News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is the factory ignition good enough?

Started by Foreman72, January 25, 2009, 04:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

so i'm looking at rebuilding my 318 and bringing it to about 400+ HP...now i'm wondering if i would be best off getting the mopar factory electronic ignition or should i step up to a mallory or MSD package? what about the coil? i think new factory stuff should be fine...any thoughts? thanks :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Nacho-RT74

yes is good enough for street/strip car. MP parts are a good upgrade from strictly stock parts. If you want a better upgrade an MSD dist is a better jump from MP distributor and more worthly than the ignition modules.

what I mean is if you want to upgrade by parts and compairing them, the distributor upgrade from stock distributor ( or even MP ) to MSD is more worthly and effective than the jump between Mopar ign module to MSD ign module. Thats mainly because if you get an MP distributor NEEDS to be revised/checked carefully before mount. MSD dist is more quality piece from the box.

I think the MSD ign module is a worthly upgrade on a 10-12 seconds car. Will worth the $500 average price, but for street/strip car, $60-70 MP box is MORE THAN ENOUGH really.

Somebody made a comparision table on Moparts between several ign modules on street and on race measurements and diference was not noticeable for the price

:Twocents:

Modules opinion is about just why I read. The dist opinion is by my experience.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

I agree with nacho-cheese. Mopar electronic ignition is all you will ever need.

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat