News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One Lap of America - Leaving Thursday to run 4000 miles to benefit the Veterans.

Started by NYCMille, April 27, 2010, 11:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

My Director approved my linking to Mike's sites and updates and we sent it out to all the employees here. Last week I was sending it to specific people as well so they would forward too.  I had to get permission from the Director for an all employee email though.  Hopefully it gets around.  I sent a link on my facebook page and asked everyone to send it to everyone on their contact list.

Go Mike Go!  :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TUFCAT

Quote from: NYCMille on April 27, 2010, 05:57:23 PM
Hey Guys -

As always, thanks for the support! We've been wanting to do something for the Veterans for quite some time now and just haven't the opportunity until now. I'll be honest though, the amount of red tape there is in dealing with the government is PHENOMENAL! We did finally manage to get it accomplished though. We'll also be adding a PAYPAL button on the www.RoadBackHome.com site tomorrow to make donations easier. A good buddy of mine is also running the event, but he's rolling in an F430 Ferrari... God bless the man because he's the only Ferrari owner I've ever met that kicks the ever-loving-crap out of. I posted a pic of his car as well as I thought you'd get a kick out of it. The schedule is also attached so if anyone can make it to any of these tracks, it would be great to see you guys.

Hopefully the Charger holds up for another 4000 miles and 8 days of racing and more importantly we raise some moola' for the guys that really need it.

Hi Mike, I wanted to donate, but I could'nt find the Paypal link on the "roadbackhome" website.

Maybe I missed it. Should I make a donation through "mrangry.com"?

Be safe,  :angel:

TUFCAT

mikepmcs

Tufcat Here you go brother.

Everyone else too.  :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: :cheers:

http://www.roadbackhome.com/donate.html
It's at the bottom of the page where to send the moola.  I bet you can call too, but I don't know for sure.  

Mike said he's working on a paypal button but I'm guessing that's kind of hard to negotiate at 137 MPH.   :o :patriot: :drive: :drive: :drive:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

speedfreak68

Mike Thats badass that your doing this with your 68. Your car pretty much set the stage for my 68. I like how you called kansas Gods Country, most people from out of state don't think too much of kansas, (at least not college aged people anyway). But anyway keep up the good work!!

mikepmcs

Talked to Bill Ball(rep at Palo Alto) about the paypal option since he is the POC.

His respone was

"That should be up and running.  Check can be mailed directly to me.  I'll check on it."

For now it appears it will be snail mail to Bill at the address in the above link I posted.  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Have fun Mike and be safe ! The Charger looks awesome as usual and has the performance to back it up  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WHITE AND RED 69

Glad to see the charger made it all the way.  :2thumbs:  Makes me want to get mine out on a track.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Tilar

Damn, You were at Mid-Ohio? That's probably 15 miles or so from the house... Ahh well, I was in New York last week anyway.  :brickwall:  :brickwall:

I'm trying to remember where in missouri it is, but someone is building a "camp" where wounded and disabled vets can go during rehab, and their families can go and be with them and stay in cabins while they are there. I'm a member of the Sons of Amvets Post #43, and we're setting up to donate some money to this camp. Anything for the Vets is a noble cause. 

:patriot:   
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

mikepmcs

Took some liberty with Mikey's photos and one from Russ G.  Hope you guys don't mind.

mikepmcs

miller

How about this picture....

I think he may have blown Mr. Angry up...

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

ChgrSteve67

Thats just fricking cool
What program and filter do you use to do that?

I hope Mike comes back soon and posts some more pick of his trip

mikepmcs

NYCMille

Hey Guys -

Got back on Sunday night and let me tell you that out of everything I have done with this car, the One Lap of America was BY FAR the hardest and most grueling. We clocked over 4500 miles on the old boy and although we had some problems, he made it all the way - I LOVE MY CAR! Our daily schedule went something like this:

0630H - get up
0800H - arrive at the track
1000H - you do your first timed run of the day
1330H - you do your second timed run of the day
1430H - you leave the track
2200H - arrive at the hotel
2230H - sleep

I was running with a Corvette Z06 and Ferrari F430 so running legs between the tracks was almost as hard as running the tracks themselves. Once on the interstate we would average between 85-95 mph for between 300-550 miles at a clip. I was stopping every 150 miles for fuel which really sucked (I think I ran 36 tanks of fuel last week). This run was unfortunately not trouble free though as we ate one fuel pump, two exhaust brackets, collector gasket, power steering/hydroboost hydraulic hose, two plug wires and a fire extinguisher. The last pic that was posted, you know the one with all the smoke out the back, was because I sucked up some oil through the PCV valve. Believe me when I tell you it scared the crap out of me as the thought the motor went BOOM. The good part however was there was no BOOM, just a lot of smoke.

