News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Had Enough BS

Started by Lee A, January 31, 2009, 04:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee A

I had it ,I am going to push my 69 into the dugout.I can't find one auto body guy to work on it even if I walked through a shop with hundreds hanging out of my pockets.I got a 69 Charger number matching 383 T5 with tan interior the motor even has all the original equipment on it except the exhasut manifolds.It needs a new trunk floor a new front floor panel,rockers and the rear tail section.My best friend is a body guy and lazier than shit he wouldn't even paint my air induction hood for my duramax!!!!And to add insult to injury I have been to about 4 or 5 autobody shops with in a 50 to 100 km raduis of my house and they all say oh we got a 3 year waiting period but yet there are no projects around the shop and now that people know I have this they have been calling and asking if I want to sell and just by talking some have been autobody guys but they are too busy also so I say no I'm too busy to sell it.I would post pics but after the couple of years of hanging around here I can't even get a GD picture to load onto my F---ing profile I am ready to throw the computer in the car and now push the whole works into the dugout!!!!!
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

1969chargerrtse

That's odd with a slow economy that body shops say they are busy?  As for the picture issue.  There is a help section, main page down neare the bottom.  Key thing is to make it small.  Sit back, relax and stop thinking about it for now.  What state are you in that the body shops are busy?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

mikepmcs

By the lingo, I'm guessing he isn't in the US, maybe Canada.
If you are still having trouble posting pictures email them to me at mikepmcs@yahoo.com.  I'll resize them and post em up.
Pics gotta be under 200kb and have some funky names so they don't duplicate what's already here.  (ex:  kjhgkjbh6655432)

Sorry about your car troubles, looks like you're gonna have to do it yourself possibly.

Welcome aboard. :wave:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemi68charger

Lee...
maybe I can help with the pictures.. Send me an instant message and I'll pass on my cell number.. I understand when you get frustrated, it isn't fun...........

You can either click my profile or click on the lower-most right icon below my picture where is comes up as "Personal Message online".... I'll send you a message as well..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Back N Black

I feel your pain, i had the same problem when i was trying to find a body shop. I finally settled on a shop that would work on it during their slow time. Apparently they did not have too many slow times because i got the car back 2 years later. The up side of it was i had lots of time to restore everything that i removed from the car. Maybe that's what you can do while your waiting for a shop? Start restoring all the small items i.e steering column, seat tracks, dash frame, heater box, grill, start buffing the stainless trim.

68 CHARGER R/T

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 31, 2009, 08:09:05 AM
If you are still having trouble posting pictures email them to me at mikepmcs@yahoo.com.  I'll resize them and post em up.
Pics gotta be under 200kb and have some funky names so they don't duplicate what's already here.  (ex:  kjhgkjbh6655432)

Sorry about your car troubles, looks like you're gonna have to do it yourself possibly.

Welcome aboard. :wave:

making fun of us canadians       ehhhh   :icon_smile_big:

daves68

Lee, First, most of us have been there at some point in our projects. I had a simiar experience with mine recently. No body shop wanted to mess with it because they don't make enough $$. They are more interested in the fast turnaround, new part replacement, insurance work. Lets face it - they can slap some panels on, squirt some paint and have it out the door in 1-2 days where resto work takes wks or mos. I gave up and learned body work myself. With the help of my brother and some close friends, we did it. Even built a home made rotisserie. When I could not beg or bribe a body shop to paint it, we made one in the garage, completely plastic wrapped it with ventilation and all. Had a friend with spray experience come over and lay it on. Ordered the vinyl top and headliner this wk. The "gang" is going to learn  how to apply one by trial and error. Mistakes? Plenty of them but they can be repaired easier than you think and no one but you will ever know. Car looks fine now and should be on the road soon. Hang in there and stay on this site. There is a wealth of information and I have found that the folks here are more than willing to help you.  You can do it so Git 'er done!
Dave

nh_mopar_fan

autodynamics

maybe you need a better best friend..

