News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What torque converter for this build

Started by squeakfinder, January 28, 2009, 12:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeakfinder

I'm going to pull my tranny with 1500 miles on it because of some problems that arose recently.
I started noticing performance was declining, then it flat out started slipping. The fluid is burnt, there is very little sign of clutch material in the pan, but there is small pieces of aluminum (stator?).

I will not be purchasing another one from TRANSMISSION EXCHANGE in Portland, OR. Sorry about the rant, here's my build;

1975,  440 .060 over
Comp cams CRB XE268H Stock rocker arms
Intake Duration: 268
Exhaust Duration: 280
Intake lift .477
Exhaust lift .480
Holley 770 street Avenger
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Speed pro L2335F Pistons (9.48:1)
452 heads with mild port and polish
Steel crank (stock specs)
Summit CD box with rev limiter
727 Torqueflite
subframe connectors (welded in)
3.91 suregrip
295-50-15" BFG's on the back

This is in a 68 Charger that is primarily a street car, but I'd like to take it to the track 2 or 3 times to see what it will do. I don't want to get to crazy on the price. Should I just get a stock one or should I be looking at somthing in 2200 2500 stall range?

Thanks Larry
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

lisiecki1

i'd put a good rv convertor in it....something in the 22 to 2800 range....i used to run a 2500 behind my 400 horse 360 (rip :'() and it got decent mileage (3/4 tank houston to dallas) and had a considerably better launch off the line
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

firefighter3931

The Turbo Action "street hemi" converter would be a good choice for that combo, inmo.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

squeakfinder

firefighter3931

Quote from: squeakfinder on January 28, 2009, 07:20:45 PM

So is this the one?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Turbo-Action/912/17801/10002/-1#

Yes ! That converter also uses a 7/16 bolt as opposed to the stock 5/16 size for increased strength. You will need to upgrade the flexplate and converter bolts while you're at it.

440 Source carries a nice solid disc flexplate that is basicly the same as the B&M flexplate at less the half the price. MP also makes an SFI flexplate for this application.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

squeakfinder

Thanks Ron. I'm also running headers and 2 1/2 inch exhaust. Stock points distributor that I re-curved with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. Peek timing is around 2600 rpm when I last checked it. And 3/8 fuel lines. It was running real good until the transmission problems.

Do you have any clue what h.p. this should be running?

firefighter3931

Larry, you have some descent stuff in that build ; RPM intake, headers, 2.5in exhaust, descent XE Comp cam, good carb etc...

Assuming that the heads flow a little better than stock and with the aformentioned upgrades it should be in the 410-420 hp range and 500+ ftlbs of Torque. The TA converter will help with the launch yet still be tight enough for regular street duty. A good converter makes a world of difference.  ;)

Ron

500hp_440

Nice! :drool5:
Mine used to have a 3,000 or 3,500 torque converter, I think that what your talking about(?) But it's stock now.
Just remeber that the higher you go the less time between getting new tires :2thumbs:
Let it alone^.