News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP NEEDED Z bar bracket LOCATION

Started by rbbruno3, February 14, 2009, 07:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where to locate it

How critical is the exact position
1 (50%)
help please
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: February 21, 2009, 07:59:10 AM

rbbruno3

I am switching from an automatic to a standard. I would like to know where to position the Z bar bracket. I have a good idea as it has to be at the access panel on inner fender. Is it super critical or is there enough play in the ball? Or is the side distance to the bell more critical? Should the Z bar be parallel to the firewall when in the Z bar bracket? Any input or pictures would be very helpfull. Thanks, Rick

Chatt69chgr

I am facing the same problem on my 69 Charger.  Need the same info.

Ghoste

Just my opinion, but if you plan on shifting it hard I would be trying to have all of the linkage in the exact location.  The super stock teams spend a lot of time on details like this and there is a reason for it.  :Twocents:

rbbruno3

Thanks  for your input Ghoste    So I should set a block and trans in place?

Ghoste

Its a lot of work but if you want it perfect...
Just one mans opinion though.

Chatt69chgr

I wonder if they used a template at the factory to locate the frame mounted z-bar bracket?  I guess that's academic since if they did, the template is long gone.  Was hoping I could get it mounted before installing the drivetrain but I can see that to get it on the money, I better follow Ghoste's suggestion.

Mick70RR

Here's a few pictures I took of my Road Runner z-bar a few years ago. They may be enough for you to go by.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Chatt69chgr

Well now, thats interesting.  It's centered right square in the middle of the access hole in the inner fender panel.  How about other folks that have factory 4-speeds.  Is that where your Z-bar frame welded on bracket is positioned?  If so, that could be where Dodge put all of them.  I do realize that that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be lined up square with the ball stud on the bell housing as there could be variability between one vehicle and another.

Troy

There's a "V" in the frame rail to locate the bracket. I've seen other people just center it in the hole. I have a few pictures that I've posted before but now I have access to a real 4-speed car with the engine removed so I can get better pictures. I'll try to get them tonight.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Chatt69chgr

Thanks Troy.  I'll look forward to viewing the pictures. 

vancamp

if you have the engine in or at least bolt up a bare block and bell housing you can take a piece of all thread and thead it into the bell where the stud would go, the with two nuts one on either side of the bracket to hold it in place tack it in remove rod and weld solid, just make sure you measure the width of the z bar for the width

rbbruno3

Thanks everybody for all your ideas and pictures. I' like to see your pics too Troy. I think its probably best to set a block and bell in place. Its alot more work to do it twice thanks, Rick

John_Kunkel

I saved these pics from another forum, can't testify to the accuracy.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

John_Kunkel

From front side of bracket to front of opening.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rbbruno3