News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Rt Question

Started by richsrodncustom, January 15, 2009, 07:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger RT Question

charger
2 (28.6%)
charger rt
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

richsrodncustom

Hello I purchaced a 68 Charger Shell No dash or fender tag I have the vin tag off the dash but no dash. My quesion is The steering column is still there and its a automatic on the column no braces for a floor shifter, The person i purchaced it from swears up and down its a rt, How many RTs came with a column shift? Is it a plain charger with a rt vin tag? Any other way that i can tell if its a RT?  Thanks

69charger2002

the VIN should be XS29L8 starting out for R/T. unless you have a magical hemi car, which would be XS29J8.. the column shift has nothing to do with r/t designation, plenty chargers were made both ways.. other ways to tell if it's an R/T.. extra leaves on right side springs(6 on left side 7 on right if i remember correctly).. fender tag(if there) should have XS29 on the bottom row first 4 digits.
hope this helps
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

dpm68

What he says. My old 68 R/T was ordered with a column shift also. No biggie. I tossed in a correct console, since back in the early 80s, the energetic (I'm being nice here) previous owner did a hatchet job (literally) the trans tunnel and put a B&M in it. I Didn't mean to steer this post off course, but again, plenty of R/Ts shifted like a taxicab. One reason for this is convenience, and a profound love for the buddy seat. - dave

Mike DC

Yeah, the column shifter is not proof of a lesser-optioned car.  Not with a 1968 Charger. 

The plastic console & floor shifter was the standard Charger setup, although it was an extra-cost option on other B-bodies. 

The shifter was moved back to the column if you ordered the optional "buddy seat"/armrest thingy between the front seats in place of the console. 

Chargers in the late 1960s were standard with front bucket seats.  The lowest possible B-body setup, the front bench seat & column shifter, was not available on 1968 and 1969 Chargers.  (That setup was finally first available starting in 1970, as they trimmed some things back to drop the lowest price to buy a Charger.)

Mike DC

BTW:  The car's VIN number should still be stamped into the sheetmetal of the trunk weatherstripping channel on the left side.  It's under where the rubber weatherstripping itself.

The numbers are originally on the radiator support up front as well, although this location is more well-known and commonly pirated along with the VIN plates & fender tags. 

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 15, 2009, 11:02:05 PM
BTW:  The car's VIN number should still be stamped into the sheetmetal of the trunk weatherstripping channel on the left side.  It's under where the rubber weatherstripping itself.

The numbers are originally on the radiator support up front as well, although this location is more well-known and commonly pirated along with the VIN plates & fender tags. 

Just to clarify, the VIN number won't be there on a 68 - it's the SON (from the fender tag). The VIN would be on the engine and trans but it sounds like those are missing.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 15, 2009, 10:55:17 PM

The plastic console & floor shifter was the standard Charger setup, although it was an extra-cost option on other B-bodies. 

Mike, the console was optional in '68.

A column automatic would have been standard on an R/T. If the console was ordered, the shifter was moved to the floor. The console was N/A with the arm rest 'buddy seat'.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bull

If your "buddy" was a 5' 110-lb. blonde girl back in '68 the buddy seat with auto column shift was the clear choice, R/T or not.

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: richsrodncustom on January 15, 2009, 07:58:02 PM
Hello I purchaced a 68 Charger Shell No dash or fender tag I have the vin tag off the dash but no dash. My quesion is The steering column is still there and its a automatic on the column no braces for a floor shifter, The person i purchaced it from swears up and down its a rt, How many RTs came with a column shift? Is it a plain charger with a rt vin tag? Any other way that i can tell if its a RT?  Thanks
First off your buddy shouldn't be swearing, let alone jumping up and down. What's the scoop, is the tag XS29 as in RT or XP29 as in standard Charger?  :popcrn:

BronzeOnSteelies

Yep mine has a column shift and buddy seat with the appropriate R/T "XS's" on the tags.

Mark
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T