (having trouble because my torsion bar adjusters are all they way out!) 
Real alignment.
And I need to finish up my custom center console.

Thanks again for everybody's help - I really don't think I would have gotten this far without this site.

Now get back into the garage and finish your car!

LIRT

Finn

Now that's BLACKED OUT! :drool5: :drool5:

I actually like the rims, they look tough.
What gears are you running in the diff?
Sounds like an E-ticket ride!
:cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

autodynamics

You have one wicked machine...Let me know if I can help you. Btw buy drop spindles trust me there worth every nickle ...

tan top

that looks a mean SOB with them wheels !!  :drool5:
if it were me i would keep them  :yesnod: :yesnod:  
 charger looks awesome !!  nice work !!   :yesnod: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
the driver side headlight door problem ! sitting a little low , could be the down stop broke off the door !  mine is the same , never noticed it while restoring the grill ,  even spending  a  week  restoring & day masking /finelining before paint  :slap:

only picture i could find is of the passanger side
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bakerhillpins

Um?! WOW.. that's cool.  :drool5:

Blacked out is right!

Ill join the peanut gallery and say I like those "cheap black steelies" on that car.  :devil:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

68Charger4me

question about your seats, did you have to re-locate your seat track bolt holes?

Long Island RT

I made custom seat brackets out of 1.5" angle line so I could mount the seats exactly where I wanted and use the stock mounting holes.  If you have access to a mig welder - it's very easy.  They cost me less than $15. (not including the mig welder of course)

One of the many details I didn't discuss in this thread.

chargerkid01

that is one effing bad a** car I hope mine looks that good someday!!!!

super_dave

Another vote for the steelies....looks like it could be Al Capone's ride....love it.

68Charger4me

so you used the seat tracks that came with the seats but just modified them to fit the original holes? Do the seats sit about the same height as the originals?  I have Cordoba power seats in my 68 and hate them, they got to go...Nice car by the way, i'm working on my resoration now,new quarters, trunk floor, and deck filler panel, enough to keep me busy over the winter !!  Thanks

Long Island RT

I did use the sliding brackets that came with the seats, this way I can adjust them forward and back.  I didn't modify them but I mocked up the placement of the drivers seat with pieces of wood and shims to get it exactly where it felt comfortable to me.  From there - I took some measurements from the bracket holes to my stock holes and customized a bracket to fit - making sure everything was level and centered to the wheel before the final welding.  With the passenger seat - I just matched the height of the drivers seat and centered it between the console and the door (that's were I realized that the tunnel is not exactly in the middle of the car!)

I never had the stock seats so I don't know how high they were.  I did error on the side of "lower" as I could always shim the seats up from the floor with spacers.

If you need - I could take (or may even have) some pictures of my brackets.

Good luck.

Also - Thanks everyone for the comments. 

I'm surprised how many people like the black 15" steelies.  I always wanted big shiny wheels, mostly because it goes more with the custom theme of the car.  The black rims are more sleeper "don't notice me" style, soooooo far from what this car is - especially if you ever heard it running.  I just don't have the 3G's for the Rushforth 18" Fuel rims I've been eyeing for some time.

Brass

I have been glued to this thread.  Excellent car, excellent work.  I also love, LOVE the black steel wheels.  Menacing, sinister, and stylin' all at once.  I think they say "F with me and I'll burn you down... then start on your friends."  Like a confident calm before an unmitigated storm of violence.  The point comes across without trying too hard.

I think you're lucky to have found relatively cheap wheels that work so well with the car.  Some people agonize over which ones forever and pay way more than they want.  Still, your decision!  :Twocents:

Long Island RT

Thanks Brass!
Now I want to keep them on  :yesnod:

Next step - Some sticky tires.

Anybody know of a stickier radial than Mickey Thompson ET Streets?