Mopar2Ya

Hang in there & don't give up. Finding a good/willing body shop can be very hard. Those that are willing are not always good, either. I must have contacted over 10 for mine & most said no, & that they only do insurance claims(because they can rip off the insurance companies). Maybe someone on here knows of a reputable place near you? GL.
Quote from: autodynamics on January 31, 2009, 10:35:12 AM
maybe you need a better best friend..
+1.  :rofl:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

jaak

Been there! Thats what gets me you read all the time post saying "car painted", etc. Thats my question... where in the hell do they find these people to work on them. The one guy that agreed to do my car kept it two years and didn't do anything with it. So me, like Daves68 decided if I want it done I need to do it myself. Im slow, but atleast progress is getting made.

Jason

mikepmcs

Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on January 31, 2009, 09:48:40 AM

Heck no, please don't take that wrong.  I merely said that because Lee used km instead of miles.  Also the word dugout is not commonly used for that purpose in the US.
Sorry , if it came off wrong. :cheers: :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

The70RT

When you take pictures with your digital camera take them on the lowest setting then load them on a floppy and then just load them on here. As for your avatar pic you may have to shrink it on a picture hosting site? Sorry about your luck. Don't force anyone to work on it. Many horror stories around on here about shops so careful.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68 CHARGER R/T

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 31, 2009, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on January 31, 2009, 09:48:40 AM

Heck no, please don't take that wrong.  I merely said that because Lee used km instead of miles.  Also the word dugout is not commonly used for that purpose in the US.
Sorry , if it came off wrong. :cheers: :2thumbs:

i'm just joking with ya    :icon_smile_big:

Back N Black

For pics, i e-mail them to myself and it pops up "make picture smaller", click yes and they are good to go.

hemi-hampton

Send it to me, I'm not to busy & just finished a 69 T5 car. LEON.

Stanleyart

Quote from: Lee A on January 31, 2009, 04:02:21 AM
I had it ,I am going to push my 69 into the dugout.I can't find one auto body guy to work on it even if I walked through a shop with hundreds hanging out of my pockets.I got a 69 Charger number matching 383 T5 with tan interior the motor even has all the original equipment on it except the exhasut manifolds.It needs a new trunk floor a new front floor panel,rockers and the rear tail section.My best friend is a body guy and lazier than shit he wouldn't even paint my air induction hood for my duramax!!!!And to add insult to injury I have been to about 4 or 5 autobody shops with in a 50 to 100 km raduis of my house and they all say oh we got a 3 year waiting period but yet there are no projects around the shop and now that people know I have this they have been calling and asking if I want to sell and just by talking some have been autobody guys but they are too busy also so I say no I'm too busy to sell it.I would post pics but after the couple of years of hanging around here I can't even get a GD picture to load onto my F---ing profile I am ready to throw the computer in the car and now push the whole works into the dugout!!!!!

Hey man, Just take a deep breath and back away for a few minutes, then come back to it. Not knowing where you are located, I do have someone to recommend and depending on your schedule of payment, he'd get it done between 6-12 months. If it's just bodywork that you need I couldn't imagine more than 3-5 months.

jaak

Leon, I wish I did live close to ya, I love to see pics of your work!

Jason

68pplcharger

Been there done that! I started to learn body work when I was 17, so I didn't have to deal with people that either didn't have the time or skill to do the job right. If they had the skill then I couldn't afford it anyway. If nobody can find the time in there busy schedules sitting around the shop doing nothing, then I would learn for myself. It takes time and alot of patients when you first start out, but it's worth it. If your friend wont do it, hopefully he is a good enough friend to teach you the correct way to do it yourself.   :Twocents:

daves68

Hang out at some local cruise nights and swap meets. Talk up your car and what needs to be done. You will make some new friends and may get the help you need. Be willing to help them too. Works both ways. And, you can learn by working on someone elses car.

hemi-hampton

Here's another view, Picture kind of dark though. You may see this car at Detroit Autorama & Chrysler Museum CEMA Show since the Owner works at the Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Michigan. LEON.

mikepmcs

Quote from: jaak on January 31, 2009, 03:08:52 PM
Leon, I wish I did live close to ya, I love to see pics of your work!

