News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HID lights!

Started by BrianShaughnessy, November 04, 2008, 08:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Honestly, if you try them once you will NEVER go back to standard lights... Yes, they are that good. Congrats Bri - no go drive around in the darkness...  :D

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TUFCAT

Its amazing you can have this technology in your old classic car!

I just don't drive mine at night to warrant the expense.

On a side note, I have HID lights on my newest car....and I have to agree - - they're offer the best visibility I have ever had - - on any car!

It makes driving at night SO MUCH BETTER - (a lot less stressful on the old eyeballs) -  MUCH safer too!  :yesnod:

challenger70

Quote from: 2Gunz on December 07, 2008, 08:59:33 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 07, 2008, 06:48:37 PM
I think I will begin a crusade againts HID headlights...they kill my eyes when meet with some car equipped with... REALLY

Its because most the aftermarket ones are not projectors that have a focused beam.
Most are just HID bulbs that are stuffed in an H4 housing that was never designed for
them and the light just goes everywhere.

Ive been looking at putting a set of projectors in mine but so far cant find any that
are shallow enough.

Thats exactly right, is there a true HID setup, that has the correct housing/lenses that bolts to  our cars?  Not just an HID bulb stuffed into an incorrect housing?  I really want to get HID on my Challenger and Charger but want to do it right.  I am ready to just do the H1/H4/CSR upgrade and forget the HID. :shruggy:
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

Rolling_Thunder

it can be done...   using a projector, igniter, relay, and all that but you'd be looking at HUGE money
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

challenger70

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 08, 2009, 07:27:19 PM
it can be done...   using a projector, igniter, relay, and all that but you'd be looking at HUGE money

wouldn't the only difference between putting the HID in the H1 setup and a true HID setup be the housing designed for the HID?
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger

2Gunz

Quote from: challenger70 on January 08, 2009, 07:57:38 PM

wouldn't the only difference between putting the HID in the H1 setup and a true HID setup be the housing designed for the HID?

Yes.

But really the projector is the star of the show.

Here is an example of projectors with great cutoffs.

2Gunz

And here are some pictures of some HID that are stuffed into something else........

2Gunz

It becomes pretty clear of why there is glare in non projector lights.
Even thou its hard to dispute the insane light output.

Currently there IS a full projector retro but it is very expensive and
I dont really like it.  Plus its the first run.

Basically I dont think its worth it.

autodynamics

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 04, 2008, 08:24:00 PM

AKA:   Mr. Angry lights provided by Pete (Autodynamics).   Got dual filament kit the other day.   

With a little thinking and a leftover plug from an old headlight harness I got HIDs on dim and then rigged up the flash to pass bulbs on to work with the regular halogen high beams. 

Driving around with the HIDs on is super cool!   Great visibility over the old halogens.    Thanks Pete!

1 & 2.  HIDs.
3 & 4. Hi beams.

this looks great to me

2Gunz

Quote from: autodynamics on January 09, 2009, 03:53:43 AM

AKA:   Mr. Angry lights provided by Pete (Autodynamics).   Got dual filament kit the other day.   

With a little thinking and a leftover plug from an old headlight harness I got HIDs on dim and then rigged up the flash to pass bulbs on to work with the regular halogen high beams. 

Driving around with the HIDs on is super cool!   Great visibility over the old halogens.    Thanks Pete!

1 & 2.  HIDs.
3 & 4. Hi beams.

this looks great to me

Ya I love the light output.

And your setup is the best thing I have seen going so far,
short of spending $1000 and hacking up the car.

Nice work.

challenger70

Quote from: 2Gunz on January 09, 2009, 03:46:58 AM
Quote from: challenger70 on January 08, 2009, 07:57:38 PM

Yes.

But really the projector is the star of the show.

Here is an example of projectors with great cutoffs.

No I know what you mean, is the projector itself THAT expensive, since you really need everything else anyway to put em in an H1 housing, that it becomes that much more?  Could you link the kit?  I assume the hacking up woul dbe the headlight buckets to get them to fit?  Thanks for the info so far.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger

KillerBee1972

1 & 2.  HIDs.
3 & 4. Hi beams.

Where would i get somthing like that!? They are sweet, my dad told me he did that to his charger when he got it, but cant remember where he got them!
1964 Plymouth Fury "old 70s drag car"
1973 Dodge Charger SE B9 blue 440

2Gunz

Pete (Autodynamics)  Is a member here and does the kits.

Click on the link below and send him a message.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=198

NorwayCharger

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com