News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil weepage from valve cover bolts

Started by quentin, February 01, 2009, 03:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quentin

In my never ending attempt to get dry valve covers, I replaced the stock with mopar performance.  Has helped, but I'm getting a bit of oil weepage around the bolts.  Should I just keep tightening a bit at a time?  I thought I remembered also reading a tip here about putting a bit of silicon (or something similar) on the bolt threads to help seal them.

thanks...
'73 SE, 400, 4 barrel with 3 on the tree

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

quentin

62 Max

If it leaks around the bolts,the problem is the gasket.Get a set of 1612 Fel-Pro's and your problem will go away.

quentin

Unfortunately these gaskets are the 1612 Fel-Pros.  I think it was your tip that made me buy them, in another thread.  However, I am using generic (cheap) bolts.  Is it possible that's my problem?

I tightened up the bolts a bit today, and it did help.  But there is still very minor seepage.  I just figure there's got to be a way to get completely dry covers.   :icon_smile_angry:

Runner

as i said in the other post, studs and and 12 point nuts are the best way to go with cast aluminum valve covers.  also i love the felpro vs50145r gaskets,  try a pair WITH STUDS AND NUTS, youll like them.  they are about 12 bucks at your local parts store

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

resq302

I use those gaskets as well.  One thing I have found that prevents the bolts from loosening up and backing out is using the blue medium strength loctite.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

2Gunz

Make sure the valve cover bolts holes are level and not pushed in.

If that is all bent up its never going to stop leaking.

charger Downunder

I had two that were leaking and i took out the two bolts and put two new ones in that were slightly longer and it fixed the leak.
[/quote]