Jason

+1 Add me to that list!! :wave:

That car looks awesome

hemi-hampton

More light in this Pic. LEON.

bmoparmofo

69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

Sublime/Sixpack

It seems that most body and paint shops just want to do Collision work now days.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

FLG

Awesome work leon  :2thumbs:

Sublime, thats all my cousin does. People want things done cheap but then expect no corners to be cut in the process. Also guys give a price then realize after they start cutting that "wow this it alot more rust and work then expected" and either wind up loosing money or having to charge more and having an unhappy customer. Its hard to find a good resto shop, and there is a huge difference between resto shop and repair shop. And theres alot more money to be made in collision work then restos. Unless you have the manpower, shop, and the know how its hard work. 

hemi-hampton

I do new cars also but hate it. This car here was $12,000 in damage. You can get it done in 2weeks. You'll spend more time on a Resto for $12k. LEON.

hemi-hampton

After Pic

Lee A

That is all excellent work but I live in southern Saskatchewan kind of a mouth full lol you are right all people want to do is collision work,another friend of mine is building a house and can't get anyone to come and do his drywall or carpets or cupboards 1 guy even told him he would do the stucco (outside) for 40000 then decide 70000 my friend told him ok come do it and the guy couldn't even be bothered.My dad took his truck to the autobody shop closest to us to get the trim put back on the side rubber molding in October the damn thing is still sitting there.I think I will be better to sell it and cut my losses,I am so mad I want to  :RantExplode:
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

pettyfan43

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 31, 2009, 02:45:18 PM

That thing is PRETTY, I LIKE that!

hemi-hampton

LEE A, Here's a little insider Tip. Cars dont usually get done in order they come in. Usually they are Prioritized. That means the Customer that calls constantly everyday complaining when is my car going to be done gets pushed to the front of the line while the guy that never calls & complains gets his car pushed back in the corner to just sit for months. At least thats the way I've seen it work. :shruggy: :Twocents: LEON.

Lee A

A guy shouldn't have to nag the crap out of someone to do it though I can't find any body to start it
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

The70RT

Quote from: Lee A on January 31, 2009, 08:51:55 PM
A guy shouldn't have to nag the crap out of someone to do it though I can't find any body to start it

Don't take it to a place that doesn't act too interested.......you may never get it back.Sounds like your problem is theydont like to work on older stuff. The newer cars are drivers and little cosmetic things they get by with easier. On a resto they know most are gonna be a lot pickier. But it all depends on the place, Im sure Leon is proud of all his work he puts out. If you do find a place, tell them you will be by every other day or so and see what kind of reaction you get.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: FLG on January 31, 2009, 06:49:05 PM
Awesome work leon  :2thumbs:

Sublime, thats all my cousin does. People want things done cheap but then expect no corners to be cut in the process. Also guys give a price then realize after they start cutting that "wow this it alot more rust and work then expected" and either wind up loosing money or having to charge more and having an unhappy customer. Its hard to find a good resto shop, and there is a huge difference between resto shop and repair shop. And theres alot more money to be made in collision work then restos. Unless you have the manpower, shop, and the know how its hard work. 

So true! The guys (three different shops) that have done finish body work and paint for my restorations no longer want to bother with it. Collision work is all they'll do now.  So, if I get another one thats needs paint I'll have to find another shop. We all know what a hassle that can be.
Its good to know theres still people out there like hemi-hampton that will take on a restoration AND do a top notch job.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 31, 2009, 05:10:31 PM
More light in this Pic. LEON.

That paint really looks good!  It looks like its wet. Very nice.

hemi-hampton

Lee, Your absolutely right, You should not have to nag to get it done. I agree 100%. Even being in big city of Detroit (motor city) it is very hard to find anyplace that does resto work or quality resto work. All the resto place's I've worked at in past 25 years have done 2 things. #1 Gone out of Businness. or #2 Switched to doing new cars. It's pretty sad & depressing unfortunately. LEON.

Lee A

Then I guess I am forced to sell it.It really burns my ass I got the money but that's it.What is the lesson learned here don`t buy anything that is more than 2 years old.I am just steaming.
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

TheGhost

Quote from: Lee A on February 01, 2009, 12:21:19 AM
Then I guess I am forced to sell it.It really burns my ass I got the money but that's it.What is the lesson learned here don`t buy anything that is more than 2 years old.I am just steaming.

Why sell?  Is it costing you anything to hold onto it?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Lee A

No its not, but its like a rock in the front yard it sits there and does nothing
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

TexasStroker

There in lies the beauty of self-sufficiency.

Depending on how much the car means to you, I'd suggest you do it yourself or go ahead and sell it (I really hope you just try it yourself).  You really appreciate the car more and get to tailor the work to the standards you set.  Time is really the biggest obstacle for most do-it-yourselfers.  Just take things slow and appreciate the progress as you make it.

The trunk and tail panel are not too bad, the floors and rockers can be done as well...All you really need is a grinder/cutoff tool and a welder (not ideal, but all you'd have to have), and initiative! 
There are a lot of knowledgable guys on the board who have done those reapairs countless times...They may not be able to work on the car for you, but they will certainly offer advice/tips  :Twocents:

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

hemi-hampton

Lee, Keep the car. If you cant post Pics, e-mail me the Pics & I'll post them for you. LEON.

hemi68charger

Leon, is that T5 or T7? maybe it's the lighting, but look pretty darn for copper. Looks more like my T7 '69 Charger 500..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tdub

Lee, Keep the car. My son was a teenager when we did his Challenger in 2002-2004. We did everything on that car - body repair for rust that involved welding, paint, interior, front end rebuild, all the electrical, brakes, convert to 4 speed, disc brake conversion, and you get the idea. It never went to a shop. On top of this, I had to keep a teenager focused on his car. A two year process but he got to drive it his senior year in high school. It was worth it. Don't give up. My son has moved away and his car is still here and he drives it and works on it whenever he visits. He now knows how a car works and isn't afraid to tackle mechanical work.  Terry

SFRT

I finally found a guy to do my rear quarters. He did my friends Satellite and the thing is just insanely perfect, and, as a plus, he is willing to do the work in my shop space while I 'help' so this means I can really get the project done right and push it along in a timely fashion...with the car under my control the entire time. He is a younger guy, but does a lot of quality restos and paint in the bay area. No way would I use any of the local shops, the 'good ones' dont do older cars, and the few that said they would are suspect from what i saw in their shops.So it looks like the scow will get new rear quarters in APRIL.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

purple70rt

Maybe no one wants to deal with you?? Don't take it the wrong way, as I don't know you.
I know myself, if there is someone I know who is very hard to please and constantly whines about everything, it does'nt matter if he has a pocketfull of cash, it's not worth the headache to deal with. :Twocents:

The70RT

Quote from: purple70rt on February 01, 2009, 05:04:45 PM
Maybe no one wants to deal with you?? Don't take it the wrong way, as I don't know you.
I know myself, if there is someone I know who is very hard to please and constantly whines about everything, it does'nt matter if he has a pocketfull of cash, it's not worth the headache to deal with. :Twocents:

I wouldn't go that far. If you drop someting off and let them do the contacting you may be waiting a long time. If your a headache and they don't want to be bugged they don't' need your business. Like Leon stated - the people who aren't persistant are the ones that get put on the back burner.

Lee A

No I am pretty cool and calm in my early 20s I had a 68 chevelle that needed quarters and a paint job gave it to the local shop two towns down.Didn't call or nothing I was always away working,my dad works in that same town he phoned me up and told me to go and get my car they were driving it around and not doing anything on it,I got it after 1 year roughly and said thanks for your time no complaining no yelling just drove away what do you say in that situation it won't solve nothing won't get it done.
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

The70RT

Quote from: Lee A on February 02, 2009, 02:31:05 AM
No I am pretty cool and calm in my early 20s I had a 68 chevelle that needed quarters and a paint job gave it to the local shop two towns down.Didn't call or nothing I was always away working,my dad works in that same town he phoned me up and told me to go and get my car they were driving it around and not doing anything on it,I got it after 1 year roughly and said thanks for your time no complaining no yelling just drove away what do you say in that situation it won't solve nothing won't get it done.

Plenty to be said. It may do no good but they know that I know they are worthless and spread the word. Hell yeah I would be mad if they were driving my car around.......and they would sure hell hear about it!

bull

I had to wait a year to get my Charger into the shop I wanted. That didn't bother me too much because I needed that much time and more to save up all the money I needed to pay for it. Do you have enough money to spend $10k-$15k on body work right now? If not maybe getting put on a waiting list isn't such a bad thing.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 01, 2009, 08:10:50 AM

Leon, is that T5 or T7? maybe it's the lighting, but look pretty darn for copper. Looks more like my T7 '69 Charger 500..........

Troy

Your Right Troy, It is code #T7, I had a slight Synapse misfire. Sorry. LEON.