News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Had Enough BS

Started by Lee A, January 31, 2009, 04:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Awesome work leon  :2thumbs:

Sublime, thats all my cousin does. People want things done cheap but then expect no corners to be cut in the process. Also guys give a price then realize after they start cutting that "wow this it alot more rust and work then expected" and either wind up loosing money or having to charge more and having an unhappy customer. Its hard to find a good resto shop, and there is a huge difference between resto shop and repair shop. And theres alot more money to be made in collision work then restos. Unless you have the manpower, shop, and the know how its hard work. 

hemi-hampton

I do new cars also but hate it. This car here was $12,000 in damage. You can get it done in 2weeks. You'll spend more time on a Resto for $12k. LEON.

hemi-hampton

After Pic

Lee A

That is all excellent work but I live in southern Saskatchewan kind of a mouth full lol you are right all people want to do is collision work,another friend of mine is building a house and can't get anyone to come and do his drywall or carpets or cupboards 1 guy even told him he would do the stucco (outside) for 40000 then decide 70000 my friend told him ok come do it and the guy couldn't even be bothered.My dad took his truck to the autobody shop closest to us to get the trim put back on the side rubber molding in October the damn thing is still sitting there.I think I will be better to sell it and cut my losses,I am so mad I want to  :RantExplode:
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

pettyfan43

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 31, 2009, 02:45:18 PM
Send it to me, I'm not to busy & just finished a 69 T5 car. LEON.

That thing is PRETTY, I LIKE that!

hemi-hampton

LEE A, Here's a little insider Tip. Cars dont usually get done in order they come in. Usually they are Prioritized. That means the Customer that calls constantly everyday complaining when is my car going to be done gets pushed to the front of the line while the guy that never calls & complains gets his car pushed back in the corner to just sit for months. At least thats the way I've seen it work. :shruggy: :Twocents: LEON.

Lee A

A guy shouldn't have to nag the crap out of someone to do it though I can't find any body to start it
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

The70RT

Quote from: Lee A on January 31, 2009, 08:51:55 PM
A guy shouldn't have to nag the crap out of someone to do it though I can't find any body to start it

Don't take it to a place that doesn't act too interested.......you may never get it back.Sounds like your problem is theydont like to work on older stuff. The newer cars are drivers and little cosmetic things they get by with easier. On a resto they know most are gonna be a lot pickier. But it all depends on the place, Im sure Leon is proud of all his work he puts out. If you do find a place, tell them you will be by every other day or so and see what kind of reaction you get.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: FLG on January 31, 2009, 06:49:05 PM
Awesome work leon  :2thumbs:

Sublime, thats all my cousin does. People want things done cheap but then expect no corners to be cut in the process. Also guys give a price then realize after they start cutting that "wow this it alot more rust and work then expected" and either wind up loosing money or having to charge more and having an unhappy customer. Its hard to find a good resto shop, and there is a huge difference between resto shop and repair shop. And theres alot more money to be made in collision work then restos. Unless you have the manpower, shop, and the know how its hard work. 

So true! The guys (three different shops) that have done finish body work and paint for my restorations no longer want to bother with it. Collision work is all they'll do now.  So, if I get another one thats needs paint I'll have to find another shop. We all know what a hassle that can be.
Its good to know theres still people out there like hemi-hampton that will take on a restoration AND do a top notch job.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 31, 2009, 05:10:31 PM
More light in this Pic. LEON.

That paint really looks good!  It looks like its wet. Very nice.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

hemi-hampton

Lee, Your absolutely right, You should not have to nag to get it done. I agree 100%. Even being in big city of Detroit (motor city) it is very hard to find anyplace that does resto work or quality resto work. All the resto place's I've worked at in past 25 years have done 2 things. #1 Gone out of Businness. or #2 Switched to doing new cars. It's pretty sad & depressing unfortunately. LEON.

Lee A

Then I guess I am forced to sell it.It really burns my ass I got the money but that's it.What is the lesson learned here don`t buy anything that is more than 2 years old.I am just steaming.
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

TheGhost

Quote from: Lee A on February 01, 2009, 12:21:19 AM
Then I guess I am forced to sell it.It really burns my ass I got the money but that's it.What is the lesson learned here don`t buy anything that is more than 2 years old.I am just steaming.

Why sell?  Is it costing you anything to hold onto it?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Lee A

No its not, but its like a rock in the front yard it sits there and does nothing
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

TexasStroker

There in lies the beauty of self-sufficiency.

Depending on how much the car means to you, I'd suggest you do it yourself or go ahead and sell it (I really hope you just try it yourself).  You really appreciate the car more and get to tailor the work to the standards you set.  Time is really the biggest obstacle for most do-it-yourselfers.  Just take things slow and appreciate the progress as you make it.

The trunk and tail panel are not too bad, the floors and rockers can be done as well...All you really need is a grinder/cutoff tool and a welder (not ideal, but all you'd have to have), and initiative! 
There are a lot of knowledgable guys on the board who have done those reapairs countless times...They may not be able to work on the car for you, but they will certainly offer advice/tips  :Twocents:

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

hemi-hampton

Lee, Keep the car. If you cant post Pics, e-mail me the Pics & I'll post them for you. LEON.

hemi68charger

Leon, is that T5 or T7? maybe it's the lighting, but look pretty darn for copper. Looks more like my T7 '69 Charger 500..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tdub

Lee, Keep the car. My son was a teenager when we did his Challenger in 2002-2004. We did everything on that car - body repair for rust that involved welding, paint, interior, front end rebuild, all the electrical, brakes, convert to 4 speed, disc brake conversion, and you get the idea. It never went to a shop. On top of this, I had to keep a teenager focused on his car. A two year process but he got to drive it his senior year in high school. It was worth it. Don't give up. My son has moved away and his car is still here and he drives it and works on it whenever he visits. He now knows how a car works and isn't afraid to tackle mechanical work.  Terry

SFRT

I finally found a guy to do my rear quarters. He did my friends Satellite and the thing is just insanely perfect, and, as a plus, he is willing to do the work in my shop space while I 'help' so this means I can really get the project done right and push it along in a timely fashion...with the car under my control the entire time. He is a younger guy, but does a lot of quality restos and paint in the bay area. No way would I use any of the local shops, the 'good ones' dont do older cars, and the few that said they would are suspect from what i saw in their shops.So it looks like the scow will get new rear quarters in APRIL.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

purple70rt

Maybe no one wants to deal with you?? Don't take it the wrong way, as I don't know you.
I know myself, if there is someone I know who is very hard to please and constantly whines about everything, it does'nt matter if he has a pocketfull of cash, it's not worth the headache to deal with. :Twocents:

The70RT

Quote from: purple70rt on February 01, 2009, 05:04:45 PM
Maybe no one wants to deal with you?? Don't take it the wrong way, as I don't know you.
I know myself, if there is someone I know who is very hard to please and constantly whines about everything, it does'nt matter if he has a pocketfull of cash, it's not worth the headache to deal with. :Twocents:

I wouldn't go that far. If you drop someting off and let them do the contacting you may be waiting a long time. If your a headache and they don't want to be bugged they don't' need your business. Like Leon stated - the people who aren't persistant are the ones that get put on the back burner.

Lee A

No I am pretty cool and calm in my early 20s I had a 68 chevelle that needed quarters and a paint job gave it to the local shop two towns down.Didn't call or nothing I was always away working,my dad works in that same town he phoned me up and told me to go and get my car they were driving it around and not doing anything on it,I got it after 1 year roughly and said thanks for your time no complaining no yelling just drove away what do you say in that situation it won't solve nothing won't get it done.
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

The70RT

Quote from: Lee A on February 02, 2009, 02:31:05 AM
No I am pretty cool and calm in my early 20s I had a 68 chevelle that needed quarters and a paint job gave it to the local shop two towns down.Didn't call or nothing I was always away working,my dad works in that same town he phoned me up and told me to go and get my car they were driving it around and not doing anything on it,I got it after 1 year roughly and said thanks for your time no complaining no yelling just drove away what do you say in that situation it won't solve nothing won't get it done.

Plenty to be said. It may do no good but they know that I know they are worthless and spread the word. Hell yeah I would be mad if they were driving my car around.......and they would sure hell hear about it!

bull

I had to wait a year to get my Charger into the shop I wanted. That didn't bother me too much because I needed that much time and more to save up all the money I needed to pay for it. Do you have enough money to spend $10k-$15k on body work right now? If not maybe getting put on a waiting list isn't such a bad thing.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 01, 2009, 08:10:50 AM

Leon, is that T5 or T7? maybe it's the lighting, but look pretty darn for copper. Looks more like my T7 '69 Charger 500..........

Troy

Your Right Troy, It is code #T7, I had a slight Synapse misfire. Sorry. LEON.