News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Hemi Charger FINAL update: 06/05/2009 - Gone

Started by hemi68charger, January 17, 2009, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Well,, knocked out some more on the car today.. Got the grille header from the powder coaters on Friday, came out great. May be a wee bit too glossy, but it almost matches the original unweathered area nicely... Then I went ahead and painted the core support front face... Think it came out well.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemidog

1969chargerrtse

That is some amazing work.  Fantastic!   :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

69*F5*SE

jaak

472 R/T SE

Thank you for painting that rad support.  :icon_smile_wink:

Fanf7ckingtastic job Troy. 

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

hemi68charger

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 10, 2009, 10:40:25 PM

I know !!!!  I started getting sick of looking at it, but then when I painted it, it was such a change I was like, "What the heck did I do !!??"... But, then, I came back down and realized, it's exactly what I needed to do.... I thought the grille header would slip in there easily,, nope, it's definitely a two-person process to be safe. The outer edges get tricky trying to snake the top and headlamp buckets under and around the fenders...

So all know, there are componets, like the coil and such, that are temporarily "stored" in position waiting for either a new component or to be restored... From here, looks like I have some yucky coil on a freshly restored motor............ Naaaaaaa

Thanks to everyone..
Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Hemidoug

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 11, 2009, 06:21:57 AM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 10, 2009, 10:40:25 PM

I know !!!!  I started getting sick of looking at it, but then when I painted it, it was such a change I was like, "What the heck did I do !!??"... But, then, I came back down and realized, it's exactly what I needed to do.... I thought the grille header would slip in there easily,, nope, it's definitely a two-person process to be safe. The outer edges get tricky trying to snake the top and headlamp buckets under and around the fenders...

So all know, there are componets, like the coil and such, that are temporarily "stored" in position waiting for either a new component or to be restored... From here, looks like I have some yucky coil on a freshly restored motor............ Naaaaaaa

Thanks to everyone..
Troy

Troy,
You do know that you should mount the grill FIRST....then install the header panel on the car....and yes, you need two (or better 3) people......

MOUNT THE GRILL FIRST! If you don't you will be removing it again..... :Twocents:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemidoug on May 11, 2009, 12:02:27 PM

Troy,
You do know that you should mount the grill FIRST....then install the header panel on the car....and yes, you need two (or better 3) people......

MOUNT THE GRILL FIRST! If you don't you will be removing it again..... :Twocents:

Hey Doug... What I had planned on doing was placing the header in position basically to get it out of the way of potential scratching or whatever. I would take it out again and mount the grille in once repainted. Then, I realized what a pain it is to position it under and around the front fenders.. Geezzzzz. To be honest, this isn't one thing I've done in recent memory, take a grille out and reinstall on a 2nd gen. You have to remember, I've been tinkering with this Charger 500 forever and the grille is, to put it mildly, much easier to mess it.....  :icon_smile_big:

Guess my attention needs to be redirected onto the grille while I'm waiting on some heater box parts.. The resto. of the grille should be easy enough, granted there's a lot of masking for the painting.....

That begs the question Doug, which paint, if you did it, did you use on the grille surround and black. I'd like to be able to do this myself....

Troy

PS: Just  discovered all the grille restoration threads in the database section of paint, body & trim
Troy

69*F5*SE

For the silver I used Totally Auto's "Grille Silver".  Some people say it's not exact but, it's close enough for me.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on May 11, 2009, 01:33:40 PM
For the silver I used Totally Auto's "Grille Silver".  Some people say it's not exact but, it's close enough for me.
is that a cuda charger  ???    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

resq302

Quote from: moparstuart on May 11, 2009, 01:41:54 PM
is that a cuda charger  ???    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

1 of 1 proto type.   :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69*F5*SE

Hemidoug

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 11, 2009, 12:19:43 PM

Troy,

Hey Doug... What I had planned on doing was placing the header in position basically to get it out of the way of potential scratching or whatever. I would take it out again and mount the grille in once repainted. Then, I realized what a pain it is to position it under and around the front fenders.. Geezzzzz. To be honest, this isn't one thing I've done in recent memory, take a grille out and reinstall on a 2nd gen. You have to remember, I've been tinkering with this Charger 500 forever and the grille is, to put it mildly, much easier to mess it.....  :icon_smile_big:

Guess my attention needs to be redirected onto the grille while I'm waiting on some heater box parts.. The resto. of the grille should be easy enough, granted there's a lot of masking for the painting.....

That begs the question Doug, which paint, if you did it, did you use on the grille surround and black. I'd like to be able to do this myself....

Troy

PS: Just  discovered all the grille restoration threads in the database section of paint, body & trim

Troy,

I used the Totally Auto paints.....I used oven cleaner to strip the old paint (believe me it works), cleaned it up with some steelwool, taped it and sprayed it. I did the sliver areas first, waited a few days and taped them over and did the black... :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemidoug on May 11, 2009, 04:06:47 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on May 11, 2009, 12:19:43 PM

Troy,

Troy

Troy,

I used the Totally Auto paints.....I used oven cleaner to strip the old paint (believe me it works), cleaned it up with some steelwool, taped it and sprayed it. I did the sliver areas first, waited a few days and taped them over and did the black... :2thumbs:

Scuffed up the plastic with steelwool?
Troy

Hemidoug

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 11, 2009, 04:36:48 PM

Yea...just use a light touch where there is any ruff spots/remaining paint...the new paint will fill it no problem...

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemidoug on May 11, 2009, 04:56:41 PM

Yea...just use a light touch where there is any ruff spots/remaining paint...the new paint will fill it no problem...

Cool..
I'll head up to the attic and get the grille sections and start at it.... Even though she's on the market, I can't stop tinkering on her.. lol  If I get this Daytona, then it'll be fresh meat..
Troy

Hemidoug

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 11, 2009, 05:58:38 PM
Quote from: Hemidoug on May 11, 2009, 04:56:41 PM

Cool..
I'll head up to the attic and get the grille sections and start at it.... Even though she's on the market, I can't stop tinkering on her.. lol  If I get this Daytona, then it'll be fresh meat..

Just remember....it needs to be clean, clean, clean...... :2thumbs: You're gonna need some tooth brushes.....the harder the better...

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemidoug on May 11, 2009, 06:06:58 PM

Just remember....it needs to be clean, clean, clean...... :2thumbs:

I typically on metal items, give a final rubbing down with either carb cleaner or paint thinner... What did you use on the plastic?

Troy

Hemidoug

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 11, 2009, 06:12:22 PM
Quote from: Hemidoug on May 11, 2009, 06:06:58 PM

Just remember....it needs to be clean, clean, clean...... :2thumbs:

I typically on metal items, give a final rubbing down with either carb cleaner or paint thinner... What did you use on the plastic?

Hot soapy water followed by a blast with some dry air and clean papertowels...NO chemicals other then the oven cleaner to strip the paint....once most of the paint is gone degrease, hot soapy water and a good scrub. Rinse and repeat until it's as clean as possible.

runningman

Looks good!  :cheers: