News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

calling my charger "junk"

Started by Mean 318, February 15, 2009, 10:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mean 318

I had 4 people come up to me today after seeing my 68 outside on the trailer and asked me what I was going to do with that junk car.... some were even meaner.... by the 4th guy I made it clear to him that it was not cool to call my car "junk". I dont ask him "why the hell did you get that pile of shit" or "your house is a real dive". Pissed me off so i needed to vent a little! I know that it looks bad without 1/4s on it but come on! This happen to you guys too? :flame:

BigBlackDodge

Don't let them worry you. :coolgleamA:

They stopped by to buy it I'll bet, hoping that you didn't know what you had.  :yesnod:

BBD

Troy

I keep my cars inside for that very reason. You notice that everyone wants to insult you - yet then they want to buy your "junk"?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

KillerBee1972

GM and FORD guys do that to me all the time, making fun of all the imperfections on my car, but when mine is on the road and theirs are still in their garage always being worked on i will be the one laughing!! I wouldn't worry about it, they are just jealous :lol:
1964 Plymouth Fury "old 70s drag car"
1973 Dodge Charger SE B9 blue 440

jb666

Don't sweat it.. Look at it this way, if you had a trashed Honda on a trailer no one would care either way...

They were probably trying to play it down hoping you'd say "Yeah, it's trash, would you take it off my hands??"

:cheers:

I'll usually point over to the wife (of the guy) and say something like "Is that obese little bridge troll over there yours?"

Mike DC

Just store it up in your memory, and then laugh that much harder when you've got it fixed up beautifully. 

In a few years your '68 will be the most sought-after car on the block, and they'll still be making payments on their $25,000 piece of modern plastic (which will be barely worth $10K by then).

maxwellwedge

Next time ask them where their car is.

Sublime/Sixpack

Don't let it bother you, thats just the way some people are.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Silver R/T

Wouldn't worry about a few haters, they probably live with mom and drive their mom's honda
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

MoparManJim

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on February 15, 2009, 10:35:44 PM
Don't let them worry you. :coolgleamA:

They stopped by to buy it I'll bet, hoping that you didn't know what you had.  :yesnod:

BBD

The last time that happen to me was back a year ago maybe two years (can't remember  :scratchchin:).Anyways this guy comes pulling in the drive way with a dodge ram. I'm taking a coffee brake at the right time. The guy says to me "I'll give $400 for that old coupe" I look at him and say "it's not for sale" well then he trys to tell me that it isn't worth very much. Well I started to tell him what some of the parts goes for now days and for what he offered me all he would get is the front fenders and hood maybe. He looks at me with a puzzled face because he didn't think I knew what I had there  :smilielol:

He set there for afew minutess iching his chin not knowing what to say and then had to go.  :lol:

Marck

Quote from: jb666 on February 15, 2009, 10:38:11 PM

I'll usually point over to the wife (of the guy) and say something like "Is that obese little bridge troll over there yours?"

I would like to see that...  :smilielol: :smilielol:

suntech

Just dont think about it :2thumbs:
There are only 2 possible senarios:

1: They had no clue of what you had there, and think riceboilers are the greatest cars made ever :nana:
2: They were hoping you had no clue of what you had there, and wanted to take it off your hands for next to nothing!!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

bull

I've never really had a "junk" comment but once a little neighbor kid came over asking me to air up his bike tire and made an odd comment about my 68. He said I needed to wash it. This was prior to any restoration work being done on it so I just laughed and told him that dirt was the least of my worries.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Troy on February 15, 2009, 10:36:58 PM
I keep my cars inside for that very reason. You notice that everyone wants to insult you - yet then they want to buy your "junk"?

Troy

:iagree:  That's why I was steadfast in making sure I got a big enough garage in the new subdivision. Last thing I need is someone who doesn't have a clue insulting me. Don't let it bother you unless it gets to the point where people are complaining. If you don't have deed restrictions in your area, then so be it. Maybe cover it up with a subdue cover.

Hope Monday's better for ya...........  Take a deep breath...............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Back N Black

My car is almost done and i have people drop in when the garage door is open and say, nice car! then they say you probally got 5 or 6 thousands dollars into her,i just nod my head. Friend drop by and say I'm crazy to be putting that much time and money in an old car.  :rotz: Every now and then a real car guy will drop by and appreciate what you are doing.

BB1

I would buy a real POS rusted Furd or something and park it in front of your house.  :lol:

Do it!!  :smilielol:
Delete my profile

BrianShaughnessy

Some people are in the business of buying up others projects for pennies on the dollar to flip'em later on.      Making people think their project is over their head and depressing them is part of the game.   Coming in later and offering to rescue them for a few bucks is the next part.   

