News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The rescue *Charger under raps* 2/17/09

Started by BB1, January 29, 2009, 11:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72SE

It's hard to trust people and enjoy the hobby after going through all of this crap! After my "buddy" screwed me out of probably over 20 grand + (still haven't replaced all of the lost parts after 8 yrs and storage fees) I have a hard time enjoying cars that I have paid all of that money to restore and still can't drive them. If they hadn't been my fathers cars (who has passed away) I probably would have just thrown in the towel. You've gotta do what you've gotta do!   :cheers:  Mike

Troy

Quote from: BB1 on January 31, 2009, 07:52:31 PM
I agree with all that has been said, unfortunately the result would be me selling the whole thing.
Why not get the car where it's safe and regroup? Build a solid plan with a budget and a time line before talking to any shop. Think it through and ask around for recommendations. It is very hard to find a decent shop that won't screw you and will actually work on older cars. I got fed up a few years ago and just put everything in storage (except whatever was running). That's why you guys haven't seen any progress pics of the Chargers. Only now am I moving forward again and it's because I think I've finally found a couple of good options and I'm focused enough to follow through. I knew I'd hate it if I sold the cars. So many other people have regrets.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ACUDANUT

BB1, Can't Stuart, Wayne or anyone store the car for you ??  Are you just going to walk away and leave/give it to  this bodyshop ??  Heck, I am always willing to help a Mopar Brother out.  Let me know what you want to do.

BB1

Thanks Troy, I woke up today with a different way of thinking about it.

I'm going to call around today, I know two shops that are reputable.

These guys are really good, my old Cuda is there now. San Antonio TX

http://www.paintshop101.com/

Red Door Restoration is in McPherson KS, They have outstanding reputations, being most of the techs there come from McPherson College. It has a J Leno connection too.

I have all the parts to finish the body, I just need someone to weld it up and paint it in prime.
Then I can store it for another day.

Interior, I have most of it.

I never ask for help, but I need 2 or 3 guys besides me to man handle all the parts that hopefully are still there.

PM me your number plz.

This rescue will take place at a convenient day and time for all.
Delete my profile

firefighter3931

Geez, this Bodyshop Drama never seems to end ! I went through the same thing and had a restoration held up for several years !  :flame:

I agree with the others...get your car + parts out of there ASAP !!!!

If i were closer i would gladly help with the rescue & recovery effort. You're in good hands with the KS Mafia covering your back.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

moparstuart

Quote from: BB1 on February 01, 2009, 08:15:37 AM
Thanks Troy, I woke up today with a different way of thinking about it.

I'm going to call around today, I know two shops that are reputable.

These guys are really good, my old Cuda is there now. San Antonio TX

http://www.paintshop101.com/

Red Door Restoration is in McPherson KS, They have outstanding reputations, being most of the techs there come from McPherson College. It has a J Leno connection too.

I have all the parts to finish the body, I just need someone to weld it up and paint it in prime.
Then I can store it for another day.

Interior, I have most of it.

I never ask for help, but I need 2 or 3 guys besides me to man handle all the parts that hopefully are still there.

PM me your number plz.

This rescue will take place at a convenient day and time for all.
Ed I still say call my buddy Ed horner in adrian missouri , He can have the sheet metal on the car and it in primer in a week for you . Hes great them you can get it painted where even later .

waynes car   3 weeks to paint        http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51577.0.html
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BB1

Give me his number, I'll give him a call too.

I'd like to see his work if I can.

There are members on here with worse stories.  :yesnod:
I made the mistakes by trusting a smooth talker, I hope I can say "never again."

I feel like such a toad right now.  :rotz:
Delete my profile

moparstuart

Quote from: BB1 on February 01, 2009, 09:22:25 AM
Give me his number, I'll give him a call too.

I'd like to see his work if I can.

There are members on here with worse stories.  :yesnod:
I made the mistakes by trusting a smooth talker, I hope I can say "never again."

