News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about oil pump screen and windage tray installation?

Started by WH23G3G, February 06, 2009, 12:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Ok I'm ready to bolt up the bottom end of my 400. All pistons are in and timing marks aligned and new timing set on. Everything turns smoothly. Everything was factory torqued with a new Craftsman Torque Wrench to factory specs. Now it's time to put on the oil pump screen. I'm just getting a OEM replacement screen. Does it need threadlocker? Will it ever come loose? I'm using a windage tray. Is it ok to use the Fel-Pro cork OEM replacement gasket for the windage tray? I can't find the fiber coated one or the silicone gasket. Will that windage tray ever cause problems? Would the 400-4BBL originally have had one on in 1973 in a Charger?

Ghoste

I would use a little bit of threadlocker.  I don't know if the regular engine builders consider that right or wrong but on the few that I have redone I've used it and no problems, so  :Twocents:.
You can use the cork gaskets with the tray but why can't you find the others?  The tray shouldn't cause any problems.  I don't think the 73 400's came with a tray stock but I'm not 100% certain.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on February 06, 2009, 12:41:23 PM
  I don't think the 73 400's came with a tray stock but I'm not 100% certain.

yes they were... any Magnum engine had it,and we got magnums on 73/74s
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

I stand corrected, I thought windage trays ended after the 71 models.

WH23G3G

There was one guy I new that had a problem with his crank hitting the windage tray. But he had a 440 and it was built. I wouldn't think I would have any problems because I'm just building a stock motor. So I'll try it and use it.