Another group of people are just the jealous type.    These are closely aligned with stupid people.

Lastly is a group of friends that'll help out or encourage you.   Listen to these folks more than the others.   :cheers:     

I had a known local mopar rust bucket collector hound my butt while my car was at Speedo's getting done trying to buy it cheap.   Meanwhile his crap slowly rusted into his back 40.    And continues to do so now.   Stuff like 69.5 Bee and a 70 Bird among a bunch of stuff he continues to buy and do absolutely nothing with.    It'll make great razor blades once he keels over dead.  :eyes:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: Back N Black on February 16, 2009, 08:54:18 AM
My car is almost done and i have people drop in when the garage door is open and say, nice car! then they say you probally got 5 or 6 thousands dollars into her,i just nod my head. Friend drop by and say I'm crazy to be putting that much time and money in an old car.  :rotz: Every now and then a real car guy will drop by and appreciate what you are doing.

That would be me!  :woohoo:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

500hp_440

Never understood why people critize what they don't know it's like calling somone poor because their shirt is dirty, I know the guy that owns the fort pierce inlet and is smarter then any of us and has more money then you could imagine, but dresses like an average guy, and a poor guy. (He drills holes in his belt so he doesn't have to buy a new one and picks threw junk on the side of the road.)
Next time it happens say something horrible about them under your breath and ignore them or say it's worth $80K in a few months.
Let it alone^.

69DodgeCharger

I had the 12 year old kid from down the road ask if was gonna use my 69 in the upcoming demolition derby last summer. I just said no I was trying to get it fixed. I don't think it registered with him. Or the guy that asked, "What are you doing with that old Pontiac in your garage, I've been looking for a Lemans/GTO for some time"

http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Aero426

Quote from: Mean 318 on February 15, 2009, 10:29:57 PM
I had 4 people come up to me today after seeing my 68 outside on the trailer and asked me what I was going to do with that junk car.... some were even meaner....

Are these people from your neighborhood who may be concerned with you leaving the car outside the house?   Or are they people who wanted to buy your car?   

tan top

yeah thats a point Doug ..could just be wondering about what they THINK !! is a junk car out side .....in plain sight  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BIRD67

My uncle out in California has a '68 Cuda sitting in his yard that he bought from my dad years ago, people are always asking why he has a junk car..the only thing "junk about it is the 904 tranny.. He had one guy offer him a Chevette in trade..No joke
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

440charger68

god it happens to me all the time, and kids are the most honest, since i got my license my charger was the only car i had to drive, it was mine and i was real proud of that old 68. I was on my way to the gym drivin my charger and i rolled into the parking lot. at the time my car looked was multi colored due to sandy and different colored primers. As soon as i parked a kid and his family said "Thats a real junky car daddy" i kind of laughed but then kind of made me feel bad, i didnt put 4 years of my teenage life in that car so it could be called junk, still a teenager though im 18 hahah. People dont say it anymore now that i painted it lime green, now people are telling me to sell it cause of the offers i get. But i cant sell it now, its my first car, been to prom and lots of midnight cruises hahah. I think you should worry about, the best thing to do is just let it go, everyone has there opinions, they should just make sure they look through a collectors car price guide before calling a charger junk  :yesnod:
life's a garden, dig it.

chargerkid01

I remember when I got my 69 home and my buddt's now x girlfriend asked me if I was going to scrap that pos!!! I laughed and about a year ago she seen it and had to eat everyone of her words, oh buy the way as most of you know the charger still isn't done and this girl wants the first ride!! Anyone have a reese hitch for a 69 charger I'll need my live stock trailer to give her a ride!!! :smilielol: anyway don't worry about it you will hear it a lot, but you know what you have and that is all that matters. :Twocents:

NHCharger

The phord and chebby guys are just jealous because they know that our Chargers are the best looking cars ever built.

I was at a cruise night about ten years ago with my 71 Charger, the car was a definite 20 footer, maybe even 30 footer. I had more people checking out my heap than the pristine Chevelle sitting next to it. The Chevelle owner finally got pissed when i had a guy come up and say holy crap a Charger, can I take some pictures? The chebby owner asked the guy what's so special about my Charger. His reply, you never see these cars around here anymore, chevelles are a dime a dozen. Chebby man had nothing to say.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger Aficionado

Ha.  Try this:  My first Charger was MINT, except for a quarter dent...  Some kids called it "Junky Car" once...  I wasn't happy.

teamroth

While I don't have a charger yet, I have already figured out the answer to this question. Just tell them it's for sale. 90 grand and it's yours. That should shut them up.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

jmanscharger

Our mopar club president always calls his car junk. It's a hemi Roadrunner show winner. It's kind of a southern modesty thing, or maybe false modesty.
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)