News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas tank installation

Started by green69rt, April 02, 2009, 10:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Getting close to putting the gas tank in my car.  I understand the basics but some details may escape me.  Does the tank just fit tight up against the tank brace and is held in place by the straps?  How do you know how tight to make the straps?  Are there any bumpers, cushions or other things that are used to reduce rattles or metal to metal wear??

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: green69rt on April 02, 2009, 10:09:03 PM
Getting close to putting the gas tank in my car.  I understand the basics but some details may escape me.  Does the tank just fit tight up against the tank brace and is held in place by the straps?  How do you know how tight to make the straps?  Are there any bumpers, cushions or other things that are used to reduce rattles or metal to metal wear??

On the second gens there is a mat that goes between the tank and the body.The mat I have from Year One fits 68-70 and has two part6 numbers on it.

JH100 and 01-RA-16-4-C

Cheers,

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

terrible one

Yep, get the pad or something else of similar material and function that goes between the tank and the trunk floor. Definitely go ahead and install the sending unit before you put the tank in. What I did then was hook the gas tank straps into position at the rear of the car, positioned the tank on top of the straps that were now hanging down, then lifted the whole assembly into place long enough for me to get the nut on the j-bolts started so that it was held up. From there, I simply made sure the tank was in the perfect position and tightened the j-bolts evenly and until the tank was completely snug.

maxwellwedge

Clamp the fuel hoses on the tank before putting it in. Makes life a little easier  :2thumbs:

green69rt

Thanks to all.  A little extra knowledge goes a long way.  I think I feel that the installation will be more correct now.  It would probably work before but now will be better.

FJ5WING

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 03, 2009, 09:58:13 PM
Clamp the fuel hoses on the tank before putting it in. Makes life a little easier  :2thumbs:

what a great idea! :2thumbs: will be put to use for sure. :icon_smile_wink:
wingless now, but still around.

green69rt

Quote from: green69rt on April 03, 2009, 11:19:51 PM
Thanks to all.  A little extra knowledge goes a long way.  I think I feel that the installation will be more correct now.  It would probably work before but now will be better.

So a new question... if I buy a tank from Y1 or someone else should I coat it with something before I hang it and what about the straps??  Stainless, stock, my first inclination is to put in stock stuff.  The decisions seem endless!!!

terrible one

You have a few options. You could coat it with a rust inhibitor to keep the natural look, clear coat it, paint it completely, etc. I personally like the natural look and coated mine with clear rust inhibitor. It's been sitting around for a few months now and still looks new and shiny. I went with stainless steel straps off of Ebay. Got them for around $60, I think stocks were like $35 or so, I figured WTH I want something shiny!  :shruggy: