News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big problem with electrical/ ignition on 69 charger with 440

Started by MARKS, January 22, 2009, 07:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARKS

Good Afternoon,

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T with the original 440. About 2+ years ago, I was at a car show and when I went to accept an award, I tryed to start the car and the car would start right up, but as soon as I let go of the key, it would shut completely down. I tryed to start it at least 20 times, and always the same results. After the last attempt, my starter wire caught fire, which I put out. I replaced the starter wires and it started right up and we drove it home. When we pulled into the driveway, it shut down and continued doing the same thing as before.

I have replaced the starter, alternator, coil, ignition switch, and every other electrical part I can think of. It started and ran last year for about 2 miles, then started doing the same thing and has sat since. Ive replaced the ballast resistor twice and it still does the same thing. I have been told the problem has to be related to the ballast resistor, but I cant find it. I checked most of the wires, and although they are old, I dont think they are the problem.

Anyone got a clue as to what I'm not seeing? thanks

69ISFINALLYMINE

Because of the way that you described it I would lay money that there is a loose or otherwise poor connection in the ignition circuit.  With the key on you should have power to the coil.  When the problem comes up use a volt meter and start checking for power at the coil and then backtrack through the wiring to the ballast resister, etc.  You might even have a loose connection under the dash on the ignition switch or in your fuse box.  I have even seen physically broken fuses that were not "blown" but the metal end of the fuse came loose from the glass and when someone twisted it the fuse wire broke inside.  It would touch internally and allow current to pass but at times it would would not, even though it looked like it was still good when installed.  I guess what I am saying is that if you have no voltage at the coil and you have checked everything else then verify the voltage across the fuse for the ignition circuit. Also check inside your distributor and make sure that the plate is grounded.

John_Kunkel

One side of the ballast will have a double blue wire, the other side will have a blue/brown combo. Disconnect both from the ballast and check with a volt meter or test light.

The double blue will have power with the switch in the Run position but will shut off in the Start position. The blue/brown will have power in the Start position but will shut off in the Run position.

Your problem is probably a lack of power at the double blue in the Run position, check the blue wire where it connects at the bulkhead disconnect; poor contact at the bulkhead is a source of many firewall forward electrical problems.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Topher

Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com