I also flipped 45,000 miles on the Charger this trip, all of which are foot to the floor, beat it to death open road or race track miles. It's a good old car, but on this run it was starting to show that all these miles are taking it's toll it on the old boy. Right now the car is headed to California where it be heading to multiple VA hospitals around the state to continue to raise as much money as we can. Then in Sept we'll be driving it to Nevada to run it in the Silver State Challenge Open Road Challenge. After that, it's coming home, getting torn apart and getting some much needed TLC. This car has been VERY good to me and it's time for me to return the favor.

Some quicks Vids from the Run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ-qC76nxnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ZkSE9dM4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oZq9IFqMzY

1970Moparmann

Congrats Mike on the trip!  :2thumbs:

Even though Mr. Angry was the heaviest car probably in the run, it performed and made the trip. 

You must of slept all day Monday and Tuesday based on that schedule..... :cheers:

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

NYCMille

Please... we weighed in at like 3900-4000 lbs and make like 415-425 hp. I mean if you look at the power/weight ratio compared to the other cars running, we were SOOOO outgunned. The Optima Camaro for example weighed 3300 lbs and had 650 hp. The fun part was we were still able to beat quite a few cars including a few older Porsche's, BMW's as well as some imports. The problem is that regardless of how much time and money you put into these old cars the fact of the matter remains that the new cars from the factory are just SO GOOD right out of the gate. For what the car is though and for the mods that have been made to it, people where simply astonished at how well I could sling it around a raceway. Then when I told them I was still running torsion bars and leaf springs, their jaws almost fell out, LOL! That right there was worth the price of admission. 

From an attention standpoint, we hands down blew everyone else out of the water. I mean at every single track we went to the Charger would have a crowd around it and it was by far one the most popular cars at the event. So, now I've been thinking of what it would take to make it more competitive for next year and so far this is my list.

• New heads & Cam: I need AT LEAST another 100-125 hp
• Bigger brakes: I would use the kit with the 14.4" rotor and Viper calipers that I have on the Daytona
• New lighter wheels and I would go with 18's all around to quell some of the understeer that results from staggered sizes
• New windage tray, new oil and transmission coolers with built in fans.
• Lower gears. Even in OD, the 3.55s are just too much on the highway at speed. At 95-100 mph I was at 3500-3550 rpm for 500 miles at a clip.
• Fuel cell - minimum 25 gallons. I may be putting the Daytona's original cell in the Charger. 
• Minimum of an 8-point roll cage for safety reasons.
• Custom shocks.

What this event showed me was where I REALLY need to improve the car. Keep in mind now that the Bullrun show was 4 years ago and in that time A LOT of new products have been released for these cars. What that means for me is, that is it is time to start doing some research. I will tell you though that in looking at new suspension systems from XV and Alterkation, I bet you that with the right shocks, and hell, possibly even now, those cars WOULD NOT get away from on a race track.

Hell, maybe we should start a "Torsion Bar Challenge Series" - it would be filled with old Dodge's and Porsche's... how cool would that be.

bobs66440

Great Job!! While it was obviously a lot of effort, it looks like you had a BLAST too!! And raising cash for a worthy cause at the same time..it just doesn't get better than that!!   :2thumbs:

I road raced in WKA and SCCA for a number of years and I can tell you, a good driver can do a lot with a less-than-optimum setup. More so than a crappy driver in a million dollar car. Practice makes all the difference. Not saying that you're not a good driver (you could be great for all I know) but maybe take a Skip Barber or similar driving school to brush up before next time. Just a suggestion... :cheers:

mikepmcs

Welcome home Mike.  Nice read.  Glad you made it back in one piece.

Nice to see it going on a VA Tour too.

VA RO's, Medical and satellite offices are plenty in your neck of the woods as well.  Closest to you are Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, NYC(Regional Office)
I can get you any contact information you request. Not just in New York but any place you desire.
Let me know if I can be of any help.

v/r
Mike

WHITE AND RED 69

Awesome job with the rally.  :2thumbs:

When and where in California will Mr. Angry be at the VA hospitals? I would love to see it in person with the decals on it.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster