News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Rear Hurts

Started by Moparbob, February 13, 2009, 06:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Ok,,

Heres my deal:

73 charger true rallye

How can I tell if my rear is posi and perhaps the ratio? We have not been out on the road yet but moving it around the shop it was spinning both wheels (not sure how that happened)  :rofl: 

The today somebody (who shall remain nameless) pulled her out of the shop and left a mark,, only one mark,, needless to say I, ah er I mean "somebody" was disappointed hoping for two marks. Anybody car to bite?  :popcrn:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

mikepmcs

Repeat after me.  SURE GRIP.  posi is for the chevy crew. 

It could still be sure grip, just might be worn out and need rebuilt.

I'm guessing you are saying that you could lay two patches screwing off in the shop but when someone was pulling out it only left one mark??   Then i would say it was a weak unit.

That question above about the two patches is legit and need it answered before I can gather another response to get to the bottom of this.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Moparbob

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 13, 2009, 06:26:56 PM

I'm guessing you are saying that you could lay two patches screwing off in the shop but when someone was pulling out it only left one mark??   Then i would say it was a weak unit.

That question above about the two patches is legit and need it answered before I can gather another response to get to the bottom of this.

Its dark now or I would go out and black up the shop floor  :hah: but on pure speculation how could I get into this further?? :hack:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

John_Kunkel

Place the transmission in Neutral, release the parking brake, raise one tire clear of the ground and try to turn the tire. If the tire turns freely there is no Sure-Grip (or the Sure-Grip is worn out). Put a chalk mark on the bottom of the tire and also mark the pinion yoke and rear end housing next to each other. Spin the tire two full turns while counting the turns of the pinion yoke, the number of turns is your axle ratio. Example, if the yoke made about 3 1/4 turns the ratio is 3.23.

If the tire won't turn freely you have Sure-Grip. To determine the ratio raise both tires and turn one tire only one revolution while counting the yoke turns.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Moparbob

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 13, 2009, 06:32:04 PM
Place the transmission in Neutral, release the parking brake, raise one tire clear of the ground and try to turn the tire. If the tire turns freely there is no Sure-Grip (or the Sure-Grip is worn out). Put a chalk mark on the bottom of the tire and also mark the pinion yoke and rear end housing next to each other. Spin the tire two full turns while counting the turns of the pinion yoke, the number of turns is your axle ratio. Example, if the yoke made about 3 1/4 turns the ratio is 3.23.

If the tire won't turn freely you have Sure-Grip. To determine the ratio raise both tires and turn one tire only one revolution while counting the yoke turns.

John,

It ain't so sure  :'(  Jacked up the driver side and the wheel spins sorta free forward and not so free backward. What are my options here? I need the traction of both wheels!
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Sorry Mikey,, I go both ways  :pity:  But I'll try ,, SURE POSI GRIP, SURE GRIP POSI, GRIP POSI,   SURE GRIP   :2thumbs:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

WingCharger

Quote from: Moparbob on February 13, 2009, 06:47:46 PM

Sorry Mikey,, I go both ways  :pity:  But I'll try ,, SURE POSI GRIP, SURE GRIP POSI, GRIP POSI,   SURE GRIP   :2thumbs:
Don't forget Twin Grip! Good old AMC. :D

Moparbob

Quote from: WingCharger on February 13, 2009, 06:52:08 PM
Quote from: Moparbob on February 13, 2009, 06:47:46 PM

Don't forget Twin Grip! Good old AMC. :D

Apparently I have slip grip  :brickwall:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Id like to pull the cover tomorrow to identify what it is that I have and what I need to do. I bet I can find a chunk around here as I have ferreted out many Mopar nuts.

What am I looking for fellers?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

John_Kunkel

It's not uncommon for the wheel to turn more freely forward than backward, this is because the output shaft of the trans turns more easily forward than backwards.

I'll wager it doesn't have Sure-Grip.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Moparbob

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 13, 2009, 07:28:02 PM

It's not uncommon for the wheel to turn more freely forward than backward, this is because the output shaft of the trans turns more easily forward than backwards.

It might before the end of the weekend ;) If I take off the back cover, whats I B looking for??
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 13, 2009, 07:28:02 PM

John what would be the reason they both spun in the gravel outside the shop if its not sure Grip? I mean if it weren't it would never spin both right? Imean it slings it around both sides.
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

FLG

On occasion you can get an open rear to spin both tires momentarily if the traction on each side is about the same. Since dirt varies in traction, both will sometimes spin.

Moparbob

Quote from: FLG on February 13, 2009, 09:05:01 PM
On occasion you can get an open rear to spin both tires momentarily if the traction on each side is about the same. Since dirt varies in traction, both will sometimes spin.

So tomorrow when I pop the cover what exactly will I be wanting to see? Also,, how do I size this rear to find the guts I want? Ill need some numbers and stuff if anyone has any,, oh ,, pics would help too since I cant read  :smilielol:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

flyinlow

I stopped wearing skirts and I noticed my rear did not hurt as much.  :nana:

You said you were going to pull the cover. Do you have a 8 1/4  axle behind your 440? If so just keep doing burn outs and soon you will have a suregrip.

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on February 13, 2009, 11:29:59 PM

ROTF  :smilielol:

You said you were going to pull the cover. Do you have a 8 1/4  axle behind your 440? If so just keep doing burn outs and soon you will have a suregrip.

Good point. Bob, post a pic of your sore rear end so we can see what it looks like.  :lol:

The 8.25 will not last long behind a 440.  :eek2: When you remove the cover make a note of the number of bolts that hold the cover in place....this will help us identify it.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Moparbob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 13, 2009, 11:55:40 PM

ROTF  :smilielol:

Good point. Bob, post a pic of your sore rear end so we can see what it looks like.  :lol:

The 8.25 will not last long behind a 440.  :eek2: When you remove the cover make a note of the number of bolts that hold the cover in place....this will help us identify it.  :yesnod:

Ron

What rear am I hoping to see besides Pamela Anderson's?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Moparbob

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 14, 2009, 07:57:40 AM
8-3/4 or dana 60

Mike, how many bolts in the 8 3/4 or daina 60? 
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

mikepmcs

this will be easier

mikepmcs

pictures in order are
open
clutch sg
cone sg

clutch is most desired for rebuilding but cone is still rebuildable.

no mistaking an 8-3/4 rear end as you can see by the last picture.

mike

Moparbob

And the winner is;

#4 9 1/4  :2thumbs: Now to examine the innerds  :hack:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on February 14, 2009, 08:15:33 AM
And the winner is;

#4 9 1/4  :2thumbs: Now to examine the innerds  :hack:

The 9.25 is a descent rear and is up to the task behind your 440. I would have no issues using it on a hot street/mild strip application. Hopefully you have a rebuildable suregrip in there.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs