News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quesion about 440s

Started by moparnole, February 03, 2009, 07:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnole

I have heard from several places about people getting 20 mpg out of a 440. Is this at all possible to achieve without having the motor turned off, or if it is possible, what would you have to do to get that?

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Leonidas Rex

I think the last thing I am thinking about when it comes to putting a 440 in my 68 Charger is gas mileage....440 and gas mileage do not even belong in the same sentence!  :smilielol:

Musicman

6-Pack induction systems have the ability to produce good numbers if your just cruising  :cheers:

Ghoste

You can pull some great mileage figures descending from the mountains too. :icon_smile_big:

moparnole

te best milage I have heard about is whith it shut off. But the potential project already has a 440 in it, also, could it be too hard on the tranny?

Sublime/Sixpack

Are you talking about turning the ignition off then coasting?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

moparnole

In most cases yes, also gets great in the driveway, comparable to a prius

62 Max

Quote from: Musicman on February 04, 2009, 05:09:16 PM
6-Pack induction systems have the ability to produce good numbers if your just cruising  :cheers:

How about 17mpg in this one. 6pk 4spd,3.54 Dana and old Direct Connection Street Hemi grind cam  284/474.

moparnole

Before this thread I thought the most you could get out of a 440 was around 12 at the most, this is blowing my mind!!
Also is that a real Bird?

62 Max

Quote from: moparnole on February 05, 2009, 06:56:39 PM
Before this thread I thought the most you could get out of a 440 was around 12 at the most, this is blowing my mind!!
Also is that a real Bird?

As real as they come :icon_smile_big:

flyinlow

Tall gears , very mild cam , and any non Holley carb would maximize your 440's milage. With a 446 in my 73 with 3.55 gears I have gotten as good as 15 mpg on the road. My cam is 276 dur. .509 lift does hurt milage.

I would guess that just having a 440 instead of a 318 would lower your milage 1-2 mpg ,due to the extra friction,weight,and larger pumping losses. If everything else was the same.

I put a 518 overdrive trans. in this winter. This gives me a 2.44 axle ratio in overdrive. With a Thermoquad carb I hope to see a 3-4 mpg increase this summer on road trips.

Would like to add fuel injection and a hydraulic roller cam someday and see what i get then. I get tired of Al Gore sending me bills for carbon credits everytime I take the old Dodge for a drive.   :lol:

Sweet T

I don't think I could get that kind of mileage if I was being towed. :'(
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

superduperbee

I you swapped out the carb for fuel injection and used an overdrive, electric water pump, no AC, it's possible.

chargerbr549

On my 69 Charger RT 440, purple shaft hemi grind cam, 10 to 1 compression, hedders, holley street dominator intake, stock converter, 3.23 gears with 25.5 tall tires and TQ carburetor, i was getting around 15mpg quite often at 60-65 mph but when I put my 750 Holley on it it  dropped to 12 mpg but the throttle response greatly improved with a price.

Kevin

b5blue

I'm trying to tweek my 440 in that direction now. 3.23 gears and six pack set stock, mopar resto grind cam, vacuum advance working and going to a 145k torque converter (1900 stall) 9.5 to 1 comp. pistons all help. Getting alingment right and by next year getting alum. heads should let me be close, and run regular gas.     

flyinlow

I found the Thermoquad  improves  gas milage. It does not flow as much as a squarebore carb for a given gas peddle depression, until the secondaries open. You have to get use to pushing the peddle down a little further at part throttle settings or the same acceleration.

Sublime/Sixpack

FYI, last September I removed my 3.91 gears from my '69 Bee and slipped in some 2.76 gears because of the high price of gasoline, and checked the fuel economy on a 200 mile round trip to a car show. With its 440 engine with 9.1 comp., MP Hemi grind cam, stock Six Pack induction, electronic ignition, stock exhaust manifolds, auto transmission, it delivered just under 14 MPG driving  65/70 mph to the show and 70/80 mph (with only one partial throttle burst to 125 mph) on the way home.   I was hoping for more but didn't feel too bad about the results. I figure if the six pack is tweaked a bit I might can do a little better.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

hemi68charger

Quote from: Musicman on February 04, 2009, 05:09:16 PM

:iagree: Been there, done that
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

beenaround

I got 19 on the highway with my 69 charger rt 440 4 bbl auto with a dana running 3.54's the car was bone stock and I was using sunoco 260 at the time back in 1976-77.