News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clearancing pushrod holes on Stealth heads?

Started by timinator, January 31, 2009, 11:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I have a new set of 440 Source Stealth heads. I have plans later of adding 3/8 pushrods and 1.6 roller rockers but I understand there are clearance issues with the size of the pushrod holes. I'm dropping the heads off at a machine shop to have them looked over and thought I might as well have them clearance the pushrod holes now. Anybody have any info/pictures of where and how much metal to remove and the best method for doing this?

firefighter3931

Quote from: timinator on January 31, 2009, 11:59:11 AM
I have a new set of 440 Source Stealth heads. I have plans later of adding 3/8 pushrods and 1.6 roller rockers but I understand there are clearance issues with the size of the pushrod holes. I'm dropping the heads off at a machine shop to have them looked over and thought I might as well have them clearance the pushrod holes now. Anybody have any info/pictures of where and how much metal to remove and the best method for doing this?

The best way to clearance for pushrods is to mock up the valvetrain assembly and see where they rub. Generally speaking, the 1.6 rocker ratio will create rubbing issues on the inside of the pushrod tunnel. Unless you are planning on running a roller cam with tons of open spring pressure, you can get by with a thick wall (.080) 5/16 pushrod and still be fine. Saves some headaches and unnecessary grinding.  :Twocents:

If you have to clearance them a die grinder and carbide cutter is your preferred tool.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

375instroke

Well, you need to mock it up to see where it interferes, and by how much.  You can use a high speed steel rotary file on aluminum.  It's much cheaper than carbide.

mally69

Hey, I run stealth heads and i use a 1.6 rocker with 5/16 pushrods.  Yes, I did have to use a die grinder to clearance the holes, even with the 5/16 pushrods. Most of the material that I had to take off the head was at the very top and at the bottom of the holes.  ;)