News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much interest in 69-70 rear tail light panel?

Started by Spike, July 28, 2005, 09:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

I have someone who can make this panel. I need to know the interest before I can commit any time and $$.
This is the sheetmetal panel that the tail lights are in. I know these rust out and many have been donated from other Chargers.
Would you like to see this reproduced?
Sorry 68 guys but the plans are to go with the 69-70 panel for now.
Thanks Frank

Old Moparz

I would say it might be worth making it because you're right, that part of the car gets some difficult rust to repair. I parted a '69 that had that problem, & that was one of the reasons I parted it. Also, keep in mind there are flanges that extend into the trunk that are a separate part of the panel. These are for mounting the taillight housings to, & have the studs pressed through them so you can bolt it in. I believe they are welded, but not sure since I haven't stripped them yet. I have a 69/70 NOS tail panel & the flanges are not attached. (I saved the used flanges from the parts car.)

I saw that 70/71 Cuda tail panels are in the works, they should be a big seller too.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69charger2002

i think it would be great. first off, they always rust. second, the 68 ones seem to fair better, not sure why, maybe it's the design/placement of the taillights.. besides. general lee guys take mint 68 panels off lots of times transforming a 68 into a 69. so 69-70's are in real demand. as long as you can make the new panel RIGHT and AFFORDABLE(i'd say $200-$400 tops). go for it
put me down for 1 or 2
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Wakko

You'll definitely be able to sell these on Ebay or through YearOne or Paddock.    I'd love to have one just to put on my wall and wire up with taillights.  :)
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

AlaskanCharger

A complete rear tail light panel for  69' 70'. I can tell you, I know of three guys right off hand here that would buy them as well won for my charger also. As long as its ready to install, like a factory replacment part, if your gonna make them, go all the way. Keep us informed if part gets made.
Mark

Ghoste

Quote from: 69charger2002 on July 28, 2005, 11:18:24 PMbesides. general lee guys take mint 68 panels off lots of times transforming a 68 into a 69.

I can stomach the push bars and paint scheme because it's not my car and those are things that can be easily changed if I did end up with one.  But when it comes to chopping a car up to make it into something else, it just makes me want to cry.  Back halving an otherwise good car does the same thing to me.  Jumping cars as a stunt to draw folks to your bar and grill rates down there too.

Lostsheep

Quote from: 69charger2002 on July 28, 2005, 11:18:24 PM
i besides. general lee guys take mint 68 panels off lots of times transforming a 68 into a 69
Unless they like they're 68 tail lights better.

bsakal

I bought another '69 because I was tired of trying to find a good taillight panel! Whoever buys my car will need one! I would buy one to have around just in case.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

Charger_Fan

I agree with the general consensus here...a good repop panel would definitely be a wanted/needed thing!

It will also help keep more remaining restoreable Chargers out there intact, so they don't look like this. :icon_smile_sad:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Something else I'd like to add is that if & when someone goes through the trouble & expense to stamp these panels, do it in the right thickness (gauge) of steel. Make it accurate so it fits, & has no loss of detail or sad looking lines. This area would seem to be critical for fitting perfect since the trunk lid, the ends of the quarter panels, the end caps on the quarters, the taillights, & the rear trim all tie together with this panel. Most of the repro panels are crap, & even the Year One catalog says so. They have a number system on the panels they sell showing best to worst, & none of the panels can even be rated fair.

If the tail panel is made right, is as thick as the original, & not priced as high as a parts car I'd get one to keep as a spare. If it's junk, then keep it. I'll cut up another car if I really need one. (That's the way it is, you can't save all of them.)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Spike

Here's the deal, I have a NOS panel that all measurements would taken from. The replacement panels would be made to these specs and in the US of A I might add. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input.  :bow:

69 Charger SE

I was just wondering what ever happend with this.  I am definately in need of at least one.   Please make them.

69charger2002

wow forgot about this post. over a year ago. did anything come of it?

69Charger_440

I take it that no one has bought or tried the fiberglass ones that are advertised in some mopar mags or year one?  If someone has, any complaints?   ???

greenpigs

Quote from: 69Charger_440 on August 27, 2006, 10:46:03 PM
I take it that no one has bought or tried the fiberglass ones that are advertised in some mopar mags or year one?  If someone has, any complaints?   ???

I want metal & nothing less. My taillight panel might be saveable I just need to get into it again.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

69charger2002

yep i sure wouldn't trust fiberglass with all that structure back there and the support that panel gives.. no thanks.. maybe if i had a 318 car that i would drive like a grandma.. no i'd still want metal...

69Charger_440

Quote from: greenpigs on August 27, 2006, 11:14:42 PM
Quote from: 69Charger_440 on August 27, 2006, 10:46:03 PM

I want metal & nothing less. My taillight panel might be saveable I just need to get into it again.
well how bad is yours? pics? just curious.

greenpigs

I don't have a picture, but have been told it isn't that bad. Fiberglass panels are for things that do not offer any suport, like a hood or a fender, kind of  like what 2002 is saying
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

dads_69

If they are ever to be made, I'll take a pair! In Alaska, they do tend to rust out faster than most others in the lower 48.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Spike

We had looked into making them but Goodmark has them on their website as in development. You might want to check with them and see what kind of time frame they have until production.

69 Charger SE

That is interesting.  I asked them last week about a tail panel and they told me that there were no plans at the moment to make one.  Where does it show that it is in development on their website.
thanks

Spike

It appears they have removed it from their site  ??? Back when we looked into this it was listed as being tooled. Don't know what happened.

tan top

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 29, 2005, 12:29:18 PM
I agree with the general consensus here...a good repop panel would definitely be a wanted/needed thing!

It will also help keep more remaining restoreable Chargers out there intact, so they don't look like this. :icon_smile_sad:

:iagree:  it needs repoping ,   the one they sell at the moment is fiber glass i think  , if i needed one i would not like the thought of fitting the f/g one to mine .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69 Charger SE

Unfortunately I do need one badly.  the corners are rusted out half down the lights (top and bottom) and then the center is rusted out.  I am talking about holes I can stick my hand in.