News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone like "Jensen Interceptor" don't forget about the tiger?

Started by BB1, January 20, 2009, 09:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB1

Go to page two, the right car has been found

Jensen Interceptor

http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/sunbeam/tiger.html

The Sunbeam Tiger was relatively inexpensive for its performance; still, fewer than 7,000 were made over its four model years. It was billed as the world's fastest production car for under $3,500 (steep but not excessive for 1965). The Sunbeam Alpine, in contrast, was just $2,400. By 1967, it was billed as the world's fastest car
under $3,700 (the price having moved up) and was sold in the United States by Chrysler dealers, sold as the "Rootes Sunbeam."

Wonder what they go for? Didn't they have 340s in them?

Stick a 6.1 in there and your dead.

Oh this is the Chrysler Sunbeam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Sunbeam

There is a
   * Sunbeam-Talbot 90
   * Sunbeam Alpine
   * Sunbeam Rapier
   * Sunbeam Sport
   * Sunbeam Tiger
   * Sunbeam Vogue

:scratchchin: weird.

Delete my profile

72chargerSE

They were Ford powered, had one hand me my ass back in '82.

BB1

There is no way I would mess with one, unless I owned it.  :D

I thought Chrysler had a small sports car too. Can't think of the name.  :shruggy:

Delete my profile

Magnumcharger

I found a real nice Chrysler Sunbeam Alpine in a junkyard in Alberta. I was very surprised to see a pentastar on the lower section of the front right fender!
Whereupon I had a steep learning curve on this subject!!

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 20, 2009, 10:17:17 AM
I found a real nice Chrysler Sunbeam Alpine in a junkyard in Alberta. I was very surprised to see a gold Pentastar on the lower section of the front right fender!
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BB1

I found a real nice Chrysler Sunbeam Alpine in a junkyard in Alberta. I was very surprised to see a gold Pentastar on the lower section of the front right fender!

They use to show up at our Mopar car shows back in the 80ds.

I just don't have any picture of them. 
Delete my profile

mikepmcs

Quote from: BB1 on January 20, 2009, 09:59:55 AM
It was billed as the world's fastest production car for under $3,500 (steep but not excessive for 1965). The Sunbeam Alpine, in contrast, was just $2,400. By 1967, it was billed as the world's fastest car

You didn't think Maxwell Smart would drive just any car did you.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

oh and NO to answer your original question.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on January 20, 2009, 10:20:33 AM
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :shruggy:

Chrysler bought the Rootes Group while the Alpine and Tiger were in production.  So it was possible to get a later Sunbeam Tiger with a Ford engine and a Pentastar on the fender.   Fitment of the Chrysler engine was a problem.

Sunbeam Alpines (the base model - no Ford stuff) are fairly inexpensive.   Tigers have always been a poor mans Cobra and are now pricey.   I would imagine you can spend $50k on a decent Tiger. 

PocketThunder

My old roommate has a Sunbeam Alpine that he got from his father-in-law after he passed.  My old roomate is a diehard Chevy guy and i like to tease him about the mopar in his garage....  :icon_smile_big:  :icon_smile_big: 

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Todd Wilson

Looks like a Colt!

I'd like to find a Plymouth Cricket.

Todd

68pplcharger

Sunbeam Tiger was a Ford motor in a British car body(sound familiar) ... They discontinued the Tiger in 67 when Chrysler bought Rootes. The Chrysler V8 wound't fit becuase of the distributor being located in the rear. Carol Shelby was the person responsible for making the first prototype with a ford 260 c.i.d.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: BB1 on January 20, 2009, 10:15:25 AM
There is no way I would mess with one, unless I owned it.  :D

I thought Chrysler had a small sports car too. Can't think of the name.  :shruggy:

Looks like a Dodge Omni?

