News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nitrous Users!

Started by KillerBee1972, January 20, 2009, 05:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillerBee1972

Im looking to buying a nitrous kit :D, and i was woundering if nitrous makes or breaks the car, makes it better or worse, :shruggy: let me know what you all think!1
1964 Plymouth Fury "old 70s drag car"
1973 Dodge Charger SE B9 blue 440

Rolling_Thunder

depends really - if you are using a conservative 75-125hp shot there is really not much of a danger...   but the engine should be honestly set up for anything more than that...   ring gaps, pistons, ect.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ronv

:iagree: I have used a 125 shot of nitrous for a long time now. No issues. Just take a few degrees of timing out and use good gas and you are on your way.

dukeboy320

Massively Over Powerd And Respected

bull

500hp_440

you'll find out when you flip the switch!
Purty engine :drool5:
Let it alone^.

Beer

I have not sprayed my 402 Stroker yet, I did build it with Nitrous in mind...I have a spare Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake drilled and tapped for 1/8 NPT Direct Port nozzles.

From my LS1 experience Properly set up systems include window switch (most systems recommend activation above 3000 RPM, the window switch will spray at whatever you select for RPM say 3000-6000 RPM). The system needs  to be armed and usually has a Wide Open Throttle Switch.  So there are basically three conditions that need to be met for the system to fire.

1 System Armed
2 Wide Open Throttle
3 RPM within the "Window"

A 100 shot will put a smile on your face, but Nitrous downfalls are filling the bottle for $60 a fill and waiting for the bottle to heat up etc...

Your options include Direct Port or a Carb plate system.  You are looking at a "Wet" System vice a dry (Dry tricks the PCM of modern cars to add fuel through the injectors...) Timing needs to be pulled as well (generally 2-4 degrees per 100 shot), and colder plugs are recommended. 

There are all kinds of safety devices out now, Harris Speed Works has a Window Switch that connects to a Wideband and you can set limits on the AFR.  If you go lean (this is what kills the engine) the Window Switch sees the WB reading and automatically shuts down the Nitrous.

Keep in mind the Nitrous systems are designed around pressures. Bottle pressures are usually 950-1025 PSI and need to be that for proper Air Fuel Ratio.  Your jet size for the Nitrous and fuel is based on the bottle and fuel pressure.  This being said a Bottle heater (or NANO type push system) is used.  Takes about 20 minutes for a cold bottle to heat up on a cold day...

Purge Systems some consider "ricer" but they actually serve a useful function of clearing the air out of the line so the system hits as it should, and on hot summer days you bleed off the excess bottle pressure so you do not run the risk of being lean. 

If your thinking Nitrous I would discuss options with these three vendors I have used these guys (tell em Beer sent ya)  These guys will explain and answer Questions without pushing the sale.
Dynotune Nitrous (Dean or Dave)
Nitrous Outlet (Ray Chris or Dave)
Harris Speed Works (Matt or Mike)

Here are a few pics of my Two Stage Nitrous on my LS1

Wet Plate

Dry Dual Nozzle

Overall

Bottle setup

Control Panel

Gauges

Jim
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

superduperbee

Better Drag Racing through chemistry I always say :coolgleamA: Now take a deep breath, push the button and relax :2thumbs:

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Joshua

I ran a NOS Cheater on my Charger back when I street raced, ran it with the 175 hp pills.....it was alot of fun.

Doright

Beer
Thats a cool set up! Love the gages

This is mine I got it for a boat I was building ended up selling the boat before I finished it, It was almost finished too.

Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Beer

Sweet directport! Those -6 Fuel lines? You were not playing around ! 

If and when I get to the Directport on the Charger it will be a four noid setup, probably go 200 shot max (-6 Mainline) maybe a Standalone at the Charcoal canister location. Plan is Black distro Blocks and maybe Black softline.  My goal is to have two street/track cars; the Vette and the 73 Charger, and run both in the 11.5 class.  The Vette is there now (some minor tune issues, it has a H/C on it as well), the Charger when finished hopefully will be mid/low 13's as is, maybe hi 12's NA if I port the heads and do a cam/carb swap.  11's should come easily on spray, and the lower end is already Forged w/ ARP Bolts. 

Real focus though will be getting the body done and see how far I can get the Charger done this year, while getting some seat time at the track with the other car.

Though now ya got me thinking ditching the charcoal canister and start fabbing up the Standalone and mocking up the directport!
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

500hp_440

Quote from: Doright on January 23, 2009, 10:41:09 AM
Beer
Thats a cool set up! Love the gages

This is mine I got it for a boat I was building ended up selling the boat before I finished it, It was almost finished too.

I want one for my charger  :D
But I dont think 20 gallons would last but a few minuets :lol:
Let it alone^.

Beer

Well, I have inquiries out on direct port nozzles, and I think the charcoal canister area will be a sweet spot for a standalone, I may speed up the process of installing the Nitrous...LOL anyone else need a 73 Standalone fabbed up, be cheaper made in QTY?

Look at that open space by the radiator overflow...