News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just Another 69 Build... with a long story and pictures

Started by Long Island RT, February 16, 2009, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Island RT

First off I wanted to say thanks to everyone who runs this site and shares their knowledge.  I can't tell you how much I've learned, and realized how little I know about these cars.  You've put me back in the garage trying to put my car back together - and I love it.  :cheers:

Secondly, my car is 69 RT (VIN XS29L9B103094) that was so far from original when I bought back in 1988 that it will never be #'s matching - so I went with my own poor mans version of a resto-mod.  I was 18 when I bought it for $1000 just because I loved the lines.  It had a 72 440 that burned more oil than gas and a roof so smashed hidden under the vinyl - I actually had to have it totally replaced.   :rotz:

Thirdly, I know how everyone loves pics, so here it goes.....

Back in 88 after I invested a years worth of hard earned dough

Specs:
Refreshed 440 - 0.30 over TRW slugs with the rest of the short block being stock.
727 with a B&M megashifter (the original console was trashed)
8 3/4 4:10 sure-grip
86 vette canary yellow (All done by me - it was a body shop I worked in to save up the $$ - She's originally a green on green)

I took all apart in 1992 with a little cash and big dreams.  A wife, two kids and mortgage later it still sits in bazillion pieces.  5 years ago I started the body work and even tried painting it myself, but I finally shelled out the dough this winter to have someone do the final paint. He said my body work was "good" - I agreed - no show car but an awesome driver.  And it will get driven.  Now the fun stuff starts - I get to put it all back together.

I started with the motor and transmission.  Here's a shot them in process this fall as the car was in the paint shop.

A tremec 5 speed on the bench and a 68 block that my dad had in his old Tahiti jet boat.  I've been rebuilding this motor and buying parts for it as I could afford for about three years now.  It was running great but he had to trash the hull - the old thing wasn't made for the power of the 440 and the hull ended up with some life-ending stress cracks.

Here's a shot of her in her prime out in the Great South Bay with Jones beach Theatre in the background.

Back to the car....
Here it is sitting in my garage today

So as you can see - I choose black.  Every time I saw this car in black - it looked awesome.  That's my dad's mopar powered T-bucket sitting in winter storage tucked into the corner of my garage. It actually has the 72 440 from my car pictured above (it was set for an automatic - and worked just right for him.  He's the only t-bucket in his club with 440 :icon_smile_cool:)

My engine:

Basic specs:
68 block - 0.055 over
440 source 512 crank and 7.1 rods  
Ross pistons - 10.75 overall compression
ARP studs on the heads and crank
Hughes hydraulic cam (.606 intake - .614 exhaust 108° separation with their recommended springs and lifters)
440 source 1.6 roller rockers - (I know - I'm a little scared....)
Edelbrock stage 1 ported heads from Hughes
Port matched Indy 440 intake
Proform 950 carb with 1/2" phenolic spacer
Firecore wires
440 source aluminum valve covers.
plenty more.....

I'm hoping for somewhere around 575 HP.  From what I read here I think I'll get it.

I got the car back around Thanksgiving and have been working on it like crazy. 
Here's some more shots:

Totally rebuilt the heater core and peddle assembly (thanks to this site!).  Some crazy kid back in high school made fiberglass floors for it that are still well in tacked today.  I know - far from correct - but very functional.  I like to spend my money in other places....
Whoever tells you a Tremec easilly fits in your tunnel - don't believe them.  I ended up cutting out so much to get it tucked up right I ended up making my own tunnel.

I'm sure somebody has already noticed the brakes.  Here's where I did spend just a little money.

Willwood 12.19 rotors and Superlite 4 piston calipers.  Yes - they DO fit behind my old 15" rims (barely).  I also went with Wilwood's 7/8 master cylinder, all new stainless lines and a Summit rear brake disc kit.  I switched to manual brakes because that cam will barely supply enough vacuum to work my headlights - So I found the biggest thing I could that would fit.

Speaking of rims....

Does anyone know what these old things are?

more car shots...

The paint is better than "good"

In this one you can actually see my reflection standing behind the T-Bucket

It's the roof line that drew me to this car over 20 years ago as a teenager.   It's one of the reason I decided not to go with a vinyl top - I think it stands out more all shiney.

It looks awesome here with roof of the T-bucket in the back.

Check out more fiberglass work done in the interior.

