News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 output shaft removal

Started by Rayzor, February 24, 2009, 12:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

I scored a 727 from a motorhome that has the short shaft and bolt on rear yoke. Is it possible to swap the longer tail housing and output shaft from a car tranny into the motorhome case. Is it a major operation or can a normal hack with a bloody screwdriver handle it. Thanks for any advice. By the way the motorhome is a 76 and get this, had 1200 miles on it. talk about a low mileage 440 727 combo.

RD

you cannot remove the output shaft without removing all the internals in the main internal case.  the ouput shaft is snap-ring locked to the front planetary gear, which in turn, locks all the components behind in place.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rayzor

so what all is involved, pull the front pump clutches etc loosen the bands and tug it out. I have never been deeper in an auto then changing some seals and pump.  I like to do things myself but if I am askin for problems maybe I should leave it to a pro. I have heard the rv 727 trans is beefed up inside. Is it worth using or should I just rebuild the car trans.

Ghoste

You are basically taking it down all the way to get that output shaft removed.  This might be a case where you want to have a pro rebuild one of the two (or two into one).

Rayzor

Well took the trans to a shop today to get rebuilt. He is also going to take down the rv case and see if there are any heavy duty parts he can use in the build. Thanks for the advice