News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum heads..

Started by Arkgl01, January 29, 2009, 04:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkgl01

Want to bolt on some aluminum heads on my 440.. Mild cam nothing madjor. I hear go edlebrock but wondering what everyone recommended? Can anyone help?

Thanks Mark
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

mikesbbody

Edlebrock or the new 440 source heads and the mopar heads which im told are basically edelbrocks.
I should point out, i have had none of those heads hopefully guy's will chime in to give you a better idea re: the pro's and con's but if it were me, id go with the edlebrocks.

RECHRGD

I've got the Mopar aluminum heads that are made by Edelbrock.  They are basically the same head as the ones that are marketed by Edelbrock except they have straight plug holes rather than the angled ones.  This makes them more user friendly with most headers.  Regardless which head you buy, you should always have them checked out by a professional before just bolting them on.  Even the best quality after market heads may have some "issues" that the novice will never notice.  These heads along with a cam change netted me about 60 more RWH, so they do work well.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

flyinlow

Have Eddys ,so far ,so good. 4,000 miles. Put kerosine in chambers to check valve seal before I installed them. locks were installed correctly and the valve stems were the same height.

Used felpro 1009 gaskets and ARP head bolt set.

Angle plugs are a pain. limit header choice. Won't work with manifolds.

They do make more power.

firefighter3931

As mentioned above ; there are several good options available but to get the most out of an aluminum head upgrade the components should be properly matched. Header selection with the angled plug Eddy RPM heads is limited. The Mopar aluminum 452 castings and 440 Source Stealths use straight plug angles (like stock) and are compatible with any header.

With an aluminum head it's important to dial in the compression ratio (10-10.5:1) and use a cam profile with enough lift to access the increased flow potential.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Arkgl01

Thanks for the info! I really am leaning toward the 440 source hades cause I do have headers!
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Runner

angled plugs are supposed to be worth some hp.   how much? i dont know.  they are also supposed to be less prone to detonation.   i think someone should do back to back tests with the mopar 452 head and the edelbrock rpm head sence they are the exact same head except for the plug location.   how bout it ron,  why dont you order up a set of mopar heads and prep them the same as your edelbrocks and redyno you motor  :D

i dont think header selection is as limited as some say you just have to get a little creative with your plug wire boot ends,  mach up the header on the head prior to installing them on the car.   the thoreys are supposed to work well, ttis are supposed to work well, ive ran headmans with no issue at all with angled plugs and im now running hooker 5903 headers  and only had to SLIGHTLY ding 2 tubes and i have to be careful with the plug wire boot selection on 2 plugs.  the drivers side of the hookers are supper nice with angled plugs,  but the passenger side header is the tricky one, not really an issue,   just takes a little love.    goodluck with whatever head you decide

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

flyinlow

452 head, (I have a pair stored in my Edelbrock boxes) are open chamber smog heads. Would need different pistons to raise CR.

I run about 10.5 static CR. My luniti 60303 cam decreases the effective CR. to about 10.0 .  Match your parts.

Aluminum heads can tolerate higher CR. on pump gas then iron heads. However some of the heat is taken from the combustion process by the higher heat transfer of aluminum.

I have not had good luck with metal products not made in the USA or Japan.  :Twocents:

I run Hooker comps on my Eddys. I beat them into submission. Clearenced two tubes for plugs and two for steering. Carry a spare plug wire for # 8 cylinder.

RECHRGD

Quote from: flyinlow on January 30, 2009, 06:57:01 PM
452 head, (I have a pair stored in my Edelbrock boxes) are open chamber smog heads. Would need different pistons to raise CR.

I run about 10.5 static CR. My luniti 60303 cam decreases the effective CR. to about 10.0 .  Match your parts.

Aluminum heads can tolerate higher CR. on pump gas then iron heads. However some of the heat is taken from the combustion process by the higher heat transfer of aluminum.

I have not had good luck with metal products not made in the USA or Japan.  :Twocents:

I run Hooker comps on my Eddys. I beat them into submission. Clearenced two tubes for plugs and two for steering. Carry a spare plug wire for # 8 cylinder.

This is the "452" head that Runner is talking about, not the stock cast iron unit.  Mopar had e-brock stamp a 452 designation on them for whatever reason.  They are identical to the RPM head with the exception of the straight plugs.  I used my Hooker comps, with them and no beating was needed.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on January 30, 2009, 06:04:58 PM
angled plugs are supposed to be worth some hp.   how much? i dont know.  they are also supposed to be less prone to detonation.   i think someone should do back to back tests with the mopar 452 head and the edelbrock rpm head sence they are the exact same head except for the plug location.   how bout it ron,  why dont you order up a set of mopar heads and prep them the same as your edelbrocks and redyno you motor  :D

That would be an interesting test.  :scratchchin:

Assuming you could get identical port volumes and flow numbers.....i doubt that there is much difference in power between the straight vs angled plug in your typical street/strip type build. Maybe on an all out race build it's worth the hassle of header clearance.  :shruggy:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

Did not know that.

If I could start the build over the straight plug Mopar aluminum heads would probably be my choice.

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 31, 2009, 09:22:39 AM

Mopar had e-brock stamp a 452 designation on them for whatever reason.  They are identical to the RPM head with the exception of the straight plugs.  I used my Hooker comps, with them and no beating was needed.  Bob

Certain class rules allow for an aluminum head with a factory part number so MP had Edelbrock modify the RPM casting to level the playing field. Ford and GM allready had aftermarket replacement style aluminum heads that were legal and now Mopar racers have the same luxury.  :2thumbs:

A few of us recommended the MP 452 aluminum heads to Bob when he was looking for an up upgrade. Knowing that he had a set of Hookers and didn't want to replace them it was the logical choice with the strait plug that comes with those heads.  :yesnod:

Ron