News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question.

Started by bigcountry, March 01, 2009, 06:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcountry

All GLs had the tale-tale I -beam in the grille, whether it was intentional or not, 1969 is the only year that grille was used.  The original three GLs used in th pilot episode all where 69s. So in order to keep them all the same in later episodes, they all had to have the 69 I-beam in the grille.  Later in the show the marker lights where removed/covered/deleted all together.  In the first episode the original car had the chrome/stainless rocker panel guards between the wheel wells and the vinyl top moldings (referred to as the check mark trim by some) were still present on the rear quaters.
Cut to size, Beat to fit, Paint to match.

Mike DC

WB just expected the mechanics to deliver a set of cars that were all visually identical on the finished 35mm film. 

What cars/parts/compromises/changes that it took to accomplish that . . . the producers didn't know or care.  They left that up to the discretion of the mechanics. 

bigcountry

Exactly...That is the reason for the I-beam grilles on all of the cars since that was the frist one used.  However, I have seen several 70 chargers as GLs, not correct, they didn't even use a single 70, all of the shows cars were 68 and 69s. I have even seen a few 71s and a 72 painted up like the GL...not even the same body lines.

68coronetGLwannabe

70 not correct but tons of fun!   :yesnod: I say build it and  have some fun.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Charger-Bodie

I say build it into whatever you want!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

400/6/PAC

Mike DC

I will say this, though - if you're on the fence about doing the full GL job or not, then you might wanna hold off.  Having a full-blown GL uniform on the car carries its own set of side effects.  1969 Chargers are neon signs already, but a GL is in a class of its own.

-----------------------------------------------

You're not gonna get lynched for the flag or anything like that.  There's surprisingly little problems with this part.  Even people who otherwise might bitch about a big rebel flag, they still seem to cut you some slack because of the TV character connection.

But the GL paint basically makes you "onstage" whenever you're out in public with it.  It's not for someone who can't handle being the center of attention (which is not aways fun).  You'll be answering the same 5-10 questions and assumptions about you & the car perpetually.  So you'd better be prepared to take it in stride every single time. 

And if you act like a jerk to someone who wants to talk to you about it, or if you get reckless & cut off someone else on the road in your area . . . that same person might spot the car in a Wal-Mart parking lot 3 years later and chew you out for it.  (Or just key the car if you're not around.)  The "onstage" factor is in effect all the time, regardless of whether you're in a good mood or not.   

And for some reason, the car is everybody's "buddy."  which means they don't hesitate to touch it like they would a normal car.  The idea that it's someone's private property just doesn't even register with people a lot of the time.  I'm serious about this.  You'll find people doing things to your GL when you're not looking that they probably wouldn't dare do to a scruffy 1992 minivan. 

Just some things to think about before you spray the orange paint.

bigcountry

Thanks for the advice/info.  There was actually a guy in town I had talked to who had a GL and he said his car had been keyed three times in the five years he owned it.  I think I can handle the attention, if not.....I'll drive it only when I am in a good mood, otherwise I'll drive my Road Runner once it is finished.

Mike DC

Yeah, it's a factor. 

When I had my GL assembled & on the road I didn't get people keying it and crap like that much.  People basically seemed to like it.  But they also didn't always respect the fact that it wasn't some kind of public property. 

The best thing I could tell you is don't go into it thinking you're gonna keep a GL flawless.  Not both flawless AND enjoyed in public.  It's out of character with the car to be that careful with it, and it takes too much of the fun out of it. 

I mean, even just climbing into the windows regularly will start messing it up - It'll start tearing up the door's chrome trim & paint, and even ripping the vinyl on the top corner edge of the seatback.  (And don't even get me started on the side effects of sliding across the hood.)

People love seeing the character of the GL brought to life.  But they usually find it a lot less cool when the owner indignantly refuses to spin the back end out in a gravel parking lot for fear of chipping the paint behind the wheelwells.  If that's how you're gonna be about it, then maybe you wanna hold off on the door numbers & flag.

charger_cody

OK here is my opinion. I see it like this, say you was driving down the street and you see a 69 se that is painted plum crazy purple and you think, oh my I havent seen to many like that. But you drive down the other street and find one that is a GL clone, I would think oh man i've seen many of those. I mean i will bet more than not the people who looked at this has either owns a GL or used to.

Better to be unique than like everyone else.

But hey if the GL is what you want then hey, go for it.  :2thumbs:

Dakota

Mike DC

A few years ago a GL was pretty unique.

I had a GL replica before it was cool (I'm talking even before the TNN re-runs of the show a decade ago).  I'll still have a GL long after it falls from coolness again in the future.  People can call guys like me "trendy" for being into GLs right now if they want to. 

Now, where do I get off begrudging other GL fans for crashing the party later than I did?  Many of them wanted to build a GL "before it was cool" too, they just didn't have the resources. 

(Hell, there are even some younger guys who were children DURING the 1990s TNN re-runs, and NOW they're young adults trying to put a Charger together!)

teamroth

I know of a great shop in Houston that could help you out...Just kidding.
Wlecome aboard brother. :cheers:
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Mike DC

QuoteI know of a great shop in Houston that could help you out...Just kidding.

LOL

mauve66

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 04, 2009, 02:20:27 PM

I mean, even just climbing into the windows regularly will start messing it up - It'll start tearing up the door's chrome trim & paint, and even ripping the vinyl on the top corner edge of the seatback.  (And don't even get me started on the side effects of sliding across the hood.)

People love seeing the character of the GL brought to life.  But they usually find it a lot less cool when the owner indignantly refuses to spin the back end out in a gravel parking lot for fear of chipping the paint behind the wheelwells.  If that's how you're gonna be about it, then maybe you wanna hold off on the door numbers & flag.

now thats funney :smilielol: :smilielol:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Matthan

GL are Sweet it's your car do what you want to it.!!!!!!!!!

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on March 02, 2009, 10:15:24 AM
Mike hit it pretty well on the head..

While a GL is not what I want, I don't have any problem with them - at all. I like them. I just don't want one.

About the only thing that would get me concerned about a conversion to a GL is if the car you use is already something special - rare, survivor, interesting history, etc. I'd just hate for the hobby to lose something special.

Even then, it's still your call because it's your car.

I agree with DodgeCharger-Fan on this one, no sense modifying a rare Charger when there are alot more common 69s still out there to start with.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

MoparManJim

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on March 05, 2009, 08:14:06 PM
Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on March 02, 2009, 10:15:24 AM
Mike hit it pretty well on the head..

While a GL is not what I want, I don't have any problem with them - at all. I like them. I just don't want one.

About the only thing that would get me concerned about a conversion to a GL is if the car you use is already something special - rare, survivor, interesting history, etc. I'd just hate for the hobby to lose something special.

Even then, it's still your call because it's your car.

I agree with DodgeCharger-Fan on this one, no sense modifying a rare Charger when there are alot more common 69s still out there to start with.....

And I will agree with both of you on that note as while. 

bigcountry

It's not anything special besides being a 69 Charger. ;D  It is a 383, console shift auto, the build sheet says is was green with white interior.  The original white interior has been painted black and is starting to show through.  It needs floor pans and a full trunk.  It needs a lot of work on the windshield channel. It has a chain welded to the frame and bolted to the engine block, set of aftemarket rear shackles and American Racing rear wheel with 10" drag radials.  I'm pretty sure it was a track car at one time, not professionally but someone's hobby.  The engine(not original) ran when I pulled it, but had a broken rod.  So no, it's not a rare numbers car or survivor car, I don't think I could even make a nice (survivor or resto) Charger into a GL.  That's part of the reason I got such a project.....so I wouldn't feel bad about doing a GL build to a "good" car. :coolgleamA:

Mike DC

Sounds perfect for a GL project.  If anyone gives you sh*t about the GL job later, just show them pics of it before you started. 

(BTW, the chain holding the engine is a little more "real-GL-correct" than you might realize.  Put a Charger 4-5 feet into the air, and the iron big block has a tendency to crush motor mounts on landing.)

KS71owner

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on March 01, 2009, 09:29:31 PM
Build it how you want it.   :2thumbs:  Just do it some justice with a nice resto.   :yesnod:

:iagree:

It's your car, do whatever you think makes you happy with it. When I first got mine I considered going with the vintage NASCAR Petty scheme for quite a while. If I ever get another Charger I may still do that.