News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Hemi Charger FINAL update: 06/05/2009 - Gone

Started by hemi68charger, January 17, 2009, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Well, after nearly 30 years, there's a hemi in between the fenders of this hemi '68 Charger R/T... It was a fun-packed day with two buddies Scott and Teddy... They were ever so helpful with the process.. I utilized the dolly setup Dave made for me.. All in all, it was dang well smooth.. We learned alot about the process and didn't damage anything, not a chip one... This is my first attempt at below installation and it's the only way to go.....

Well, without further udo, pictures..... You guys don't wanna hear me banter...  :icon_smile_big:

The tranny will not stay in... It needs to be rebuilt, but I'm tired of no front suspension.. I can alway take it out later when I'm ready to fork out the cash for the tranny rebuild....

Yes, there are things still left to be done that I haven't addressed, i.e, the black out treatment on the core support, the gear box, the struts, etc..... Alot of stuff is placed on for "storage" and "accountability"... Got tired of putting a part some where and then years later, wondered where it was..... But, needless to say, this is a major shot in the arm...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

more........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

more part3.....
Troy

hemi68charger

more.....
Troy

Charger-Bodie

No offense Troy, but the biggest benifit of installing the engine from underneath is that you can have all the other stuff assembled in the compartment...ie booster , wiper motor wiring etc.

Any reason you didnt do all that stuff first?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

below,
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 17, 2009, 09:00:41 PM
No offense Troy, but the biggest benifit of installing the engine from underneath is that you can have all the other stuff assembled in the compartment...ie booster , wiper motor wiring etc.

I don't have all the money to get all the new stuff I want.. My biggest thing about putting the engine from underneath is not having to deal with the hood and such...... In a perfect world, all the stuff you mentioned would have been done.. All the other stuff I can do even with the motor in..........  But, we all know this isn't a perfect world when you live on the edge....

Troy
Troy

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 17, 2009, 09:07:41 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on January 17, 2009, 09:00:41 PM

I don't have all the money to get all the new stuff I want.. My biggest thing about putting the engine from underneath is not having to deal with the hood and such...... In a perfect world, all the stuff you mentioned would have been done.. All the other stuff I can do even with the motor in..........  But, we all know this isn't a perfect world when you live on the edge....

Troy

Gotcha!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

General_01

Looks like a smooth install. Congrats. I know this has been a long time coming for you.

P.S.-I see all the other Chargers in the neighborhood came to watch too. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

500hp_440

Let it alone^.

Rolling_Thunder

Yeah - there really is no way i would ever drop an engine in from above again - Troy - looking good!   I'll post pics of when I do mine...     no cherry picker involved with the way I do it  :nana:   pretty simple and very effective for sure -  :2thumbs: 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68RT4ME

Got you message Troy. Nice job there buddy. It's got to be a great sense of relief and accomplishment or you bro.. Congrats and keep up the great work.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

69bronzeT5

Dana...:drool5:....that red '69...:drool5:....the Hemi and the '68... :drool5: AND OF COURSE....the shop.... :drool5:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Red Ram

Congrats!  :cheers:

Looks like the other Chargers are observers at a surgical procedure!
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

Todd Wilson

Its coming together!  My luck though if I was doing it the thing woulda fell off the rear jack stands.. YIKES!  I was puckered just looking at the pictures.

Todd

tan top

looks to have been a good day  :yesnod: .awesome work .. first time a Hemi  between the frame rails in 30 years ...Eh   :coolgleamA:   keep the pictures coming  :drool5: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

six-tee-nine

boy I'd kill for a shop like that....

Then I'm not even talking about the cars you have in it.... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Lookin' good Troy!

Specs on the '69?  R6 :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 17, 2009, 11:33:18 PM
Dana...:drool5:....that red '69...:drool5:....the Hemi and the '68... :drool5: AND OF COURSE....the shop.... :drool5:

Man, you're going to give my white '70 six pack Charger R/T a complex.. Dana hitting it's younger '70 brother..  :slap:

Quote from: Todd Wilson on January 18, 2009, 12:26:58 AM
Its coming together!  My luck though if I was doing it the thing woulda fell off the rear jack stands.. YIKES!  I was puckered just looking at the pictures.

Todd

I'm with ya.. Since we have the jacks on the tubes of the rear, it made for a good pivot point. Believe me, we checked, double checked and then went and looked again during the process.

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on January 18, 2009, 06:36:30 AM
Lookin' good Troy!

Specs on the '69?  R6 :scratchchin:

Chris, that's Scott's R6 440 4-on-the-floor with white interior.. I'll have him contact you to pass on his information. On a side note, I saw the upper door pads from Mike at BE&A. They look great.........

Quote from: 68RT4ME on January 17, 2009, 11:29:09 PM
Got you message Troy. Nice job there buddy. It's got to be a great sense of relief and accomplishment or you bro.. Congrats and keep up the great work.

Thanks Andy and all..... I know for sure since this things coming together I'll have one killer '68 or that dream 'Tona..

Troy
Troy

SnoPro440

2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

Mopar2Ya

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

WingCharger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 17, 2009, 11:33:18 PM
I AGREE!!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

A HEMI, WHAT ELSE COULD YOU WANT??? :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

69_500

Looks good Troy.

Although wouldn't it look even better if that car had a nose cone and a wing?  :cheers: You know I had to say it right?

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on January 18, 2009, 02:08:15 PM
Looks good Troy.

Although wouldn't it look even better if that car had a nose cone and a wing?  :cheers: You know I had to say it right?

I haven't given up......... Even if it means losing out on Dana in order to get a done Daytona.... Then I would still have the six pack '70......

Troy

69_500

I didn't figure you had given up just yet. Might be a tad harder once you take that HEMI car for a spin though instead of just tinkering on it in the garage. But I get the impression your like me, a HEMI car would be nice, but a Daytona would be GREAT.