News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New 09 Challenger and Charger owners

Started by Daytona Guy, February 15, 2009, 11:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

I have had an auto R/T for a daily driver for about 8 months.
Size wise, I think it fills the niche of the intermediate muscle cars like Chevelle, GTO, Charger, etc.
more than the original Challenger pony cars.
And, yes, I have buckled three up in the back.

Very fun car.
People call them slow,
but a 13.21 stock down to the factory tires in an RT on 89 octane is a good daily driver in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CeDd75UJPs

A very different drive than a vintage muscle car,
but I really like it.
I also think it is the most retro/original type appearance compared to the Mustang and Camaro.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Pretty cool stripe to break up the side :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68charger383

Here's a cool youtube showing a three way drag race between a:

V6 SE vs. R.T vs. SRT8

Actually pretty close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCNUsUQRC0c&feature=fvw
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

ramairthree

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 07, 2009, 09:15:58 PM
Pretty cool stripe to break up the side :thumbs:

Thanks, me and the son put them on when he was 10.
Did not come out perfect but not bad.

There are lots of options for them, but that is the one that did it for me.

mikepmcs

here's my junker a couple days ago. just screwing around with photo programs.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

oh yeah, and I did put that exhaust on..2 dynomax ultras, and straight out the back.  My buddy Mike Parks of Parks Performance in Winthrop Maine was up to the task and it helps he's a Mopar freak as well. Spent a few hours of his time with me one saturday and didn't really charge me squat.
My tuner is programmed as well.
Pictures of exhaust mutilation are on this thread that I posted for Mikey.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62080.20.html
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

maxwellwedge

Did you use a canned tune or a custom one? I used the high octane with CAI. It seems to work well. I have the Borla, CAI and 180 degree T-stat.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Pretty cool pics Mike!  Wish the white car wasnt in the first one....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 25, 2009, 08:03:42 AM
Did you use a canned tune or a custom one? I used the high octane with CAI. It seems to work well. I have the Borla, CAI and 180 degree T-stat.

Canned 91. No 93 around here and don't feel like spending $20 a gallon on toulene(price went way up, I think they caught on)
Jet 180*
Rotofab CAI
Catch Can
85mm MMTB

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on October 25, 2009, 03:36:03 PM
Wish the white car wasnt in the first one....

Chris
You and me both, but given the crappy setting in the background to begin with(power lines, dirt road, weeds, etc....)it didn't much matter at that point. Can't get rid of that beast. Blew the tranny cooling line so it isn't moving and not a priority. Was gonna be a police rep but lost interest.

Mike..out.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Im thinking the contrary Mike....I like the rustic setting, the mist etc.  What program did you use to get the pic to look like that?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on October 25, 2009, 07:39:23 AM
here's my junker a couple days ago. just screwing around with photo programs.

Wow!!!  :o I LOVE that top shot!!!

mikepmcs

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on October 25, 2009, 07:15:06 PM
Im thinking the contrary Mike....I like the rustic setting, the mist etc.  What program did you use to get the pic to look like that?
I have no idea what I'm doing but here ya go.
Hee hee, I got a long way to go yet. :icon_smile_blackeye:
On this particular one, just screwing around with the following:
Photomatix
Photoshop
Topaz

TheAutoArchaeologist

maxwellwedge

Quote from: mikepmcs on October 25, 2009, 05:32:38 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 25, 2009, 08:03:42 AM

Canned 91. No 93 around here and don't feel like spending $20 a gallon on toulene(price went way up, I think they caught on)
Jet 180*
Rotofab CAI
Catch Can
85mm MMTB

Mike..out.

Catch Can next on my list - did the 85mm make a big difference?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: mikepmcs on October 25, 2009, 08:21:57 PM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on October 25, 2009, 07:15:06 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing but here ya go.
Hee hee, I got a long way to go yet. :icon_smile_blackeye:
On this particular one, just screwing around with the following:
Photomatix
Photoshop
Topaz

Nice!! :drool5:

Got a larger one for me?  admin@1969chargerregistry.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 25, 2009, 08:57:23 PM
[Catch Can next on my list - did the 85mm make a big difference?
No to me, but I'm not a good example. Maybe took a little bit of the flat out when you hit the throttle.
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on October 25, 2009, 09:21:11 PM

Got a larger one for me?  admin@1969chargerregistry.com

Chris,
You have now forced me to do another render.  If I make that one bigger it will show easily my sloppy work.  I'll give it a whirl tomorrow so I can send a  Chris worthy copy.  :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:
Yankees are driving me crazy right now, can't concentrate!  Let's end this thing YANKEES!

Bobs69

About the 5.7 hemi, if you take the beauty cover off of the top of it will it look like the 6.1s intake?

TheAutoArchaeologist

Sort of.... the 5.7 has a composite intake, not aluminum like the SRT-8.  Which is actually better because it doesn't absorb and hold heat like the aluminum one does.

Ryan

Bobs69

Real similar,  doesn't appear as tall.  Only reason I ask is I thought the 6.1 looked better, more intimidating with that intake.  Looks like an intake on a vette. 

I realize some would think I'm silly for worrying about the looks but this is a car that people are going to want to see under the hood.  Myself included.

I'm sure I read in a magazine that they were stroking and boring one of these bad boys to the magic number (426) that they didn't think there was any real difference between the 2 motors.

Any thoughts?

Silver R/T

Nice Challenger. I would have to note that this new "Tor Red" is not same tor red that was used during 70's. Two different colors and even formulas are different.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

71charger_fan

I was going to buy a 2010 this summer, but I think I'm going overseas again in the fall. So, I think I'll wait and get a 2011. No sense spending all that money on something that's just going to collect dust. I already have four cars sitting at home. The Challenger has made me consider if I really need to keep the Charger, but my wife says I'm nuts to even think about selling the Charger. So, I guess we'll have five vehicles in the fleet (eventually).

craigandlynda

the intro of the retro's may offer some interesting opportunities, challenges, and questions...i scanned thru this thread and am considering either buying a new challenger, or sinking money into rebuilding/restoring a 70's charger...
here is the dilemma...i can only truly afford one or the other...
a little background...bought the following cars NEW-  1966 barracuda S, 1967 GTX 440, 1970 Charger RT, 1971 Satellite, 1974 Charger Rallye, and about a dozen or more used mopar muscle cars..rebuilt about a dozen..enjoyed it "back in the day.." drag raced the GTX, 69 1/2 superbee, and 71 charger r/t..so i'm very much a mopar guy...

i am about to build a great garage...and have been looking for a fun project...however...now ma mopar comes along with these challengers that make me drool...
so here's the two sides, as i see it:
1.- a project could take 2 years to make street ready...and about $20,000 plus labor (free).  2. I am 61 yrs old. 3. Is a project car really good for a daily driver during the minnesota summers? (i want a driver- not just a show and tell)
4. If i have a fender bender, can i get parts to repair quickly? 5. Insurance for 10,000 miles per season? 6.can i depend on a rebuilt 40 yr old car to travel long trips?
The other side- 1. classic cars go up in value- will that continue, with new hipo's coming out? will the new ones reduce the demand, and prices, for the classics? 2.i like working w my hands on the cars always enjoyed tieing on a nice set of hookers after doing the headwork myself..3. $20,000 is a lot less than $40,000- for $40,000, i can build a garage and get a project car...

there you have it, i'm sure there are other considerations, but those strike me first....your thoughts ?

ps- anyone hear about the convertible model coming out, and when?

Ghoste

Right now I believe the official word on the convertible is "don't hold your breath".  It was pretty much squashed around the time of Obama's takeover and I think right now your only way to get one is through aftermarket conversion.

Chatt69chgr

If you can only do one, in your case, I'd do the project car.  Only because you have lots of experience and you "can't do both".  That way, you get to build the new garage and will have something to do with your time instead of sitting around watching reruns of two and a half men or whatever.  If you buy the new car after a while your going to be real bored----like all winter when you have the Challenger parked.  I'm predicating this on the fact that you will keep busy and have a something fun to do.  I would not base it on the older car appreciating in value.  It might or it might not.  As far as spare part are concerned, at least for Chargers and probably older E-bodies, doggone near all the parts for the whole car are available now.  But that's not to say they will be forever.  If you really decide to do a project, I'd buy all the parts up front while you can definitely get them.  Do note that the older car will never get very good milage while the new Challenger's get 25mpg on the interstate in 6th gear.  Did forget one thing----you need to get your project done while you have your health.  It doesn't last forever.

craigandlynda

good thoughts....minnesota winters are not really that conducive to spending time in the garage ...much of winter is spent ( or should be spent ) ice fishing, lol...any other opinions out there?