News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CAN I LOCATE MY OLD CHARGER SOLD IN 1975 WITH ONLY THE LICENSE PLATE # ??

Started by model maker, January 26, 2009, 08:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

model maker

I want to try and find out whatever happened to my 68 charger that i sold in 1975, I remember the license plate # but nothing else. is there a  free site where i can check the plate # to see whatever happened to the car ? I sold it in the S.F. Bay area and got talked into buying a 72 firebird by non other than my girlfriend soon to be wife very soon to become EX wife soon to be known to all here as CHARGER KILLER, come to think of it, she was somewhat responsible for  my 68 charger and me parting company.  I didn't care much for the firebird and traded it in for a 73 Mustang Mach 1.   a couple of years later  while i was working in downtown S.F. I saw my former 68 charger ( same license plate ) and parked in front of it was the 72 Firebird ( again same plate ) that was a 1 in a million chance of happening again, both of my cars i sold together  parked along the street in S.F. and owned now by 2 people who did not even know each other.
MODEL MAKER

69bronzeT5

Without the vin number....the chances are pretty slim....HOWEVER, I've been looking for my dad's old '69 GTO and I've gotten a lot of leads (up to Aug 2008) without posting the vin number to it.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

baullz

I remember when we were looking for my brothers '69 coronet and we didnt know the VIN (we were going to surprise him for his 30th bday).  We got ahold of the VIN through our insurance company we had at the time.  Mind you he owned this car back in the mid 90's (dont know if your insurance company will have records from 1975) and we still use the same insurance company to this day but it might be worth a shot to get ahold of the VIN, which will make finding it a bit easier.

If I remember my sister-in-law tracked it down after we got the VIN through the DMV, I think.

bakerhillpins

I would have thought that the car's registration could be looked up by the state via the old plate? After all, when you get pulled over the cops usually pull up the registration/history of the vehicle via the plate. The registration would/should have the VIN on it?  :Twocents: :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69charger2002

a lot of times after a car has been off the road/transferred for a few years. they disappear out of the system. in some states it's longer than others. for instance, here  in Louisiana a car drops out of the system after only 2 years.. even if you have the VIN it will say no record.. crazy but true. i tried to track down my first ever new truck.. 93 s-10. went the insurance company route, sure enough they still had my VIN on file, but DMV had no record of it. must have been in mexico for over 3 years already at that point..   :rofl:
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

dpm68

It would seem to me that you would need have to the vin to put things in motion. Hey Trav, is it a constant struggle to keep rust at bay in Louisiana? I lived in Monroe for a spell and my god did rust have a hold on things. Inquiring minds wanna know.... - dave.

Finn

Hmm...my 68 was in San Fran at one point. Last digits didn't happen to be 69 did they?  :D
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

bull

If it has the same plates and the tags have been renewed within the past 5-10 years or so it should still be in the system. A lot depends on the laws of the state in which the car is/was registered. If the rules are too strict you can try letting a cop run the plates, if you're related to or are friends with a cop that is.

model maker

Thanks for the tips. I will try my insurance company and while i am at it, try to get my 69 chargers vin if possible. Finn, yes in San Francisco, last digits  on the plate were 398
MODEL MAKER

model maker

MODEL MAKER