News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

People who've been job hunting....

Started by 69bronzeT5, January 18, 2009, 12:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

How's job hunting been going? Any luck? I've had one hell of a time... :brickwall:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

4cruzin

Times are tough these days.  Sure is alot of people losing their jobs and homes.  Sad days for sure.   :rotz:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

TheGhost

I've got a few prospects, thankfully.  It's been over a month since I've gotten a paycheck.  I'm flat broke.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

mikepmcs

Still looking for the right job since leaving the military.  I had hoped it would have panned out in the body shop world but not around here.  Besides I found out that I needed to work at a restoration shop and not a collision center.  I was just too quality conscious I guess and the boss' son and I started butting heads mainly because he just doesn't care what the product looks like.  I'm the one who had to face the customer and it was a nightmare sometimes...ooohh long story, I just assume forget about it. Shame, cause I was getting really good at it.  I learned quite a bit and now know the right and wrong way to do things.   Didn't matter, I wasn't an employee anyway, I was just helping the owner out cause he's a friend.  So I just walked away the week before christmas.  Basically, I haven't had a job since March 1st 2007.

The issue with retired military is we are too loyal and want to stay at the first job we get after departing the military, and over 60% of the time it's not the case.  That's my issue, I don't want to bounce around.  All that being said, I have applied to the VA(veterans administration) 4 times now for different positions and it looks like this time might be the one. Interviews are this week or the week after and I was called.  It is getting in on the ground floor but it is a foot in the door and it's a federal job.  I don't plan on being a file runner for long and hope to do my required time and move up quickly :2thumbs: 
It's very tough to get in as an external hire as they hire internally for the most part.
Bottom line is I'm helping Veterans. 
I suggest anyone looking for employment to look at a federal/government job such as the VA or something similar, it's very stable employment.

Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

WingCharger

Not too many people want to hire a 14 year old... :brickwall:.

hemi-hampton

Mike. Sorry to hear about that body shop job loss. BUT, it was inevitable, been there done that 100 times now unfortunately. I know that routine only to well. LEON.

mikepmcs

Thanks Leon.  It's ok, my first order of business when I get stable employment is to build another garage, with a lift, etc.... and provisions for a little paint and body as well.   :2thumbs:

I'll just do it anyway on my own with sound advice from members like yourself. :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Silver R/T

Its hard to find a job in body shop for me also. they all want 5+ yr experience at another shop, no home projects.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

I've never stayed longer then 2 years in a Body shop, It all goes to hell by then. :brickwall: :brickwall:

Beer

Mike...we still may need ET's/ ITs on my rig...two weeks on two weeks off.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Chad L. Magee

Lately, it has been positive for me.  Last friday, I had an interview with a community college for a teaching position and it went quite well (I will know the results next week).  While not the highest paying job in my career field by any means, it would at least be a starting point and get some $ back into my wallet (after paying bills).  I have been contemplating on writing a grant proposal for a little research project that has been stored away for a rainy day (I have a knack of inventing new materials and then spending time finding their potential uses, the reverse of what a typical inventor does).  But, the economy has to perk up before that will even get the light of day.  If I wait it out a few more years, I should be in a good situation as alot of the senior scientists (baby boomers) will be retiring in droves and much fewer people are going  into my particular field as education becomes more expensive as time goes on.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......