News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger

Started by clanton, January 26, 2009, 05:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clanton

I need some help.I bought 70 Charger off of ebay for 20k. It was advertised as a running car. When I got the car it hardly runs at all, and if it does it has no power. Ive told the seller I want my money back. There was no notification on the sale that the car was sold as is. The seller is back pedalling on the deal. How do I get this guy to know Im serious about getting my money back. I think the guy knew it ran like shit, and tried to pass off the problems of the car to me. I need some advice on how to get this guy to know Im not messing around about returning the car.
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

CB

didn't you check the car before you handed over that amount of cash???

I took a 17h flight to check out a car
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

rich4406bbl

It may be quite difficult if downright impossible. Try contacting ebay about possible fraud. Is it possible that maybe it's just badly out of tune, crossed wires, timing or carb problem? It may be something quite simple to fix. I drove 5 1/2 hours each way when I bought my charger and got one that was exactly as advertised. My buddy drove 30 hours to Texas with his truck and trailer for a 69 RT/SE, looked at at for 1/2hr and drove back home empty because in person it was a POS but the pics on-line made it look like trailer queen. I hope that you get satisfaction because 20K is a tough lesson to swallow.

Dodge Don

Do you have the link to the EBAY auction so we can look at it?

Mopar2Ya

I'd start w/ebay/paypal first, then maybe the state attorney general?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

clanton

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

F6Bee

Doesn't look like a horrible car for the money.  He does state " this car has come out storage need minor tinkering ", I guess that was his way of saying runs like a worn out dog, get your toolbox ready.

Good luck.  Rick.

nh_mopar_fan

Have you diagnosed what the issues are with the car beyond "hardly runs"?

Is it me or does that shot of the frame at the torsion bar look funny?

Sublime/Sixpack

Maybe this isn't what you want to hear but after looking at the photos I'm not sure why you're so upset with the car. I'm not a fan of that color combo but the car looks pretty solid and mostly unmolested. Maybe your expectations were a little too high.  Personally I wouldn't let the engine not running well discourage me.
Just food for thought clanton, I know a guy that bought a 1970 Charger R/T a fews years ago, he paid 20,000 dollars for it and it has rust all through it, engine still doesn't run, gas tank was separate because the trunk floor was gone, in other words it needs just about everything.    :shruggy:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Dodge Don

If the engine running poorly is the ony issue I'd say you got a pretty nice car there. A big block, SE, Power discs, power windows, gator grain roof, AC....those are some great options!

Again, assuming that only the engine needs to be freshened up or even rebuilt, I'd say it was not too bad a deal.  :Twocents:

mikepmcs

I have to agree with everyone else here. Decent car for the money and looks to have some nice options. Is it possible you may be having a little buyers remorse over the fact that you spent 20K and it's not perfect.  I think just viewing the pictures you got a decent deal.  Now let's diagnose those engine issues and get you on the road to happy land.  It won't take long.  Probably a new cap, rotor, Firecore plug wires from Ron(made by Custom  Wire Sets and Performance Products) , some NGK XR5 plugs, and dial her in timing wise and you will be all set.  Other quick things to perform would be flushing the coolant, an oil change, fuel filter change etc.... all cheap and mandatory things to do when you purchase a ride off someone else regardless.
Looks like you did pretty well for yourself.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TeeWJay426

Not only does the car look pretty decent for the money, I know this dealer personally- he's a pretty reputable guy, and doesn't misrepresent things. If he sells it for 20K, it's usually a 20K car- never known him to screw anybody. From the pics, I'd say you did fine- if the car had sat for awhile, empty the fuel tank and put some new gas in, tune it up as others above suggested, and it will probably run fine.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

hotrod98

The gas that we're getting today is pretty much junk. I agree with keeping the car and figuring out the problem. Empty the tank, refill it with 93 octane, change the plugs and see if it runs any better.
If you don't like tinkering with engines, then maybe you shouldn't have bought an old car.  :Twocents:

Good luck.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 27, 2009, 12:29:42 PM
The gas that we're getting today is pretty much junk. I agree with keeping the car and figuring out the problem. Empty the tank, refill it with 93 octane, change the plugs and see if it runs any better.
If you don't like tinkering with engines, then maybe you shouldn't have bought an old car.  :Twocents:

Good luck.
:drool5: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  nice looking car , keep it ,
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

i was looking at that auction . looks like a cool car may just need some tlc.  if the car was sitting could be that the  carb is dumping or the fuel system is dirty and check the timing and change  the plugs  . . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

skip68

WOW, full power, air, =  nice car.  :2thumbs:  Even if it needed a fresh motor I think that's not a bad deal at all.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

CB

:o wow, I like that car, it does look like you gonna need a little elbow grease to make her spin like a kitten but you got a nice Charger!  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Charger1970

Quote from: Dodge Don on January 27, 2009, 11:42:18 AM
If the engine running poorly is the ony issue I'd say you got a pretty nice car there. A big block, SE, Power discs, power windows, gator grain roof, AC....those are some great options!

Again, assuming that only the engine needs to be freshened up or even rebuilt, I'd say it was not too bad a deal.  :Twocents:

I agree with Don.

FT6? Mine is also FT6. Misery loves company...   :icon_smile_big:
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

472 R/T SE

Looks like a $20k rig to me.  :shruggy:

Also very similar to a friends gator topped R/T.

tan top

Quote from: moparstuart on January 27, 2009, 12:38:16 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on January 27, 2009, 12:29:42 PM

Good luck.
:drool5: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  nice looking car , keep it ,

nice charger :yesnod:   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dodge Don

You know, Clanton, that car is fairly rare.

We know that there were only 409 1970 Charger 500 V8 cars built with CRT5 SE interior...so it is 1 of 409

Now the V1G Gator Grain top only came on 4.8% of 70 500 V8 models so assuming all being equal that results in 1 of 20 70 500 V8 SE CRT5 V1G cars.

Only 4% of 70 500 V8 models came with power windows...so again, assuming all being equal that results in 1 of 1 70 500 V8 SE CRT5 V1G P31 cars.

You can never prove it until the 70 Registry finds every car but the point is your car is rarer than the average car...a good score in my mind.

mikepmcs

Way to go Don, I was gonna buy it from him.  :rotz:

Just kidding, but was wondering how desirable this car was myself.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dpm68

Do as others have suggested, and if you have the means and such, perform a compression test on it after you get it dialed in. Nice car though.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Dodge Don on January 27, 2009, 07:05:55 PM
that car is fairly rare.

We know that there were only 409 1970 Charger 500 V8 cars built with CRT5 SE interior...so it is 1 of 409

Now the V1G Gator Grain top only came on 4.8% of 70 500 V8 models so assuming all being equal that results in 1 of 20 70 500 V8 SE CRT5 V1G cars.

:scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

My Donor car was/is a '70 500 SE with the tan leather interior...It came with a gatorgrain top, 383 4bbl, auto/console, A/C, AM/FM disc brakes, etc. most of which were gone when I bought the car for it's front fenders and hood for my Daytona clone....I wonder how rare this old rustbucket is  :scratchchin:

It's pretty much junk now :eek2:

Steve P.

Unless there is a ton wrong that we can't see I think you did very well...  I agree with everything said before me...  :2thumbs:

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida