News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hold off if you plan to buy any expensive electronics until...

Started by TruckDriver, January 16, 2009, 12:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Circuit City to closes & liquidates its remaining 567 U.S. stores and sells off all its merchandise cheap. I might have to think about a big screen :scratchchin:

Circuit City to shut down
Court filing shows bankrupt electronics retailer seeks approval to sell merchandise in its remaining 567 stores.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/companies/circuit_city/
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

jb666

:o Ouch.. A buddy of mine was looking for a computer the other day, he says "I might try CC". I told him to stay out of there (he likes to have his extended in-store warranties)

mikepmcs

IMO, that's one of the reasons CC is a failure.  They have the worst warranty/guarantee I've ever seen.  I wouldn't buy anything from that place just for that reason.  Best Buy for me baby. 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

PocketThunder

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 16, 2009, 12:36:34 PM
IMO, that's one of the reasons CC is a failure.  They have the worst warranty/guarantee I've ever seen.  I wouldn't buy anything from that place just for that reason.  Best Buy for me baby. 

i went in there once to buy some blank dvds or something small and the reciept was like 2 feet long!   :lol:   :lol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

The Mad Scientist

I went to the circuit cidy location here in Norman.  It's pretty sad and funny because they just finished building it a year or so ago and now it's going belly up. 

I can see why too.  None of the hold out still employed were thankful to still be working there.  They all acted like they hated it or were bored out of their mind.  And even with advertized 40% or more off everything.  The TV's were still outrageously overpriced.  as in still several hundred dollars cheaper to go to best buy or ultimate electronics or *shudder* Wal Mart. 

bull

Yea, we'll see how good their liquidation sale is. In my experience most of these going-out-of-business sales are a joke where big money is generated off the backs of uninformed or ill-informed shoppers. I've seen it happen before, a business announces it's going under and the place is inundated with people buying all the high-end stuff like crazy for prices you could get at any number of other places around town. By the time the initial fervor is over, when the place would normally be lowering its prices to liquidate the remaining product, there's nothing left but shelving, pegboard and busted TV stands.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on January 16, 2009, 02:04:54 PM
Yea, we'll see how good their liquidation sale is. In my experience most of these going-out-of-business sales are a joke where big money is generated off the backs of uninformed or ill-informed shoppers. I've seen it happen before, a business announces it's going under and the place is inundated with people buying all the high-end stuff like crazy for prices you could get at any number of other places around town. By the time the initial fervor is over, when the place would normally be lowering its prices to liquidate the remaining product, there's nothing left but shelving, pegboard and busted TV stands.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/33343
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 16, 2009, 02:36:50 PM
Quote from: bull on January 16, 2009, 02:04:54 PM

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/33343

Yup. And one other obvious thing I almost mentioned (that this article did) is that if/when you spend $500-$1,500 at these places you're really hanging your a$$ out in the wind. If you plug it in and nothing works good luck getting the manufacturer to help you out.

Silver R/T

I've heard same stories about best buy also. And just cause there's "Clearance sale" etc etc I don't go out and spend my money. It's all a spoof, they're still making profits at their "clearance" prices cause they marked up original prices so much.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

The70RT

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 16, 2009, 06:30:33 PM

I've heard same stories about best buy also. And just cause there's "Clearance sale" etc etc I don't go out and spend my money. It's all a spoof, they're still making profits at their "clearance" prices cause they marked up original prices so much.

Yep.....been there done that. Checked some October prices and printed them out and never went. (07) The day after Christmas they had a sale and WTF....they were the same as October prices and people were knocked on thier asses trying to bum rush the place  :eyes:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

Quote from: The70RT on January 16, 2009, 06:44:17 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on January 16, 2009, 06:30:33 PM

Yep.....been there done that. Checked some October prices and printed them out and never went. (07) The day after Christmas they had a sale and WTF....they were the same as October prices and people were knocked on thier asses trying to bum rush the place  :eyes:

Didn't one of those fools get himself trampled to death at a WalMart on Black Friday '08?

Silver R/T

Ya, story was on the news. What a lousy way to go.
God: So, you died trying to save $20 on I-pod?
Wally Shopper: Yes, God. I'd rather steak out whole night to save $20 than get enough sleep and work a bit more at work to afford what I want for Christmas.
God: Wow, you really are a tight wad.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RallyeMike

Jeeeezus! I just turned in my flat screen on warranty repair. I hope I can get it back  :RantExplode:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/