Do you mean the Conquest TSI? http://www.allpar.com/cars/chrysler/conquest.html
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Magnumcharger

Check out this webpage!!
http://www.teae.org/
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

moparstuart

not a sunbeam but british and mopar motivation
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mikesbbody

My dad had one but that was before i was born. Not really a fan of british cars (or any european cars for that matter) imo they over engineer things making repairs expensive and alot harder than they need to be  :Twocents:

Tilar

Quote from: 68pplcharger on January 20, 2009, 12:22:34 PM
Sunbeam Tiger was a Ford motor in a British car body(sound familiar) ... They discontinued the Tiger in 67 when Chrysler bought Rootes. The Chrysler V8 wound't fit becuase of the distributor being located in the rear. Carol Shelby was the person responsible for making the first prototype with a ford 260 c.i.d.

I had a friend that I went to school with that had one that had a 289 in it. Way to light for that much engine.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Aero426

Quote from: mikesbbody on January 20, 2009, 05:14:17 PM
My dad had one but that was before i was born. Not really a fan of british cars (or any european cars for that matter) imo they over engineer things making repairs expensive and alot harder than they need to be  :Twocents:

Production English cars tend to be rather agricultural in their basic engineering.  Aside from the mysteries of the SU carburetor, the rest is pretty simple.  An acquaintance had a Tiger and it had TWO fuses.  I would not describe that as over-engineered.

mikesbbody

well there's another car some kind of 2 seater lotus to get to the water pump you have to remove the head dont think that's overdone?

Aero426

Quote from: mikesbbody on January 20, 2009, 09:31:53 PM
well there's another car some kind of 2 seater lotus to get to the water pump you have to remove the head dont think that's overdone?

There's a big difference between a mid-engined Lotus and a Sunbeam Alpine.   Common ore British cars are very mechanically straightforward.    A good tractor mechanic can work on them.     

mikesbbody

if you say so whatever...i could give you many example but im not going to bother i come here to discuss dodge chargers not british cars.

Aero426

Quote from: mikesbbody on January 20, 2009, 10:04:53 PM
if you say so whatever...i could give you many example but im not going to bother i come here to discuss dodge chargers not british cars.

I am not suggesting there are no complex cars made in Europe.    Just that it doesn't apply to a Sunbeam Tiger.   

DodgeByDave

Anyone recall the Jenson Interceptor?

QuoteThe Jensen Interceptor was a sporting GT-class car (semi) hand-built in the United Kingdom by Jensen Motors between 1966 and 1976. The Interceptor name had been used previously by Jensen for an earlier car made between 1950 and 1957. The car broke with Jensen tradition by having a steel bodyshell instead of glass-reinforced plastic and by having the body designed by an outside firm, Carrozzeria Touring of Italy, rather than the in-house staff. The early bodies were Italian-built, by Vignale, before production by Jensen themselves began – with subtle body modifications – in West Bromwich.

QuoteThe engine was a Chrysler V-8 initially of 6276 cc (383 c.i.) with optional manual (Mark I, only few built) or TorqueFlite automatic transmissions driving the rear wheels through a limited slip differential in a conventional Salisbury rear axle. The engine grew to 7212 cc (440 c.i.) in late 1971 with 4-bbl carburation. The SP (Six-Pack) model of 1971–73 offered 3x2-bbl carburation; only 232 were built and had the distinction of being the most powerful car ever to have been made by Jensen (390 hp (290 kW)).

The sunbeam is a cool car. The Jenson is a Cobra killing monster. I had a 440 single 4 barrel Jenson. Wrapped it around a tree. Huge fun, many stitches

By dodgebydave
III, we are everywhere

Brock Samson

I'm a BIG fan of both the J.J. and the Sunbeams, and have started and posted pics of alot of more obscure little lovered (here) furrin makes,..  do a search with the country's names & that should show several my other favs some of which are the Italians, French and the Swiss such as Montiverdi Hai...  :2thumbs:

BB1

That's it, the Jenson Interceptor. Thanks Dave.

Anyone like the Jenson  :drool5: The real ass kicker.  :D  Cobra :down:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/jensen-interceptor.html

A movie car too.

http://www.jensencars.org/jenseninfilms.html

Anyone remember The Saint, with Rodger Moore?

The Junkman?

Hear the POWER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wJm5G8EhlA

The original Dukes of Hazzard, S&B 3nd Gen alert!!!!! Video!!

Speedtrap (1977)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXPCyKZjoc&feature=related

Mr. Handcock??  :smilielol: :smilielol:
Delete my profile