I feel like such a toad right now.  :rotz:
go through my birdible thread and waynes thread he did the work on both

modmidget

Why do people keep paying big bucks "up-front" to have work done?  You're just begging to be ripped off when you do.

When I restored my '68 Charger I told the body and paint guy I would pay him when the work was completed to my satisfaction.  He finished the job in less than 3 weeks......  I did go buy the paint ($500.00) and take it to him but he didn't get another dime until I picked the car up. 

It's not just car restorations where people are getting ripped off.  I see people paying in advance to have new roofs put on their house and then the work never gets.  I see people paying in advance to have interior remodel jobs done in their houses and then the work never gets done. 

Ten years ago I hired a contractor to build my new 26' x 26' garage.  I went to the lumber yard and bought the materials as he needed them but I didn't pay him a dime for his work until the job was completed.  He finished the job in less than a month and I paid him the day he finished.

When a contractor (or body and paint) guy asks for money up front that should be a BIG red flag telling you something is not cool.  Reputable business men never ask for money until the services have been performed.

Todd Wilson

I am glad I got Frankie so I dont have to worry about restoration shop problems!   :icon_smile_big:

Todd

BB1

To be honest I put most of my money in parts, but a year later the parts are cheaper to buy now.
I will never put a dime upfront ever again.

Thanks  :P

I'm back on the road Todd, need to make more money.  ::)
Delete my profile

BB1

:whistling:

Walking away a winner...  :dance:

AMD Full trunk, full cab floor, wheel house, odds and ends.
CBD doors and full 1/4s
Mancini Frame connectors
4 heave duty torque boxes
XV rad support
3 trunk lids
Full rockers too
Delete my profile

PocketThunder

If there is a full trunk floor pan from AMD you're not going to use anymore you can send it my way...  :callme:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: BB1 on February 04, 2009, 05:18:17 PM

CBD doors and full 1/4s
Mancini Frame connectors
XV rad support
3 trunk lids
glad you did it

BB1

I need it all.  :D

Only thing I never bought is front fenders.

Quote from: moparstuart on February 04, 2009, 05:27:34 PM
Quote from: BB1 on February 04, 2009, 05:18:17 PM

CBD doors and full 1/4s
Mancini Frame connectors
XV rad support
3 trunk lids
glad you did it

Yes, you guys were so darn hard on me.  :spank:
Ha j/k.
Delete my profile

mikepmcs

Phew!  Glad you got it.  Man ,that makes me feel better.  You too I bet! :2thumbs: :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

quapman

I must have missed something.

Did you get the car back safely?

68charger383

Yeah,

you got the parts out, but was there a body! Sounds like a CSI episode.

Smart move on getting it out now. When doing a contract with a body shop, best thing is to include bonuses/penalty clauses: Body ready for paint by 3/1/09. If so, than the shop gets an extra $500. If not, shop loses $500.

Go talk to the shop owner and try and work out a refund if one is owed. Based on your prior posts, this guy will talk you into paying him another $1,000. So just give him a shot at maning up.

Write him a letter, certified mail, demanding a refund or else you'll seek a judicial remedy.

File a claim in small claims court. Go get three estimates for the value of the work this guy performed. The damages will be the difference between the amount of work done and the amount of money paid. Example, he did $2,000 worth of work and you paid him $4,000, then he owes you $2,000.  :yesnod:

An additional component of the damages could also be the additional cost to complete the car if any additional cost has been added due to the body shop's work. (costs more money to go in and fix something that they did than it would have cost if they did not do the work) So if it would have cost $5,000 to do the car originally, but now due to an incorrect 1/4 being done, the shop has to start over on this work get a new 1/4 panel, time to remove time to prepare the 1/4 etc. and the final cost to complete the car is $7,500, this extra $2,500 cost would be a possible damage you could seek from the body shop.  :eek2:

But as noted by Old Moparz, this guy won't own anything and it will be hard to collect. Might want to just chalk thinks up to experience and look for a good shop.

Good Luck

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Back N Black

Quote from: modmidget on February 01, 2009, 12:41:13 PM
Why do people keep paying big bucks "up-front" to have work done?  You're just begging to be ripped off when you do.

When I restored my '68 Charger I told the body and paint guy I would pay him when the work was completed to my satisfaction.  He finished the job in less than 3 weeks......  I did go buy the paint ($500.00) and take it to him but he didn't get another dime until I picked the car up. 

It's not just car restorations where people are getting ripped off.  I see people paying in advance to have new roofs put on their house and then the work never gets.  I see people paying in advance to have interior remodel jobs done in their houses and then the work never gets done. 

Ten years ago I hired a contractor to build my new 26' x 26' garage.  I went to the lumber yard and bought the materials as he needed them but I didn't pay him a dime for his work until the job was completed.  He finished the job in less than a month and I paid him the day he finished.

When a contractor (or body and paint) guy asks for money up front that should be a BIG red flag telling you something is not cool.  Reputable business men never ask for money until the services have been performed.

I can see both sides of the paying up front. Some guys drop their cars at body shops with big plans and when the car is done they have no cash to pay the body shop. The shop is left holding the bag. When i dropped my car at the shop they wanted 2 grand up front to start. When the money was used up, i gave more, that way no one gets burned. There is deadbeat shops around and there is deadbeat customers out there. I'm not saying it has to do with BB1 case.

Magnumcharger

Ok...and the flip side....
I had a bodyshop, and I did a few restoration jobs on the side, around insurance jobs mostly.
I made it a practice to get a bit of working capitol up front from several customers, mostly to buy materials, panels AND to make THEM commit to the venture!
I tried it the other way too...no money down, no paying until the job was finished. And guess what?
I got burned almost EVERY time I left it to the customer to pay. A few I even had to take to court to get money out of them. These cases I always won, as I had a signed contract with their name on it. Not to mention the idiots who wouldn't come get their cars when they were done...just to get free (heated) storage for the winter!
And, a few customers managed to STEAL their cars out of my compound, and completely avoided payment. I'm still owed thousands of dollars from these deadbeats. My gigantic brother-in law offered to "readjust" these characters, free of charge! I declined his offer....and waited for them to sink their own ships...which they always did! Funny how Karma works everytime!
I ran an honest shop, and I stood by my work. I always gave the benefit of the doubt to my customers.
Which is why I no longer work as a bodyman, or do bodyworking as a business.
People are too flakey! :Twocents:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

72SE

:iagree:

Well put! That's why I had no problem handing over a down payment. I've been down the same road with customers. Would I do things differently now? Definitely!

Glad you got it out. Car too? More details. Hopefully car is no worse than when it was brought in. Mike

ACUDANUT

Quote from: quapman on February 04, 2009, 07:48:27 PM

Ya, you did not mention the car, Just parts.  What did this body shop owner say to you when you pulled out ???

72SE

Quote from: 72SE on February 05, 2009, 04:30:48 PM
:iagree:

Well put! That's why I had no problem handing over a down payment. I've been down the same road with customers. Would I do things differently now? Definitely!

Glad you got it out. Car too? More details. Hopefully car is no worse than when it was brought in. Mike

The70RT

Sorry Ed. Go get it .............another Kansas Mafia member here.  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 05, 2009, 07:35:59 PM
Quote from: quapman on February 04, 2009, 07:48:27 PM

Ya, you did not mention the car, Just parts.  What did this body shop owner say to you when you pulled out ???

Yet another bodyshop disaster... :rotz:  I knew that you were having problems with your shop, but did not know how bad.

My C500 bodyshop fiasco only got worse the longer I tried to work out a way out with the troll in charge.  Of the $19K+ paid to the bodyshop, about $12K to $14K was a complete waste...

Everyone is right, rescue the car body and any remaining parts... and don't forget items like the fender tag or other ID related items.  The car is at risk as long as it is on bodyshop property!

Just my  :Twocents:  Good luck with the recovery plan...

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,