News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FAN SPACER

Started by westcoastdodge, February 08, 2009, 05:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoastdodge

hey guys had to turn over an inch off my old fan spacer,fits a treat now,funny tho how it used to fit with a 383?? are the 383s shorter than a 440 :shruggy:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

westcoastdodge

Gene Kranz

ACUDANUT

I can't make out what you are trying to say ?  They should all line up and fit the same.

Sublime/Sixpack

No expert here, but I don't believe theres a difference in length between the two engines.   :shruggy:  I don't remember there being an issue when I upgraded from the factory 383 to a 440 in my '69 Super Bee.  Granted that was 10 years ago.

I just went out to the garage and measured from the front of the cylinder head to the front of the water pump pulley (shaft) on both the 383 and 440, and they both measure approx. 7.5 inches.

Did you use the 383's water pump and pulleys on your 440?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

ACUDANUT

Quote from above post.
"Did you use the 383's water pump and pulleys on your 440?"
The water pumps are the same.  I believe the pulleys are the same too.  :Twocents:

Sublime/Sixpack

Yeah, I've never ran across it but was just wondering if there was a different application through the years that did have a longer WP shaft.  :shruggy:
Was just a thought.

westcoastdodge

got a used 440 block and crank,rods and pistons and fitted all the 383 stuff ie sump,heads,water pump,timing case ?? weird  :shruggy:
Gene Kranz

Sublime/Sixpack

Well, atleast you found a solution to your problem.  Do you have your own lathe?

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on February 14, 2009, 07:28:27 PM
Well, atleast you found a solution to your problem.  Do you have your own lathe?
I don't get it ?
Ray, use a fan clutch. Saves horsepower and won't wear out your water pump.  :2thumbs:

Sublime/Sixpack

The way I read his post is that the fan wouldn't clear the radiator when he put the 440 in, (Why? I have no idea!) so he turned (shortened) the spacer so it would clear.  Yes, one would think that a correct size fan clutch would be the best way to go but he seems happy with his solution, so what the heck.
And as far as using a fan clutch set up, that doesn't always work out. How do I know? When I went from the 383 to a 440 in my Bee I tried two brand new fan clutches and the engine would overheat. I went back to the original fan and spacer from the 383 and the engine ran cooler.