News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine timing

Started by darkside, November 03, 2005, 03:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkside

383-440 guys What degree do you have your timing set at.I've got a accel crapy points distributor in my 69 383.I'm fixing to up grade to electronic soon but for now i need it set.It still tries to run a little after i kill it so it must be set to high.

71charger_fan

What's too high? B engines generally seem to like more total timing than RB engines in my experience. I've run my 400 at as much as 52 degrees total advance with no ill effects. But, perhaps, the lower compression of the 400 makes that much timing possible. Too bad, there was a nice thread on this at the old site. Hopefully the same people will have the same good information.

cudaken

Darkside, if it is a dual point with the upper bearing plate under the rottor last thing it is crappy. Mine as served me well for around 27 years now. Had a longer shaft installed so I could use it in the 426 Maxie.

Anyway I set the timing at 12 BTDC with the current 509 cam in my 68 Runner and have total 38 at 2000 RPMs.

With Accel points it is stable to 7800 RPM's, stock chevy points 6000 Rpms.

Cuda Ken
I am back

darkside

It is  dual points.What would cause it to try and keep running for a sec. after you kill it?

Ghoste

Dieseling could be timing, or cam timing, or fuel related or...  Is it struggling to run on or is it a case of turn off the key and it runs gradually dying off?

doechsle

It usually happens when the idle speed timing is to low, you have to open the carb. butterflies more at idle to overcome the lower vacume from the lower ignition timing. It starts a chain reaction. All the Big mopars have a large bore to short stroke ratio which is more proned to detonation. Carbon buildup in the cyl. heads could also be a big factor.

darkside

My  383 thats in my car has a set 906 440 heads and a purple shaft cam with an offey  intake with two 4 bbl edelbrock 600 carbs. When i kill it it turns over for a sec then dies.

Mefirst

Quote from: darkside on November 04, 2005, 10:28:13 AM
My 383 thats in my car has a set 906 440 heads and a purple shaft cam with an offey intake with two 4 bbl edelbrock 600 carbs. When i kill it it turns over for a sec then dies.

It can be that you have an issue with the voltage regulator, when you turn off the key, you still have some current in the wires, and that then causes the engine run for a few seconds..

/Tom

Ghoste

The regulator is only switching on and off the current coming off the alternator to ensure that the battery isn't overcharged but there is still sufficient to supply any loads over and above what the battery can supply.

cudaken

Try better gas, or back off the timing just a little.

Cuda Ken
I am back

darkside

I'm putting the mopar performance electronic ign. kit and a msd blaster coil in tomorrow.

myk

That's what I've used for the last 10 years.  The pickup/condensor/relcutor, whatever you wanna' call it, is the only part of the entire system that has gone bad...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

cudaken

I sit mine at 10 degress BTC. Make sure you set the timing with out the vauccme advances hooked up.

Cuda Ken
I am back

myk

I'm set at 15+.  'Chryco once said that some engines tend to run better the more that they're retarded and it proved to be right in my case...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"