News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just Another 69 Build... with a long story and pictures

Started by Long Island RT, February 16, 2009, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Island RT

I've been using this post to document my build, and besides - I know everybody loves pictures (and video) so here it is.

I finally fired up the engine today!   It's almost 15 years ago (and some 15G's + later) I took this puppy apart and as I'm sure some of you know I was nervous as well as excited.  See - I put this car (so far) and engine together myself - and I'm far from an expert.  I mean I had to grind the inside of the block to get the 512 kit to fit in nevermind all the little details needed to put together an engine in general.

I tried a couple of weeks ago to start it - but never had any spark - turns out I had a ready-to-run distributor wired up to my MSD as if it was a magnetic pick-up only - duh  :slap:  With a bone-head mistake like that - it's amazing I actually got to where I am.

So as you can see - I'm still missing the entire front end - doors and interior (and some news wheels that I can't decide on).  But - before the winter came - I wanted to get it started and break-in the cam so in case I had any issues, I'd take care of it over the winter.

So - after a few different settings on the distributor - WHAM - she amazingly fired right up!   :yesnod:

25 minutes or so of cam break in and I had only two minor issues:
1. A coolant leak on the lower hose where it connects to the water pump (of course the hardest connection to get to)
2. A substantial oil leak from the Valley pan causing a nice run of oil to drip down the back of the block - onto the starter and eventually landing on the header.
I have a hughes 1-piece valley cover and and now have to remove the intake and loosen the heads just to get it off/fixed. - dratts 

Can I re-use my felpro-head gaskets - or since I broke in the cam - I'll have to use new ones?

Oh - also - my fuel gauge isn't reading anything - I think I bought a cheap-o sending unit and I remember seeing some threads here - I'll have to start  searching

Enough talk - here's me firing it up after the break-in:

The open headers make this thing sound like an animal.
By the way - that pro-form carb is awesome - all I did was bolt it on  :yesnod:.  Obviously everything will need little tuning once it all gets buttoned up, but all-in-all - A Great Day

1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

SG1022

Quote from: Long Island RT on October 08, 2009, 10:51:59 PM
I've been using this post to document my build, and besides - I know everybody loves pictures (and video) so here it is.

I finally fired up the engine today!   It's almost 15 years ago (and some 15G's + later) I took this puppy apart and as I'm sure some of you know I was nervous as well as excited.  See - I put this car (so far) and engine together myself - and I'm far from an expert.  I mean I had to grind the inside of the block to get the 512 kit to fit in nevermind all the little details needed to put together an engine in general.

I tried a couple of weeks ago to start it - but never had any spark - turns out I had a ready-to-run distributor wired up to my MSD as if it was a magnetic pick-up only - duh  :slap:  With a bone-head mistake like that - it's amazing I actually got to where I am.

So as you can see - I'm still missing the entire front end - doors and interior (and some news wheels that I can't decide on).  But - before the winter came - I wanted to get it started and break-in the cam so in case I had any issues, I'd take care of it over the winter.

So - after a few different settings on the distributor - WHAM - she amazingly fired right up!   :yesnod:

25 minutes or so of cam break in and I had only two minor issues:
1. A coolant leak on the lower hose where it connects to the water pump (of course the hardest connection to get to)
2. A substantial oil leak from the Valley pan causing a nice run of oil to drip down the back of the block - onto the starter and eventually landing on the header.
I have a hughes 1-piece valley cover and and now have to remove the intake and loosen the heads just to get it off/fixed. - dratts 

Can I re-use my felpro-head gaskets - or since I broke in the cam - I'll have to use new ones?

Oh - also - my fuel gauge isn't reading anything - I think I bought a cheap-o sending unit and I remember seeing some threads here - I'll have to start  searching

Enough talk - here's me firing it up after the break-in:

The open headers make this thing sound like an animal.
By the way - that pro-form carb is awesome - all I did was bolt it on  :yesnod:.  Obviously everything will need little tuning once it all gets buttoned up, but all-in-all - A Great Day

Holy Shit!! That is one badass sounding car

Not to mention the looks!  :2thumbs:

SG1022

No joke, I think I listened to that video around 15-20 times

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1969chargerrtse

" Oh - also - my fuel gauge isn't reading anything - I think I bought a cheap-o sending unit and I remember seeing some threads here "

Ya done well.  Looks and sounds great.  Take the sending unit wire and ground it.  If the needle pegs to the right the problem is the sending unit.  If not, start trouble shooting.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tan top

:drool5:  that sounds nasty  :yesnod: ...  finest sound in the world ! a V8 uncorked  :dance:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HITMAN 149

wow bro!!! nothing beats a BLACK CHARGER!!!!!!!
what seats are those you got in there????
LOOOOKS GREAT SO FAR!!!!!! keeeep up the great work!!!!!!!
-john
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Long Island RT

Thanks - It's coming along.  I've done some more work - time for another thread update...

These are the seats:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Scat/942/80-1000-51L/10002/-1

They are very nice for the price.  I have to say that if your a big dude - they might feel a little tight on you.  I'm only 5'6" with a 34" waist and they fit me perfectly snug.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

200MPH

I like this thread/build especially the custom Dashboard faceplate, excellent work ! :2thumbs:
Charger

Long Island RT

Update:

After breaking in the motor I removed the Doug's headers and had them sent out to Jet Hot for their sterling coating...

I also fixed the leaky valley pan - big job... had to remove the heads, and fixed the lower rad hose leak.  She fired right back up  :2thumbs:

I also got the rear painted and shaved bumper on.

Doors too....

Here's a shot of the polished drip rails and quarter window trim.

Custom rear package tray with 6X9 Infinity's.

Also just putting the final touches on the custom center console...

Now I'm just waiting for my vent window to come back from the chrome shop to finish up the interior.
I hope you enjoy the pictures!

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

FLG

Nice man!!

Im usually in long island a couple times a month. Would love to check it out one day  :2thumbs:

GTXtreme

what chrome shop did you use bc i need someone to redo my head light bezels

Long Island RT

I had the plastic done here:
http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/

I'm still waiting for my vent windows back from Nu Chrome in Mass.  I'll let you know what I think of those when I get them back.

GTXtreme

I've heard of nu chrome but never followed through. I guess I've. Been to busy wet sanding the window moldings to save as much money as I can for other things

greenpigs

When are you getting the front end back on? My daughter said to turn it off(sound clip) the car is too loud. :icon_smile_big:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Belgium R/T -68

I know the feeling of almost beeing there for the first testrun. :yesnod: Great looking car. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Long Island RT

Update:

Finally got the fenders and doors on, now just waiting for the hood and front valence.  Took her out of the garage and let it run for a while with the new 3" x-pipe TTI exhaust using Dynomax Ultra Flows. 
Even better, today I got a visit from the Autodynamics '69.  Damn that car is absolutely beautiful, in and out.  The details on his car can only be appreciated when you see it in person - never mind a quick jaunt down 231 - Thanks Pete!

Here's some pictures:

The TTi pipes were a perfect fit!

As you can see - I'm initially trying out some black rims.  If I want to finish the car this summer the $3K 18" wheels will have to wait.  I bought these on Summit for $42 each!  I cleaned up and mounted my old tires on em and now I'm kinda liking the look.
I'd like to lower the whole car about another inch - Problem is my torsion bar adjusters are all the way out! - Hopefully the glass and hood will take care of that for me.

Amazing thing is - My 12.19 Willwood brakes fit behind 15" steel wheels!

Here's my shaved rear with the polished stainless TTI tips sticking out - Maybe a wee bit to far but that's easy to change.

Here's a couple more shots because we all love pictures...

I'm a bit worried my hood will hit my Radiator cap.  How high above that crossbrace can you go?

Thanks All
LIRT

autodynamics

actually his car is much nicer than the pics show....real sexy and it sounds great.... wish mine had a lopey cam.... nice day today had a nice drive..and on the way home turned my a/c on for the first time since i finished it last fall...
cant wait till your done with yours.. always know im here to help...and dont forget to do the headliner first!!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69*F5*SE

Hemidog

Long Island RT

Time for an update.
Been spending LOTS of time trying to get this thing ready for the summer!

Got the whole interior in except for the final finishes on my custom console.

Those 70 original rear seats go together nicely with the aftermarket seats.

You can even see my headliner job in this shot... What a pain in the rear that thing was!

These shots are from this past weekend - I already installed the front bumper and valance.

All that's left is to install the windshield and rear window(trim is already polished and ready to go), get an alignment and install the heater controls.

Here's a closeup of the freshly washed grill:

That was one of the hardest parts to restore.

I finally took it for a spin on some pavement.  I can't believe the difference from the old motor.  Back in the day it had a mildly worked 440 with 3000 stall speed auto.  It would spin tires with a 3/4 romp and chirp second nicely under full throttle, but this thing is now a whole other animal. 
The low torque of the stroker is unreal - especially with the Tremec.  1st gear is totally useless anywhere past 1/3 throttle - can't even get the secondaries to open. 
Second gear is a little more usefull although anything into the secondaries and the tires break loose.  All the time I never brought the RPM's above 4500.
3rd gear will probably grab a lot better however without a windshield 50 miles an hour feels like 80.

I definitely need better tires.  Is it possible that old tires - although with plenty of tread - can loose their traction?
I also had the temp spike to about 220° after driving and idling for 5 minutes.  Back on the road it would go down to about 185° however.
My only serious issue was that when I slowed down quickly a few times the engine stalled - like it flooded out or something?  had to open the throttle to about 1/3 and crank for about 10 seconds to get it started again.

Thanks.
Feel free co comment

WHITE AND RED 69

Damn that thing looks bad ass! Great work.  :2thumbs:  so are you keeping those wheels or going with another set?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster