News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tightening PS belt of 73 with 400 engine

Started by quentin, February 01, 2009, 03:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quentin

I recently replaced al my belts, and had a mechanic do it to make sure it was done right.  After a very brief period of everything working great, my power steering belt started screeching.  Feels to loose to me, so either he didn't get it tight enough or it has already stretched in a bit.  Screeches when I gun it... or between gears if I'm accelerating fast... or at about 73 mph.

So, I am trying to figure out how to tighten it myself.
I see there are two bolts that go through the PS assembly and into the block.
Do I loosen both and then wedge something in there (metal bar?) to pull the entire assembly out a bit... and retighten?
I have a bit of mechanic'n experience, but am fairly novice on most things.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

'73 SE, 400, 4 barrel with 3 on the tree

John_Kunkel

Look for a 1/2" square hole punched in the front bracket; plug a 1/2" drive breaker bar into the hole, loosen both bolts just enough to allow the pump to move, apply force to the breaker bar to achieve the desired belt tension, then tighten the bolts while holding the force on the bar.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

quentin

Thanks!  Sun is down today, but hopefully I can give it a shot tomorrow.
'73 SE, 400, 4 barrel with 3 on the tree

Nacho-RT74

I allways have think on how to get a best tension procedure for alternator, since there is not a smiliar system for them!!!

I have used a pry bar between water pump housing and alt, BUT, is meting the heater hose nipple and already damaged the hose.

sorry the highjack.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html