News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What MSD ignition set-up is the best? Need replys in a hurry!

Started by NYCMille, November 15, 2005, 10:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Hi guys -

I currently have a Crane Hi-6 ingnition and want to replace it - I am going to go with an MSD set-up but am not sure what to go with. Should I get the MSD 6 box or the 6AL, also I was looking at the Blaster 2 coil - does this sound right to you guys? am I leaving anything out?

Thanks - Mike

Blown70

6 AL   you can go with a 6 T it is usually more for the track,,, and not sure if they still have them.

Tom

cudaken

I use the 6 and works fine. If you want a soft touch rev limter 6-AL.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Runner

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Chryco Psycho

NYCMille

Well, at first we thought I was having a vapor lock problem - and we did everything short of swapping out the carb to correct the situation. So now we think the Crane iginition box may be going... so were trying a swap with that.. we'll see what happens.

Runner

if its not a daily driver id call crane, they very well may test it, and fix/replace it for free. i personally think the crane is just as good and the rev limiter is easier to set.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

471_Magnum

Before you start swapping ignitions systems, check your voltage to your box. MSD/Crane/Mallory boxes do not like weak batteries.

If your cranking voltage is dropping below 12V, you need to be looking at your electrical system.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

firefighter3931

:iagree: check the spark quality by grounding a plugwire to the engine. You should be seeing a bright blue spark. If it's orange (weak spark) you have a problem somewhere and it might not even be with the box. Check the coil voltage as well.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs