News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 450 hp w/stock heads?

Started by hermopar383, January 25, 2009, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermopar383

I've got an hp 383  auto in a 68 Charger w/ac.  I want to get approx 400-450 horse power out of it with the stock heads     and I would like to keep the AC.      Is that possible?   Is there a website that will allow me to plug in my engine details and desires and have it tell me what pistons and parts that I would need to do that?  What size cam?  New Crank?  Bigger valves? Rollers?  OH my! 

I have plans to keep it relatively stock but would like a few modern appliances like headers, K&N air filter setup, updated electronic ignition and an aftermarket AC pump. 

Also, talk to me about gear drives.   You hear them whining but do they add HP or other benefit? 

Ok, that's it for now but oh boy do I have my work cut out for me!   

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

hermopar383

Quote from: bordin34 on January 25, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
I know Mopar Muscle did an article on this I will try to find it now.
Edit- Here it is
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/155_0209_383_engine_restore/index.html

Thanks Bordin!   This helps answer a few other questions that I also had.  :-)  A budy of mine told me that I would need the stealth heads, .030 + pistons, thumper cam, rollers etc etc etc to get 450 hp out of that engine.   Whew!  It won't break the bank afterall!

SeattleCharger

the stealth heads would help a lot, they are aluminum and allow higher compression while still able to run pump gas, and let more air and gas in, and they have the stock placement of the plugs for ease with headers, as opposed to the eddy rpm heads that have angled plug inserts and are a pain to get to the plug with the headers,
   when you buy them have a machine shop go through them and check the specs and springs etc., standard for any heads you buy really,    get a good intake manifold too,   with the right cam, intake , aluminum heads, headers, you should have a bad ass engine, will be radical

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

hermopar383

I wasn't thinking plug access.  I do remember that it was a real pain getting a couple of the plugs out of the RR with headers & stock heads.  Thanks for the tip/reminder. 

At this point, I'll have the engine out in a couple of days.  Once i get it magnafluxed, I'll find out if the block is any good.  It's been dead in the guys garage for almost 20 years.  The old guy couldn't even tell me how it died at 24,000 miles (Likely 124,000).  I've been able to ID some serious wiring issues but no red flags with the liquids.  Everything seems to turn over ok.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the numbers matching block will not need a head stone.