News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission Cooler

Started by Moparbob, January 24, 2009, 07:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Whats everyone doing about their transmission coolers? My Rad has one and I have an external. I'm thinking of running it through both. What say you>?

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

flyinlow

Cooler only, But my princess lives in a heated garage . When I drive it on a 10 deg, day it takes about 20 miles to get the transmission temp. guage to get above 100 degrees

If you drive in sub freezing temps. alot you might be better off with the radiator heat.

Sublime/Sixpack

I'd say through the radiator then through the trans. cooler. Thats the way my old Mopar cop car was. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Moparbob

I wont be driving in cold temps ( I live in the south) and this is a weekend/nice weather ride.

I like Cops SixPack :2thumbs:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

I allways bypass the radiator and run the cooler as a stand alone unit. This keeps both the engine and trans running cooler and is less taxing on the cooling system. This helps a lot in the summertime when the ambiant air temp reaches 85* or more. One thing i've found is that transmissions never have a problem developing heat....converters slip and that creates lots of heat.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sublime/Sixpack

Ron, would what you say apply even when driving when outside temps are in the 20's and 30's?  And if only running a separate trans cooler is there a minimum size one should run?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

firefighter3931

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 25, 2009, 02:15:30 PM
Ron, would what you say apply even when driving when outside temps are in the 20's and 30's?  And if only running a separate trans cooler is there a minimum size one should run?

I'm not sure how many guys run their cars in the 20's & 30's but an external cooler will still work OK in those conditions....the fluid will just take a little longer to reach operating temp. I'm more concerned with summertime driving when it gets really hot out.  ;) You'd be surprised how much heat develops just sitting at a stoplight with the trans in gear and your foot on the brake.  :yesnod:

I've had very good luck with the B&M stacked plate style Supercoolers.  :2thumbs:

Would i run a standalone cooler in a year round vehicle....No. However, i have no problem running a stand alone trans cooler in a 3 season cruiser/hotrod....even with a stock Tq converter.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

squeakfinder

So what size is adequate for a street driven car?  I'm seeing widths of about 11 to 20 inches.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

ACUDANUT

Bob I sent you a E-mail about those brackets.  What gives ????

flyinlow

Ron, It's not a Chevy. I drive mine when its cold. If the roads are clear. 

B&M  plate cooler works great.