I made these back in the day as well.  I didn't like the way the SS Springs jacked the car way up so I custom welded the front spring perches to be an inch and a half lower.  I made those fiberglass caps to seal off the hole that it caused.   I did need like 8° of shims to get the pinion angle right.  I'm still on the fence about keeping it that way.

These seats are nice a and soft, but I do need new ones.  The originals were never in the car - Any recommendations?

My wife comes into the garage - "you've been working on this thing every minute of the day for 2 months - How come it still looks the same?" :icon_smile_angry: 
Meanwhile... I'm thinking I got further than I expected at this point.  Only now I'm running out of money again.

I put this post in this section for this reason (I actually have a question):

Another place I spent a lot of money.
CAP tubular uppers and lowers CA's along with their dynamic struts.
Firm Feel stage II power steering box, 1" torsion bars and 1.375 sway bar. 
That's right - It's a 70 K-frame!  My original was cracked so as I exchanged it with a Firm Feel re-welded one - I asked for a 70.  I never liked the way the 69 sway bar smashed into every curb so went I with the thru-the-K 70.  Besides - The roof was from a 70 - but that no-one would know....

Here's my question:

I finally got the car on it's wheels and rolled it around a little, but it's sitting very high (K-frame is about 11" off the ground).  The torsion bar adjusters are all the way out.  I know I'm missing the rest of the car, but what.. maybe 500-600 pounds.  That ain't gonna drop me the 6" I want.  Has anyone who used any of these suspension components had a ride height issue?

Firm Feel guys told me the 1" torsion should adjust very similar to the originals.
CAP told me the lower ca's are the same as the originals.  I have to say - when compared side by side - they are right - everything's in the same place.

I can't put the torsion bars into the next rotation of the hex - tried that - the LCA hits the frame with the torsion bar adjusting at 7/8 of the way in - with NO weight put on it.

Anywho....
Thanks again to all of you and I hope I didn't bore you with crazy ass long thread.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

tan top

:wave: ............. :scope:........ :o .... :yesnod:  lot of  of uprated hardware you have fitted there  :drool5:
going to be a awesome  charger when fully assembled :yesnod:
thanks for sharing the pictures & story .... would love to see more as & when  :yesnod: ..................... :popcrn:.........   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Back N Black

Welcome, you car looks awesome! can't go wrong with black.  :2thumbs:

RallyeMike

The rims are aftermarket and made by Keystone. If you are going to upgrade, I'd be interested in buying them.

Too bad about the boat. That was nice looking.

Cool project  :2thumbs:

RMike
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

skip68

:cheers: :drool5: :2thumbs:  Sweeeeet.  Don't let your wife see her pillows on the floor of the car.  :icon_smile_big:   Looks great. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

dm69charger

I would think that once you had all the rest of the interior installed and the fenders, hood, doors, glass, all the front end back on that it would finally put some weight on the suspension and that you would be able to adjust from there.   :2thumbs:

Sweet ride.  That black looks way cool.  Can't wait to see some more pictures so stay off the internet and get back in that garage and finish the job.   :icon_smile_big:
(2) 1969 Chargers

Long Island RT

Quote from: dm69charger on February 17, 2009, 12:25:03 AM
I would think that once you had all the rest of the interior installed and the fenders, hood, doors, glass, all the front end back on that it would finally put some weight on the suspension and that you would be able to adjust from there.   :2thumbs:

Sweet ride.  That black looks way cool.  Can't wait to see some more pictures so stay off the internet and get back in that garage and finish the job.   :icon_smile_big:

I was thinking that's a possibility.  If there's still an issue then, I'll cross that bridge....

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 16, 2009, 11:14:04 PM
The rims are aftermarket and made by Keystone. If you are going to upgrade, I'd be interested in buying them.

Too bad about the boat. That was nice looking.

Cool project  :2thumbs:

RMike

Now that sounds right - Keystones!  I bought them so long ago.
My plan is to use new rims, but probably will be one of the last things I buy.  I'll pm you when that happens.  I have to warn you though - they're the dreaded unilugs.

That boat was the bomb :yesnod:

1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

dads_69

Awesome charger by the way. What about the T bucket next to it in the garage?
Any pictures of it?

Welcome to the site also.  :2thumbs:

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Welcome to the site  :cheers:

Long Island huh?  Right around the block from me ;)  Hope to see you at E-Town or Carlisle some year.....maybe this spring? :thumbs:

As far as the seat question here is a thread with a great set of seats I mentioned that Autodynamics put in his '69
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53093.0.html

I think he's in LI as well....if you look at the link I posted in that thread you will see his build....he might have used some of the same suspension parts as you...

PS---please take the time to register the car as well....

Chris
www.1969chargerregistry.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Sweet looking car.  Welcome to the site and glad that this site has also benefitted you as well.

As for your seats, you might want to check out http://www.onlineupholsteryandmore.com/    Chris McMahon is the owner and a good friend of mine.  He just started coming out with seats that are a recliner and will bolt right into the factory location for our chargers and other b bodies.  He also does custom seat covers, door panels, and is even doing head liners now also.  He is located in upstate NY so that might even save you some shipping too.  Feel free to check him and and if you do call him, tell him Brian from NJ said hi.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69*F5*SE

aone415

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Long Island RT

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on February 17, 2009, 09:03:50 AM
Welcome to the site  :cheers:

Long Island huh?  Right around the block from me ;)  Hope to see you at E-Town or Carlisle some year.....maybe this spring? :thumbs:

As far as the seat question here is a thread with a great set of seats I mentioned that Autodynamics put in his '69
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53093.0.html

I think he's in LI as well....if you look at the link I posted in that thread you will see his build....he might have used some of the same suspension parts as you...

PS---please take the time to register the car as well....

Chris
www.1969chargerregistry.com

Thanks Chris - Those seats are sweet and that car is awesome - hopefully I'll see it around this summer.  They look like Corbeau Sport Seats with custom covers. 

I just registered the car on www.1969chargerregistry.com

Quote from: resq302 on February 17, 2009, 10:50:49 AM
Sweet looking car.  Welcome to the site and glad that this site has also benefitted you as well.

As for your seats, you might want to check out http://www.onlineupholsteryandmore.com/    Chris McMahon is the owner and a good friend of mine.  He just started coming out with seats that are a recliner and will bolt right into the factory location for our chargers and other b bodies.  He also does custom seat covers, door panels, and is even doing head liners now also.  He is located in upstate NY so that might even save you some shipping too.  Feel free to check him and and if you do call him, tell him Brian from NJ said hi.

Thanks Brian - I'll give him a call.  I have a set of black back seats out of the 70 parts car I used for my roof.  Unfortunately the original interior in my car was long gone.   Maybe he can match the pattern for my front seats.

Quote from: dads_69 on February 17, 2009, 01:59:58 AM
Awesome charger by the way. What about the T bucket next to it in the garage?
Any pictures of it?

Welcome to the site also.  :2thumbs:

Mark

Here's some shots of the T-Bucket from 2 years ago.

Since then - He's updated the front axle, added a soft top, aluminum heads and new air intake.  I'll have to snap some new pictures.

I don't know why he upgraded the heads.  The car is stupid fast.
Think 500 hp bath tub. :icon_smile_big:  It only weighs 1700 lbs.  You can't give it full throttle without smoking the tires or pulling a dangerous wheelie.  When it changes gears - you change lanes.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Paul

dads_69

Awesome T bucket. I've built/painted a few of them and ridden in some wild ones as well. Never a purple one though, way cool.  :2thumbs:
Thanks for the photos.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Long Island RT

Quote from: dads_69 on February 17, 2009, 08:19:38 PM
Awesome T bucket. I've built/painted a few of them and ridden in some wild ones as well. Never a purple one though, way cool.  :2thumbs:
Thanks for the photos.

Mark

Not just purple...... plumb crazy

autodynamics

RallyeMike

QuoteNow that sounds right - Keystones!  I bought them so long ago.
My plan is to use new rims, but probably will be one of the last things I buy.  I'll pm you when that happens.  I have to warn you though - they're the dreaded unilugs.

That boat was the bomb yesnod

Unilugs? Oh crap. I didnt look that close. I have 4 brand new 8.5x15's in the boxes (5 on 4.5) and have been looking for a set of 5 on 4.5, 7x15's for fronts about 5 years. I cant' find em anywhere :brickwall:

Thanks anyway.

Car looks awesome.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

mopar73

resq302

Chris (at onlineupholstery) has a pattern that is almost dead on for a 69 also.  His prices are also better than what Legendary's are.  May want to check into his custom door panels as well since he can pretty much embroider anything you want onto the door panels.

If you should go to his web site, check out the cars that are on the main page... I am pretty sure that I know who that charger and other cars belong to.  :coolgleamA:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

autodynamics

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

400/6/PAC

That car is looking really good.
Keep up the good work and post the pics as You go along. :2thumbs: