News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I obscure my VIN and license plate in pictures?

Started by 375instroke, March 31, 2009, 07:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

I see license plates obscured on TV all the time.  Am I not supposed to know that that purple Lamborghini with a sunroof sawzalled doesn't belong to Bam Margera because they block the plate?  Well, If I post my fender tag, should I pixelate the VIN?  Why?  What about the license plate number?  Can't I get all the VIN numbers I want at car shows?

ChgrSteve67

Most cars on TV are borrowed or rented. Since people are wacko they may actually think that car belongs to the actor driving it they might try to use the plate to try and find them ending up at the door of the real owner.

Fendor tags don't have the complete VIN number so a picture of that does not lead back to the car.

VIN number does lead back to the car and can potentional be used to trace the history of the car. Though I have found the DMV generally cannot tell you the complete history of a car this old. At least not in CA.

As for myself I have let pictures of my license plates end up on the internet as well as pictures of my fendor tag.
I have not put my complete VIN on the Internet figuring as long as someone is not able to assemble all three pieces they are less likely to try to use it in a scam or at least it creates a percentage of error in trying to represent my car as something it is not. (Not sure if that makes sence or not).

I guess in the end its like putting the identity of your car out there for the world to see, good or bad.

Steve (Just my 2 cents)

Ghoste

From 69 on the complete VIN is on the fender tag and yes, I would obscure or hide it.  I never used to think that way but the musclecar feeding frenzy of the last few years has changed things.

375instroke

So what about car shows where everyone knows there are going to be dozens or hundreds of a certain type of car, at a specific place, at a specific time, with all the license plates and VIN numbers available for all to see?

Ghoste

I've removed my fender tag and the vin for a 67 is on the door jamb but if I had a dash one I'd just cover it.  Plates, well there is a limit to my paranoia.  The plate is on display as it should be.

bull

I'm not going to bother with it. How many people walk by your car every day on the street with the VIN and LP out there for all the world to see? Is it really that much more dangerous because it's on the internet? I doubt it. No one can run my plates through the state of Oregon but a cop anyway and if a cop wants to find out he's going to find out. I think it's paranoia. I could see it being a potential problem in a state where ID theft laws are lax but for the most part I don't see what all the fuss is about.

The70RT

Quote from: bull on March 31, 2009, 10:12:56 AM
I'm not going to bother with it. How many people walk by your car every day on the street with the VIN and LP out there for all the world to see? Is it really that much more dangerous because it's on the internet? I doubt it. No one can run my plates through the state of Oregon but a cop anyway and if a cop wants to find out he's going to find out. I think it's paranoia. I could see it being a potential problem in a state where ID theft laws are lax but for the most part I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Yep....and there is more ridiculous threads on here about if you take the time to search. If you are wanted or scammed someone and are worried about watching your back take precaution. If not I wouldn't worry about it  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

There are more ridiculous threads, period.  I still have no intention of advertising mine but if we all sleep soundly tonight then we are all right.

FJ5WING

I see no reason for the hiding of VINs or plates. What is going to happen?  :popcrn:

As far as covering the dash plate? what good is that if you display the fender tag? I have yet to see anyone hide their license plate at a show so why bother in photos?

Its a big society in hysteria train of thought.  :nana: I would love to see one instance of something happening to someone because someone with bad intentions grabbed their VIN or plate off the WWW.
wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

And yet, everyone went nuts when photos were posted of KWS' Charger with the plates displayed?
In any case, like I said my fender tag is removed and you can't see the VIN for my car either.  The car isn't special but I don't care; it's mine and the info pertaining to it is mine and if that makes me paranoid, then so be it.  :icon_smile_big:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on March 31, 2009, 07:43:33 AM
Most cars on TV are borrowed or rented. Since people are wacko they may actually think that car belongs to the actor driving it they might try to use the plate to try and find them ending up at the door of the real owner.

Fendor tags don't have the complete VIN number so a picture of that does not lead back to the car.

VIN number does lead back to the car and can potentional be used to trace the history of the car. Though I have found the DMV generally cannot tell you the complete history of a car this old. At least not in CA.

As for myself I have let pictures of my license plates end up on the internet as well as pictures of my fendor tag.
I have not put my complete VIN on the Internet figuring as long as someone is not able to assemble all three pieces they are less likely to try to use it in a scam or at least it creates a percentage of error in trying to represent my car as something it is not. (Not sure if that makes sence or not).

I guess in the end its like putting the identity of your car out there for the world to see, good or bad.

Steve (Just my 2 cents)
" VIN number does lead back to the car and can potentional be used to trace the history of the car. Though I have found the DMV generally cannot tell you the complete history of a car this old. At least not in CA."
Man you ain't kidding about that.  I got a lawyer involved and still couldn't get the address.
I was told it came from when the actor "Sam" was killed because the killer got her info from the DMV and that ended that.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

C_stripes

I guess it would depend on the car. Some cars, you sort of have to show them with their vin/fender tag shown. Examples would be very early production cars. Or cars used for PR work. If you don't show the vin/fender tag. It's just another car. Take my friends Road Runner. If you don't see the vin/f-tag. It's just another yellow 70 six pack road runner. But if you look at the fender tag and vin tag you see that it is numbered 100023 and says job advertising on the fender tag as well as an "M" on the VON. I would say that something like that needs the numbers to be shown to prove the what it is. Besides, if someone is going to try and steel that car, good luck to them.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

69bronzeT5

I've seen cases where people have stolen fender tags off cars at car shows. It's rare but it does happen.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

C_stripes

I have devised a good way so they won't be able to on mine. I am going to hit the bottom of the screw with a welder to put  a burr on it. It will make it allot harder to get out.

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 31, 2009, 07:27:15 PM
I've seen cases where people have stolen fender tags off cars at car shows. It's rare but it does happen.

By seen, do you mean heard of? I have heard of it happening, but never really met anyone that it has happened to. I am not going to say that it is just a scare. But I don't think it's as big of a deal as people fear it is.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.